• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking For New Phones

ighardcore

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 28, 2009
Messages
187
I'm looking for a new set of cans. I currently have ATH-AD700s for the office and razer earbuds at the house. I prefer full size headphones like the ATH-AD700s but after a couple years they started giving me a headache every time I put them on, and for some reason I feel like it's because of the dent they have put in my skull (I wear headphones 90% of the time I'm awake). I can't be for sure it's because of the pressure (they are very light on my head, I don't see why they give me a headache to be honest) but maybe it's something else.

I haven't been keeping track of headphone stuff lately so I just want to know what are comparable to the ATH-AD700s but suitable for the office (no sound leakage at all if possible, at a reasonable volume), full size and easy on the brain for someone with a sensitive skull (apparently)?

Budget would be around $75-150 tops.

I'm quite frustrated that my ATH-AD700s aren't comfortable to me anymore, I really love these headphones!
 
Last edited:
AD900 is a nice upgrade, my favorite for a while now has been the Beyer DT990 Premium 600ohm, can also be purchased at 250ohm.

Sennheiser HD600/650 are good, 598 if you like the darker sound they offer.

Best place for suggestions may be over at Head-Fi :p

P.s.
What amp are you currently using? What sound card?
 
Might not be the headphones causing the headache. You can't get much lighter btw. The only ones which way less are the Sony MDR-MA900. Those are open but so are your AD700s.

Is the headache directly from the headphones? Like when you put them on it hurts where they touch your head? I ask bc it could be the way you are sitting and/or tilting your head causing issues too.

AD900 is a terrible idea. Their pads are flat and crappy. Plus they are open headphones. An 900x would be a good choice though.
 
Yea I get the same kind of headaches every time I put these headphones on (usually within 10-15 minutes nowadays, used to take a lot longer, and before that it never happened). It's just a dull ache that slowly gets worse & worse, from where the phones are sitting on the side of my head (just above the ears). If I move them forward a bit, I lose sound quality but it doesn't bother me as much (resting the back of the can on my ear instead of on my head behind my ear). I don't know if this is isolated to just these headphones or if it's something I'll have to deal with forever (ugh).

I don't have an amp or soundcard here at the office, unfortunately. I would be open to USB devices if they improve the sound quality at all without much impact on performance of the PC itself (it's already pretty slow!).

I will look at the recommendations y'all provided, thank you. :)
 
I used to get those headaches. I still do every once in awhile, especially with my Grados or Sennheisers. For me it seems the problem is either the clamping force or the point where the pads meet my head if they are in a bad position, including the headband.

The headphones that give me the least issues are my Q701s. Initially when I got them they weren't terribly comfortable, it took a week or so for the pads to soften up but now they are wonderful. These would really require amplification of some sort and the headphones themselves are already out of the price range so this entire paragraph is not really terribly helpful I don't think.

What you might try is ordering a replacement set of pads from Audio Technica for the A700/A900 pads. I think the last time I ordered them they were $12-13 or so and they provide more distance from the driver and are MUCH cushier after they are broken in. I put a pair on my friends' AD700s and he loves them.
 
Didnt see the budget, lol

I still stand by the ad900's, I prefer the sound provided by open cans, unless of course Im somewhere in which I need closed.

For your price, keep an eye on amazon, their headphone prices drop drastically at random times.
 
Yeah I would try the different pads too. If that doesn't work, I would think trying a pair of closed sennheisers like the HD439 might be more comfortable and not cost too much to try out.

For a usb dac/amp, there is always the fiio E10 and I just saw this today but it needs a small amp for best results

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1749665
 
Thanks guys, I'll try the new pads & probably grab a DAC soon for the office! If it all works out I'll take these phones back home and grab a closed pair for the office.
 
Back
Top