Looking for new pc speakers

NukeULater

Gawd
Tonight my Logitech Z-5300's amps died in a big cloud of smoke. So I am on the hunt for some new speakers. I realize that Logitech speakers have really boomy bass. While that that does not bother me, I would like something that would have better if not excellent sound quality and still have that low end bass when I need it.

My budget is about $300, I might be able to go a bit higher if it is really a quality system. I am looking for a 5.1 speaker set, because I really enjoy the directional sound in games.

I have currently heard about Klipsch promedia 5.1, but those are starting to get a bit long in the tooth and often need amp repair. Then I looked at swans M60-5.1 and M20-5.1 , but I haven't found anywhere that sells these or a retail price. Would anyone know where I might be able to purchase one of these sets?

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=438
http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=4

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a 5.1 PC speakers set up? I would like to avoid another logitech setup (Z-5500s ect). Also note, I have a creative labs X-Fi if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help. :)

I recently upgraded from the 5300's to stereo speakers in your budget range and I couldn't be happier. Are you sure you need 5.1 surround sound? You're budget would buy better sound if you needed only 2 speakers rather than six channels. How much of your time is spent listening to music over gaming?

uh, the age of the speaker or their design means nothing, so complaining that the ProMedia is ~3-4 years old is pointless

as far as a good speaker choice, a lot of people around these parts like active monitors for desktop usage, which isn't a bad deal unless you like surround sound (because YOUR (yes that bugged me) budget would go further, quaity wise, on a stereo solution than a 6ch solution)

aside from Klipsch and Logitech, not much else exists, I can't suggest the modern Creative speakers, and there aren't many other ~$200-$300 PC speakers that do 5.1

active monitors or add a bit more ($50-$100) to your budget, and go for an HTIB/similar setup

I hope you don't mind if I hop on this thread. I also have a set of z-5300's and just got an Auzentech forte. My center channel refuses to work in win7 and vista on a brand new computer, so I'm thinking the sub is dying. Can stereo speakers be just as good for games with the surround sound emulation on modern sound cards? I just have a desk and can't actually ever put my rear speakers behind me, so it's always seemed kind of pointless. I don't want to have to get an amp though. I play a lot of games, and listen to a fair amount of music.

Are you sure you need 5.1 surround sound?... How much of your time is spent listening to music over gaming?
I listen to music about 75% and game 25% of the time. I am not sure I need 5.1 channels, it is just that I had that many before. If I can gain extra quality from stereo speakers I would purchase them.

uh, the age of the speaker or their design means nothing, so complaining that the ProMedia is ~3-4 years old is pointless

as far as a good speaker choice, a lot of people around these parts like active monitors for desktop usage, which isn't a bad deal unless you like surround sound (because YOUR (yes that bugged me) budget would go further, quaity wise, on a stereo solution than a 6ch solution)

aside from Klipsch and Logitech, not much else exists, I can't suggest the modern Creative speakers, and there aren't many other ~$200-$300 PC speakers that do 5.1

active monitors or add a bit more ($50-$100) to your budget, and go for an HTIB/similar setup
I realize that the speaker age means nothing when it comes to sound quality. I was looking at it from a wear perspective, stuff like the amps blowing, etc.

Okay, I did look around at the 5.1 sets on the market right now. Nothing interests me and the sound quality seems poor at best.

So it appears that I would need a set of speakers and a receiver. What about adding speakers as time goes on? Would a decent receiver allow 5.1 channels? (Sorry noob question, I haven't messed around with any audio systems since about 95')

Speakers now, fancy receiver later. A used stereo receiver off ebay should be good enough. By the time you'd upgrade to 5.1, receivers will be better, cheaper and have more features than they have now. Spend the money on speakers that you could expand out to surround later if you decide to.

I hope you don't mind if I hop on this thread. I also have a set of z-5300's and just got an Auzentech forte. My center channel refuses to work in win7 and vista on a brand new computer, so I'm thinking the sub is dying. Can stereo speakers be just as good for games with the surround sound emulation on modern sound cards? I just have a desk and can't actually ever put my rear speakers behind me, so it's always seemed kind of pointless. I don't want to have to get an amp though. I play a lot of games, and listen to a fair amount of music.

stereo can be "as good", if the original mix/source is done correctly, most games do alright with stereo speakers, FAR better with stereo headphones (placement and acoustics don't kill you then), music wise, stereo is probably a safer bet (most music you're likely to listen to is stereo), and for movies, it'll work fine

5.1 speakers for games is cool, as long as you don't need a mic (just seems rude imho to make everyone hear themselves + the game on your mix), and the game supports it, but it isn't "required" (headphones vs 5.1 speakers is about comparable in terms of immersion, IME, 7.1 speakers is a lot of fun, but a lot of wires and stuff across your room)

I listen to music about 75% and game 25% of the time. I am not sure I need 5.1 channels, it is just that I had that many before. If I can gain extra quality from stereo speakers I would purchase them.

