• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for new sound card

Boyo

Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
626
I have had nothing but trouble with my onboard audio on my mobo, so I think I have no choice but to spend yet more money to get some sound. Can anyone recommend a good soundcard? I was looking at this Asus, but I really have no idea on which card to get.
 
Pricerange?
What are you using it for (gaming, movies, music)?
Any features or specific connections you want?
 
Might be able to help more if you gave us some parameters.
Price range, uses, etc. just for music, just for movies, just for games, for all of the above????
I will throw in the anything but creative vote now.
 
I apologize for not giving enough info. I want to keep the card under $75.00. I will be using the soundcard for gaming, music and movies. I only have a 2.1 speaker setup, but the onboard audio is killing me and I need to get a soundcard to be able to play the games and movies I want.
 
How does that sound?

Like a $50 audio card. I have to agree that $90-100 audio cards are worlds better than <$75. Good audio cards basically start at $90. But if you're not willing to spend that much in your pricerange:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132013

If you can stretch to $80:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024

If you are willing to spend up to $100 you can get some much better cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

Just a reminder to download the latest drivers instead of using the ones that come on the cd in the box, it makes a world of difference.
 
Like a $50 audio card. I have to agree that $90-100 audio cards are worlds better than <$75. Good audio cards basically start at $90. But if you're not willing to spend that much in your pricerange:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132013

If you can stretch to $80:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024

If you are willing to spend up to $100 you can get some much better cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

Just a reminder to download the latest drivers instead of using the ones that come on the cd in the box, it makes a world of difference.

These are all great looking cards, but it leaves me still deciding which is the best for my system. I guess I will have to narrow it down on my own, but thanks for all the recommendations. That helps a lot.
 
Or you could keep giving us details and let us narrow it down for you....

I would strongly advice you stretch at least $80.

Proportionally how much gaming do you do versus music and movies (like 80% gaming 20% music)?
 
I have decided to open up my price range to $100.00. I want a card that will be compatible for gaming and movies, which my current onboard audio won't let me run due to some sort of driver problems which I can't seem to fix.

I would say I game 60% and play movies/music 40%. I hope that helps.
 
I got one of these off of Ebay for $100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102021

If you don't want/need the drive bay attachement, you can get the regular one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024

And if you don't have an extra pci-e slot, then get a PCI based one:
The one on newegg is the "gamer", http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006

but if it was me, I would look for a used Xtreme Music... On ebay it is only $23 shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/Creative-Sound-...647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35acd9195f

I still have one and it works great.

In about 15 years I've only ever had one Creative Labs sound card die on me.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, guys. I pulled the trigger on an x-fi titanium card....hope that solves some of my problems. thanks for all the help.
 
Back
Top