Looking for my first laptop.

MethRed3d

n00b
I've only use desktops, but now my profession requires me to travel around a lot so I would have to get a laptop to do work on.

I want something thin, light, and powerful. Mostly for systems and application programming, some music and movies.

I really have my eye on the Sony SZ series.
* Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7300 (2.0GHz)
* 2 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-667, 1 GBx2)
* 80 GB Hard Disk Drive
* SuperMulti DVD±R DL / DVD±RW / DVD-RAM Drive
* 13.3" WXGA
* MOTION EYE Camera
* Microsoft Windows Vista Business
* Wireless LAN (802.11a\b\g\n)
* Trusted Platform Module / Biometric Fingerprint Sensor
* Large Capacity Lithium-ion Battery (BPL9)

Is this a good purchase for my needs?
I am open to other suggestions though.

Check out the Dell XPS 1330. I'm not a huge Sony fan, they make nice stuff, but it's always overpriced imo.

Have a look at Dell, most definitely. Sony is an overpriced boutique laptop vendor, and their warranties aren't too stellar.

I recently picked up a HP Pavilion DV2000 series notebook that has exceeded all of my expectations. The new series have an absolutely amazing piano black finish on them, and you can get a very wide variety of system specifications. On the note of being powerful, I find that even though you can outfit these notebooks to have acceptably powerful processors, large amounts of ram, and fast hard drives, their is a very obvious lack of performance video cards (nearly impossible to get a dedicated video card) and very powerful processors (quad cores, the extreme core 2 duo series).

I would recommend comparing alot of other laptops to the sony notebooks. I think you will find that the margin betwen price, and performance, does not match.

Dell and Sony? that's it?

Seriously, ASUS... I have a Dell Latitude D505, and for all the shit I give it, after 3.5 years, It is doing pretty well. Alas, I deplore integrated graphics, and the Dell offerings now have too short battery life, or are too heavy.

I am looking at a SZ series Sony as well. the 650 though, with the speed/stamina thing, but I would not recommend it. If you buy Sony, make sure you are comfortable Loading an OS from scratch; due to the boat-load of bloatware, removing it mangles the OS on the way out...

Look at ASUS. They don't make bad laptops. Sometimes a tad bit short on battery or looks, but better than Dell. HP's are sturdy, but ASUS is a glorious thing. They make the parts in the Dell's and HP's anyway...

Also, look at the Gateway C-140x. The battery Life is stellar! This is a sturdy laptop, there is a youtube video of someone standing on the top of the screen, and there are no waves in the screen! It is a powerful laptop, especially with the ATI discrete card. It is also a Tablet! Best part is... It costs less than anything else out there. Cheaper than the HP, DELL, and SONY.

My vote goes...

Gateway C-140x
Asus F3 series
HP

Back