Looking for new C2D proc

fuxxy

Weaksauce
Hey everyone, I'm building a new HTPC based on the ASUS P5N7A-VM motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131348

This is not necessarily a 'budget' pc because it will be decoding h.264 1080i, but I don't want to break the bank on a processor..

Anyone know of a Core2Duo I can throw in this board that won't be completely underkill for 1080i, but won't break the bank either?

I'm planning on $100 or less if possible.

I had asked about the Linux based HTPC as I am building two, one for myself and one for my parents place. And they are both based off the E2180 which should do just fine for HD content. However it seems Intel is dropping the prices on their line up and the E5200 is now going to be priced the same as the E2180 at 67 bucks, that's a VERY nice OCing chip for the price.

I had asked about the Linux based HTPC as I am building two, one for myself and one for my parents place. And they are both based off the E2180 which should do just fine for HD content. However it seems Intel is dropping the prices on their line up and the E5200 is now going to be priced the same as the E2180 at 67 bucks, that's a VERY nice OCing chip for the price.

Hmm, that's a good point to consider.

I'm concerned with noise, so I PROBABLY won't be overclocking. But that's still a great proc for the price.

I suspect you could oc quite a bit with stock voltage on the E5200 so might not add any more noise/heat. Even so, two cores at the stock 2.5 will probably do fine with the decoding I'd guess.

They are too expensive now, but the new "S" model quads will be 65watt and seem the ideal htpc chip (but I think the cheapest will be about $200).

I say wait for the price drop, use the money saved (on the E5200) to get a better cooler like the s1283 ect. and OC a bit, with the better cooler you should be able to get a pretty nice OC with no added noise. And still well under the $100 budget.

Just saw your sig to, no, your not doing it wrong, go to "Edit Signature" look at the bottom, under "Signature Permissions" it will say: "Allow BB Code No Allow HTML No". All you need is your Heat ID or Ebay ID, they can find you.

The only difference between the E5300 and the E5200 is 100MHz clock speed and the fact that the E5200 is going to be 67 bucks pretty soon, no reason to spend that much extra money on the E5300 when you could very VERY easily OC the E5200 for that extra 100MHz...Or extra 1GHz or more with a good cooler. :D

The only difference between the E5300 and the E5200 is 100MHz clock speed and the fact that the E5200 is going to be 67 bucks pretty soon, no reason to spend that much extra money on the E5300 when you could very VERY easily OC the E5200 for that extra 100MHz...Or extra 1GHz or more with a good cooler. :D

I get your point, but you see the ole thing in regard to most chips...why buy the E8600 when you can buy the E8500 and save this....why buy the E8500 when you can buy the E8400 and save that. I was just giving the the guy some choices

I get your point, but you see the ole thing in regard to most chips...why buy the E8600 when you can buy the E8500 and save this....why buy the E8500 when you can buy the E8400 and save that. I was just giving the the guy some choices

That's my point, and why so many people buy the E8400, because it's so easy to OC. And the whole point here IS to save, as you don't seem to get this person has a budget. :rolleyes:

That's my point, and why so many people buy the E8400, because it's so easy to OC. And the whole point here IS to save, as you don't seem to get this person has a budget. :rolleyes:

Dude, if $119.00 is not based on budget, I don't know what is. Now, I want you to step back from the keyboard for a second and ask yourself a question. What are we fussing about?
I bet your answer is probably; nothing. You made your point, I made mine, both points are on record here so lets just move on to something else. Deal?

Dude, if $119.00 is not based on budget, I don't know what is. Now, I want you to step back from the keyboard for a second and ask yourself a question. What are we fussing about?
I bet your answer is probably; nothing. You made your point, I made mine, both points are on record here so lets just move on to something else. Deal?

