Looking for new core switch

USF-Nealio

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Messages
373
My network needs a refresh from top to bottom, and I plan to start with the core. I'm looking for a L3 16+ port Gbe Base-T switch. I do not want to have to buy SFPs or other modules to accomplish this. What is [H] using and recommending?

The Extreme Networks x650-24t looks attractive. Though I've heard that it is EOL, and the x670-48t is the cheapest comparable device from Extreme.
 
Our core switch is a Cisco 3750. I don't think we have ever had any problems with it.
 
Which layer 3 features do you need?
(Just take a look at the headlines given on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_stackable_switches)

I myself like the HP 5800AF-48G Switch (JG225A): 48x 1GbE@RJ45, 6x 10GbE@SFP+, 2 redundant power supplies, 2 fan modules, and real HP lifetime warranty (which is not the case any longer with all HP switches). It is not the latest switch from HP, but if you can get it as "HP Renew" you can save a lot of money.
 
Last edited:
What throughputs are you expecting? Any sustained gigabit transfers?
 
The Cisco 3850 series is a great option, especially if you want to do any kind of Cisco wireless. The switch has Layer-3 capabilities & has a built-in wireless controller. Down the road, you can add fiber & 10Gb ethernet modules to the switch if you need it. Also does switch stacking & power stacking.

If that is too expensive, there is the 3650 series as well. Also has wireless controller built in, layer-3 and stacking capabilities.
 
what about the HP 3800 series? Various port and SFP+ and copper 10GbE port options.
 
Back
Top