Looking for new high end computer audio setup

wa77ss

n00b
My previous setup was a X-FI XtremeMusic running some Logitech Z5300-e's. It was okay, but honestly didn't feel like it had enough bass, and felt rather bland at times.

I don't have a desktop any more, just a laptop. So if a sound card is needed it would have to be external.

I'm thinking about getting some Z5500's, are they much of an improvement over my Z5300's? What is better than the Z5500 setup?

They don't have to be Logitech speakers, just looking for some ideas here. I'm going to start ripping my music to better formats too, which I'm sure will help as well.

Budget anywhere from 200-600$ I think
Thanks!!

You need a pair of bookshelves, a subwoofer, and a receiver. It can be done pretty nicely for $600. For starters, I'd get you to check out the Panasonic XR-55 receiver. I have the Insignias, but the X-LS encore and the X-sub from av123.com are in my future.

Yeah, that budget will get you a really great sounding receiver + bookshelves + subwoofer setup. The X-LS bookshelf speakers are excellent for PC audio.

How would you guys recommend I connect the PC to the receiver? Should I build a cheapo with a nice sound card? Or maybe just buy a CD player?

Since you have a laptop have you considered headphones/dac/amp combo? For $600 you could do quite well.

I run S/PDIF from soundcard to external DAC, although you could also run line out from soundcard to a receiver's analog input, if you're so inclined (and if you want to use the soundcard's internal DAC).

If you need surround, then I'd get 3 pairs of Insignia Bookshelves from Best Buy, a random 6.1/7.1 Receiver, and a Dayton 10" Subwoofer.

If you don't need surround, you can get some X-LS Encores from AV123.com as well as the X-Sub like that other poster suggested. The X-LS's predecessor has been lauded as *the* value buy in the audio world, matching up to $2000 speakers (in one review I think?), and apparently these Encores are even better.

Oh yeah, as yet another poster said, a headphone setup in this range would be pretty f'ing amazing. At this price range, the comfort levels are astounding (not to mention sound quality).

Thanks for the responses guys! How would you suggest I connect my laptop to the reciever? Or should I just buy a CD player to play my music from?

Lastly, if I buy a receiver, whats the next step up so I could get at least one or two HDMI since I have a 360 and a HDTV DTV box?

Would the headphone setup be much better than the speaker setup for the money? Thankyou!!!! :)

pmned you.

headphones are easier but for $600 you can have both headphones and speakers.

THow would you suggest I connect my laptop to the reciever? Or should I just buy a CD player to play my music from?

you can do i the cheap way with a mini jack to rca cable from your laptops line out to the reciever or with an external usb soundcard (emu usb comes to mind http://www.emu.com) for better sound quality.

Back