Looking for opinions of BenQ W500 LCD Projector

I have no personal experience with this PJ...but i'm pretty sure you can easily find people at AVSforum who do. At that price and that resolution...I'd be willing to be you can find plenty of RL users who have it.

It's hard to find a review site that isn't biased

Which is why I go to AVS. You are getting opinions from 50+ people who actually own the PJ in the sub $3k group. When I bought my Z2...I knew pretty much all the good, bad, and the ugly of item. There is also a good chance of finding comparison threads as well of two similar items.

BTW...which is why I come here for reviews...not biased, just facts.

OK, will check out AVS and Projectorcentral. Thanks.

Recently I was researching subwoofers and it was reading comments at AVS that steered me away from the Paradigm PS1000 subwoofer as I was looking for a sub that is good for music and not just HT. I did go listen to the PS1000 and they were right that it is too flabby sounding for music. Very good at the price for HT though.

OK, will check out AVS and Projectorcentral. Thanks.

Recently I was researching subwoofers and it was reading comments at AVS that steered me away from the Paradigm PS1000 subwoofer as I was looking for a sub that is good for music and not just HT. I did go listen to the PS1000 and they were right that it is too flabby sounding for music. Very good at the price for HT though.

The hard part of AVS is not so much the noise level caused by the morons...but also the noise level caused by the people who are smart AND have too much money. If you spend enough time there...your filters can usually tune out both ends.

The hard part of AVS is not so much the noise level caused by the morons...but also the noise level caused by the people who are smart AND have too much money. If you spend enough time there...your filters can usually tune out both ends.
Oftentimes people fall into both categories there :p

But yea i'll have to agree, for consumer electronics info the avsforums is the best place to go.

OK, I've gone ahead and ordered the BenQ W500 online as it is in the top 5 picks in it class over at AVS. I don't want to spend big bucks and the only real downside I can see to this projector is that I would have liked one with more lumens. I can compensate for that by making my room darker if need be. Thanks all.

OK, I've gone ahead and ordered the BenQ W500 online as it is in the top 5 picks in it class over at AVS. I don't want to spend big bucks and the only real downside I can see to this projector is that I would have liked one with more lumens. I can compensate for that by making my room darker if need be. Thanks all.

Good on yah for pulling the trigger. As long as you don't go looking for flaws...most PJ's in that price class do a fan-freaking-tastic job. Just make sure you stay far far away from AVS so the upgrade itch doesn't bite you. :eek:

OK, will do. It's going to be interesting getting it all set up as it requires some hard thinking about where I am going to place my PC etc. I live in an apartment so am a bit short on space. At least I don't have one of those significant others that thinks speakers are plant stands so I can design it how I like and not be bothered with keeping everything colour coordinated. It's going to be a geeks paradise. :)

That keystone adjustable left and right will be perfect for a small apartment install, then, because it will give you more left/right range of where you can put it. As I said in the other thread I own a benq DLP LCD projector for 2.5 years about 2500 hours run time and I think it a fantastic value. It is one of the best things I have ever bought. I own the 610 model and I would not hesitate to buy another benq. I have no bias, just my own experience. No company is paying me in any way for my opinion and I don't work for any or own stock in any of the companies.

Compared to all the people who spent thousands on plasma screens that have burn in problems and the cost of other flat screens that pay three times the cost for 1/3 of the screen size these LCD projectors are an absolute steal. The only investment you might want to make besides this is the best light blocking window shade you can buy. Since ambient light does wash out the picture quality.

Mine only has the up/down keystone adjustment so left/right positioning was more critical. I used a laser level and did a ceiling mount. Once it was set up it has run absolutely flawlessly and I am typing to you using it as the monitor screen right now.

You want to know more, google it. Maybe find a google macro that does only forums and reviews or write one yourself?

Superb price. I got the screen throw in my package price, too. I would easily do it all again!

about the small apartment issue... the only issue you might run into is how far from the screen the projector needs to be. It might not have enough room from the screen for the full screen size if mounted to go across the width of the room.

So it most likely will need to go along the length of a room. For me this worked perfectly in the living room. I put the screen in front of the window and the projector mounted across the other side of the room about 1.5 feet from the wall.

What I did was play around with it first on just a coffee table for a few days until I figured out where I thought the best ceiling mount installation would work. I also went the extra step to modify the bracket so I can run the cables in through the top of the bracket and through its tube. Doing so I used a stud sensor to get two of the support screws into a stud -- it is not needed, but I tend to overengineer things. This way, should an accident happen, like some one decides to hang from the bracket the whole unit will not come down.

Just a few other things I did trying to perfect it. I'm very happy with how it turned out. Like I said try it on a coffee table for a few days while you perfect what will work best for your place. When you install it don't skimp on strong DUAL locks -- these units have been targeted by thieves. Often teen gamers. One college was broken into and they went for dozens of these. NASA has a really cool set up you should check out, btw. They overlap and can do a whole panaramic view from the martian landers!

Back