• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for my first laptop.

MethRed3d

n00b
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24
I've only use desktops, but now my profession requires me to travel around a lot so I would have to get a laptop to do work on.

I want something thin, light, and powerful. Mostly for systems and application programming, some music and movies.

I really have my eye on the Sony SZ series.
* Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7300 (2.0GHz)
* 2 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-667, 1 GBx2)
* 80 GB Hard Disk Drive
* SuperMulti DVD±R DL / DVD±RW / DVD-RAM Drive
* 13.3" WXGA
* MOTION EYE Camera
* Microsoft Windows Vista Business
* Wireless LAN (802.11a\b\g\n)
* Trusted Platform Module / Biometric Fingerprint Sensor
* Large Capacity Lithium-ion Battery (BPL9)

Is this a good purchase for my needs?
I am open to other suggestions though.
 
Check out the Dell XPS 1330. I'm not a huge Sony fan, they make nice stuff, but it's always overpriced imo.
 
Have a look at Dell, most definitely. Sony is an overpriced boutique laptop vendor, and their warranties aren't too stellar.
 
I recently picked up a HP Pavilion DV2000 series notebook that has exceeded all of my expectations. The new series have an absolutely amazing piano black finish on them, and you can get a very wide variety of system specifications. On the note of being powerful, I find that even though you can outfit these notebooks to have acceptably powerful processors, large amounts of ram, and fast hard drives, their is a very obvious lack of performance video cards (nearly impossible to get a dedicated video card) and very powerful processors (quad cores, the extreme core 2 duo series).

I would recommend comparing alot of other laptops to the sony notebooks. I think you will find that the margin betwen price, and performance, does not match.
 
Dell and Sony? that's it?

Seriously, ASUS... I have a Dell Latitude D505, and for all the shit I give it, after 3.5 years, It is doing pretty well. Alas, I deplore integrated graphics, and the Dell offerings now have too short battery life, or are too heavy.

I am looking at a SZ series Sony as well. the 650 though, with the speed/stamina thing, but I would not recommend it. If you buy Sony, make sure you are comfortable Loading an OS from scratch; due to the boat-load of bloatware, removing it mangles the OS on the way out...

Look at ASUS. They don't make bad laptops. Sometimes a tad bit short on battery or looks, but better than Dell. HP's are sturdy, but ASUS is a glorious thing. They make the parts in the Dell's and HP's anyway...

Also, look at the Gateway C-140x. The battery Life is stellar! This is a sturdy laptop, there is a youtube video of someone standing on the top of the screen, and there are no waves in the screen! It is a powerful laptop, especially with the ATI discrete card. It is also a Tablet! Best part is... It costs less than anything else out there. Cheaper than the HP, DELL, and SONY.

My vote goes...

Gateway C-140x
Asus F3 series
HP
 
Back
Top