I realize that the speaker age means nothing when it comes to sound quality. I was looking at it from a wear perspective, stuff like the amps blowing, etc.

Okay, I did look around at the 5.1 sets on the market right now. Nothing interests me and the sound quality seems poor at best.

So it appears that I would need a set of speakers and a receiver. What about adding speakers as time goes on? Would a decent receiver allow 5.1 channels? (Sorry noob question, I haven't messed around with any audio systems since about 95')

it depends on what kind of receiver you buy, most modern A/V receivers are 5.1 or 7.1, so you can add speakers as you like, and so on (I'm not sure if this answers your Q, just ask if it doesn't)

regarding the age thing, gotcha

Speakers now, fancy receiver later. A used stereo receiver off ebay should be good enough. By the time you'd upgrade to 5.1, receivers will be better, cheaper and have more features than they have now. Spend the money on speakers that you could expand out to surround later if you decide to.

amplifier technology is not going to change at the price point we're talking, unless you wait a good decade or longer, other features that will "improve" are generally irrelevant to computer users, and price won't really change (a decent receiver with amplifiers that don't blow up when you connect a 6ohm speaker or that will actually drive more than 15 wpc is still going to cost $500-$600, this has been more or less consistently true since the 1980's)

get the receiver and speakers now, even if its only 2.0, and add channels as you go, don't buy two receivers, you're wasting cash on the first one basically

you mean the speaker can be biwired or biamped?

just get the proper plate so you don't need an extra set of wiring and you'll simplify all sorts of things for yourself (if these are shelf system speakers, nevermind this advice, dont use them, basically)

as far as a receiver that will run with them, you need something that will do 6 ohms stable, h/k's should have no issues, the pioneer, I wouldn't be so keen on

perhaps something a bit cheaper and more simplistic like a Pioneer A-35R would be a decent choice though

As far as a receiver that will run with them, you need something that will do 6 ohms stable, h/k's should have no issues, the pioneer, I wouldn't be so keen on

perhaps something a bit cheaper and more simplistic like a Pioneer A-35R would be a decent choice though
Unfortunately, they are bookshelf speakers from a compact stereo. On a side note, the stock z-5300 satellites are 8 ohm right? Can I use them for the rear channels until I have enough money to purchase better speakers?

That Pioneer A-35R looks to be just an amp, and it is just as expensive as the two receivers I linked to.

If you were to be in the same situation I am in, what would you purchase?

Last edited:
Since it looks like you may go the receiver route, make sure whatever you get has the correct connections in the back for what you need. I just ordered the Onkyo TX-SR506 as a replacement for my system receiver in this thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1014144

The 506 worked for me, but the 507 did not. I'm also going to use banana plugs this time instead of just wrapping the wire around the speaker connections in the back of the receiver. The links you provided for those other two receivers didn't seem to have pics of the back of those receivers. Good luck in your search.:)

Last edited:
Just a note, you can do a mic even on 5.1 speakers, and not bother everyone. What you need is a headset mic with no earphones. You want a headset mic because you need it right next to your face so it can be low gain and thus not pick up much sound from the speakers. I use the Andrea NC-8 and it works great for that purpose. Not the world's highest quality mic, but for voice it doesn't need to be.

Thanks Slycraft, but I've never used a mic in any game. I am a bit of a loner and don't have any friends that I regularly play with.

If you decide not to use the mic, then "yes" I believe you might have to set it up the way shown in that soundblaster home theater link. I don't know what the outputs are on the X-Fi exactly (even though it's slightly clearer from the diagram but it seems some have combined uses as it seems the line out 1 is also a digital out), but you'll need the wires you mentioned. If you don't get the creative ones, then you'll have to shave a little rubber off the sides to get them to fit unless the X-Fi's have more space between the plugs.

Given your budget I'd say that looks pretty competent. I haven't shopped stereo amps in a while, but I think Yamaha is a safe choice. Not familiar with the speakers either, but I've seen others who've shopped them, and they seemed to be happy.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that it will all work. I have always used infinity speakers and those tsc speakers are supposed to sound comparable. All my infinity's are from the yearly 90's. :eek:

Back