Looking for new PSU- Modular/OCing/CrossFire 5850s

ruin97140

Weaksauce
My current PSU that is several years old is starting to growl, figure now would be a good time to replace it before it locked up on me.

Requirements-

Modular
Works well with OCing
Can support 2 HD5850's in CrossFire Configuration.

Note- I will be adding the second HD5850 Toxic soon, and will be adding a 1TB Hard drive and possibly an SSD.

I found these two PSU's that are on sale-

CORSAIR Professional Series AX750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139016

XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207001

Would either of these be enough to power my build? Do you have any better suggestions?

I am not looking to spend a ton of money, but I thought $150.00 wasn't too bad for a decent PSU.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

I'd say go for the AX750, should be plenty. Your system is probably only going to hit 500w at extreme loads.

The AX750 from Amazon as posted earlier would be the best option.

looks like the AX750 was only on sale for a day on Newegg.com for $149.99 ($129.99 after MIR) Price has gone up to $169.99 ($149.99 after MIR)

Amazon.com- I have to pay sales tax if I order from them since I live in Seattle. :(

Conclusion- Going to wait it out for another sale on the AX series. Maybe they will have a combo discount then for an AX series plus that 600T case? ;)

Another option is Ultra X4 PSUs. I own the 1050W version and love the modular cables. Ultra had the first truly modular PSUs that I could find a number of years ago before other companies began to follow.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4558896&Sku=U12-40504
I looked at the LSP models earlier today, I am quite intrigued by them. the 100% modular X4 models really look impressive.
Both the X4 and LSP lines are crap, especially LSP.

Did you really just suggest ultra? Which is one of the worst psu companies ever? I mean they have had a couple good psu lines like the X3, but they put out so much terrible crap that you might as well put a gun to your head. Seriously, do not buy ultra, absolute waste of money.

yeah, I don't think I could ever buy an ULTRA product after doing a build for a friend where we used one of their cases because fryz had one for really cheap. Thing was a real piece of junk, nothing lined up correctly and the whole case rattled when we turned it on.

I'll hold out for the Corsair AX.

It's too bad I'm just a peanut counter at my place of employment, Corsair is one of our clients. Maybe I can talk the owners into trying to get us a discount... one can dream right?

Thanks to everyone who offered their advice.

Hmmmm I was actually looking at an Ultra x4 450 today. I like that everything is modular. I am building a file server in a SFF case and do not need all the extra cables sticking out the back of the psu for video cards etc. Has anyone tried the Ultra x4's? Or can you recommend a psu that is entirely modular including the 24 pin cable?

Thanks for the heads up. The SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W is $10 cheaper than the Ultra x4, fully modular so I can sleeve everything individually easier, has a blue fan to match my case fans, and is the smallest size out of anything I have looked at 5.91" x 3.39" x 5.51". PERFECT! SOLD

X-750 is amazing, for $140 it's a great deal. I think seasonic is trying to clear stock out for the moderately updated X-660 and X-760, which leads to some nice deals now.

Seasonic X series, Corsair AX series, Silverstone Strider series. The X4 450W is garbage.

Turns out I need one a little shorter than 5.5" long. Anyone know of a fully modular psu like these but shorter length wise for SFF cases?

No Worries. I actually think I am going to go with a full size psu and may end up needing the shorter length wires so thanks for the heads up.

Back