I would like to setup a RAID that will allow me to transfer data at an extremely fast rate to all the computers connected to it. I know my connection will be through a GB network card. I would like for that to be the slowest part of the connection between all the computers. I am currently looking at:
1 4x SATA2 card
4x SATA2 hard drives
Theory behind it:
SATA2 theoretically transfers at 300Gb per second. 4 drives would (in my head) transfer at 1200 Gb per second. Maybe I am crossing this with a RAID 0 setup. Also, the ability to rebuild as needed would be appreciated. I plan to keep an extra hard drive on tap at all times (was thinking raid 0+1 or 5+1 if it were ever possible.) Suggestions or corrections to me are appreciated.
Reason:
Want to saturate my Gb connection instead of it only doing 10% max on transfers to one system.
1 4x SATA2 card
4x SATA2 hard drives
Theory behind it:
SATA2 theoretically transfers at 300Gb per second. 4 drives would (in my head) transfer at 1200 Gb per second. Maybe I am crossing this with a RAID 0 setup. Also, the ability to rebuild as needed would be appreciated. I plan to keep an extra hard drive on tap at all times (was thinking raid 0+1 or 5+1 if it were ever possible.) Suggestions or corrections to me are appreciated.
Reason:
Want to saturate my Gb connection instead of it only doing 10% max on transfers to one system.