Looking for Nas network storage recommendation

DGMurdockIII

Limp Gawd
Looking for a recommendation on a low cost nas device that can do plex and connect to eathernet i was looking at few qnap ones not sure what to get

That's kinda a loaded question. They key is do you need the plex server to transcode?

Right now I'm using a computer with Linux on it and plex installed just wanted something that is easier to maintain

I like my WD PR4100. Hardware Plex transcoding and it's been really stable. The PR2100 is the 2-bay version.

They aren't cheap but it'll transcode 4 streams at a time with ease.

I have a Thecus. Never heard of the brand before purchasing it. Cant run plex but otherwise has great specs and software.

I think your better on building your own. Itx plus a cheap apu amd or intel Celeron and run freenas. Run freenas off of flash drive.

I would just build your own and run freenas. Without drives I built the following system the blow the water out of those pre configured systems

On newegg for 265$ before tax and shipping

Mini-ITX Case(fits 4 3.5 inch drives)
Asrock H110 ITX board with 4 SATA 6.0 ports
Celeron G3930
8GB Ram DDR4 Kit
Seasonic 520 watt Fully Modular PSU

You can also add internal card plus an external drive bay to add more storage in the future.

Honestly the Celeron G3930 isn't much better at transcoding than the Celeron's in the Qnap's, it'll still only handle one 1080p transcode at a time. A decent hotswap Mini-ITX case is going to be in the $100+ range depending on features. The whole point of this exercise was the OP was looking for something easier to maintain than his current pc running Linux, something building your own freenas box is not going to be.

Back