Looking for New sound card.. suggestions?

Xazax

Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
632
Hey all, i just bought a Medusa 5.1 Home edition Headset(which sounds great BTW!) and to really get this bad boy headset rocking im looking at getting a new sound card, atm im using a X-FI Audio which is just junk IMHO.. looking for something better what do you guys recommend? i noticed ASUS has released some sound cards.. are they any good?
 
I thought the M-Audio 24/96 Sound card was really nice. Been using it in a customer's computer for awhile and it sounds very nice. ~$100.
 
Gaming and music.. i dont record or play anything.. i also use Medua 5.1 Headphones
 
I would get a real X-Fi (The Xtreme Audio is not an X-Fi chip) or one of the ASUS Xonar cards.
 
Gaming and music.. i dont record or play anything.. i also use Medua 5.1 Headphones

If you game a lot get a real X-Fi, the Asus Sonar have problems with it's emulated EAX in games.
 
I thought the M-Audio 24/96 Sound card was really nice. Been using it in a customer's computer for awhile and it sounds very nice. ~$100.
Unless this machine is XP-only, buying any M-Audio product is ill-advised, unfortunately. M-Audio hasn't made many strides with their Vista drivers.

If you game a lot get a real X-Fi, the Asus Sonar have problems with it's emulated EAX in games.
You know, that's something I keep hearing, but nothing I've seen corroborated. Obviously DS3D-GX isn't perfect, nor even all that fantastic, but what problems are you referring to, specifically?

 
You know, that's something I keep hearing, but nothing I've seen corroborated. Obviously DS3D-GX isn't perfect, nor even all that fantastic, but what problems are you referring to, specifically?

Its hard to quantify, but the positioning/effects just don't sound right. The X-Fi sounds a lot better on EAX 4/5 games.

The Xonar is still a great card if you don't really care about EAX.
 
Problem is my new motherboard doesnt have any PCI slots on it PCI-E slots 2x 16 and 1 x1 PCI-E 1x 4 PCI-E
 
but you lose the ability to connect headphones via the front panel hookups

You do? It looks like it has the pins for a front panel hookup.

frontpaneldm9.jpg


Looks identical to the Xtreme Gamer front panel output...
 
You do? It looks like it has the pins for a front panel hookup.

frontpaneldm9.jpg


Looks identical to the Xtreme Gamer front panel output...
I think it's like the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional which only has a 2x5-pin and requires you to buy one of the Creative front panels.
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=17927&nav=1

At least that what it looks like. I was in the process of installing my X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional when I found out and I've been online looking for solutions. Guess I'm just gonna have to buy the front panel kit, but apparently the Creative store is out of stock.


edit: I was wrong, the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional does have the standard connector.
 
Hey all, i just bought a Medusa 5.1 Home edition Headset(which sounds great BTW!) and to really get this bad boy headset rocking im looking at getting a new sound card, atm im using a X-FI Audio which is just junk IMHO.. looking for something better what do you guys recommend? i noticed ASUS has released some sound cards.. are they any good?

No it doesn't. Lol.

But yeah, the X-Fi cards are for gaming. Get one of those. Anything from the Xtreme Gamer and above.
 
Is there much audio difference between that SC and this cheaper version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

And will I still have the DirectSound Vista issues?

You won't have any issues if you get an X-Fi card and use Creative's ALchemy program. It detects your older EAX enabled games and converts the old directsound calls to a format that works on Vista. It works great.

If gaming is your main concern you're stuck with Creative.
 
Back
Top