Lol, ok take a breath man, I'm not saying anything about you, the only comment I made as about the processor, but you seem to have the idea I am "fussing" about something, I thought the "big grin" would have been enough. And no, $119 is not a budget, as the OP clearly said they have $100 to spend on a CPU "or less if possible". If they have the extra 20 bucks for it, great, but some people can't stretch it over the posted budget. This is also for a HTPC, and does not need something very powerful just for HD video playback. Now if this was for use with video encoding the E7200 might be worth it because of it having the SSE4 instruction set, but that's it. There is just no reason to go over budget when there is something that can do the job at a little more than half the budget.

Lol, ok take a breath man, I'm not saying anything about you, the only comment I made as about the processor, but you seem to have the idea I am "fussing" about something, I thought the "big grin" would have been enough. And no, $119 is not a budget, as the OP clearly said they have $100 to spend on a CPU "or less if possible". If they have the extra 20 bucks for it, great, but some people can't stretch it over the posted budget. This is also for a HTPC, and does not need something very powerful just for HD video playback. Now if this was for use with video encoding the E7200 might be worth it because of it having the SSE4 instruction set, but that's it. There is just no reason to go over budget when there is something that can do the job at a little more than half the budget.

A man you already said all this, why do think I said lets drop it. None of this is helping the Op, let it go. And sorry, I can't see any smiley faces, my Ad-Blocker blocks them.

E5200 and never look back.

Like others said its gonna be 67 bucks soon, 67 bucks for 4.0ghz is just out of this world. One thing that i am wondering is what kind of overclocking potential the e5300 has.

Like others said its gonna be 67 bucks soon, 67 bucks for 4.0ghz is just out of this world. One thing that i am wondering is what kind of overclocking potential the e5300 has.

The OC difference would probably be whatever the difference is in MHz between the two CPUs.

Like others said its gonna be 67 bucks soon, 67 bucks for 4.0ghz is just out of this world.

You are not guaranteed 4GHz with an E5200. Someone corrected you in the other thread and you said that you have never seen one under 3.5GHz but here you are posting 4 again.

I do agree that it is the best choice for him though.

and that price drop hasn't happened yet for anyone wondering where you can get it for $67

I was just curious Casper312, where are you shopping at. I shop at Newegg and I only see a $17.00 difference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116074&Tpk=e5300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

But I must admit, for that small of a difference, I would go with the E5200 as well. I could see if it were 2.8GHZ, but 2.6GHz is not worth the extra bucks.

Hmm, intel plans to drop the price on the e5200 to 67 bucks is what i meant.

You are not guaranteed 4GHz with an E5200. Someone corrected you in the other thread and you said that you have never seen one under 3.5GHz but here you are posting 4 again.

I do agree that it is the best choice for him though.

and that price drop hasn't happened yet for anyone wondering where you can get it for $67

They did not correct me, all they said it was either a hit or miss, which is what overclocking is.

Let me rephrase my statement.

For a chance at an easy 3.8ghz-4.0ghz and all for 83 bucks (67 once price cuts come), its one hell of a overclocker/buy.

Funny thing is my chip is an oddball of the e5200 fam, in the meaning it takes some decent voltage for 4.0ghz. While others need no more than 1.35V.

It does not seem to be over at xs, a few forum members kept rubbing it in :(.

The e5200 is an awesome chip for the price it comes in at, The E5400 is coming soon, and from the looks of it, its gonna have even more overclocking potential than the e5200, Also from the looks of some sneak peaks over at xs, it can handle higher fsb very well.

It does not seem to be over at xs, a few forum members kept rubbing it in :(.

The e5200 is an awesome chip for the price it comes in at, The E5400 is coming soon, and from the looks of it, its gonna have even more overclocking potential than the e5200, Also from the looks of some sneak peaks over at xs, it can handle higher fsb very well.

What kind of multi is the E5400 going to have? I can't really see paying 87 bucks for the E5400 when the E5200 will be able to be had for 67 then. 4GHz on a E5200 and your still not happy? Geez. :p

Its not that im not happy, its just the voltage it requires for 4.0ghz is insane for 24/7 volts. Once my rma q9550 comes and i sell it, i might trade my e5200 for a e5400 if it does not have any low fsb walls. Im only able to get a 90% fsb overclock with my chip :(

Back