Looking for my First DVD Burner, Need Opinons

~ever~

2[H]4U
Like tittle says, I want a DVD burner now and the thing is that I see soo many brands and I see DVD-R and DVD-R+ or something like that and then I see double layer and this and that. Im confused. Whats the most popular burner out there? What is everyone's top choice ???

Thanks

dude- i just bought a Pioneer DVR-109 from newegg, for 56 bucks or something. That with a spool of high quality DVD+R media and i am a happy camper.

This drive is 16X DVD+ -RW and 6X DVD+ -R DL, and 40X CD-R Burning. Excelent drive, burened at least 30 disks, not a single coaster.

Best ive seen.

ive got an NEC 2500 and it hasnt given me any problems

im sure the dual layer one is good too

I have the NEC and I agree it's awsome. But the new Plextor drive has been reviewed and proven to be better in a few categorys. Costs quite a bit more though.

Man, So NEC drives are good ???? :confused:

i was thinking eitehr Plextor or Sony were going to be at the top...

I have the NEC 3520a, and I'm completely satisfied with it. Not a single coaster yet through 20 burns. I can certainly see why it's considered the best.

The Plextor 716A allows you put 1GB on a CD-R, and it connects via SATA. That's the only reason I'm picking one up, but not before it comes down in price.

Man I cant believe you can fit 1 GB onto a CD with the Plextor.......
I think thats the one .......

But what about Sony's ?? Anyone uses them ????

^^Sony.. not worth it. Not very good at speeds >8X, Benq 1620/1640 , LG4163 and the NEC drives are your best choices, with honourable mentions to the Pioneer 109 and Plextor 716.
BTW.. we have an Optical Drives subforum too..
;)

Lite-On makes ALL of Sony's burners. Sony just slaps their name on them now.

I have one NEC ND3500AG and until now i burn alooooooooooooooots
of dvds(about 300or 350 few more few less :) ) most of cases (few cds) an im very happy.
plextor are good too(more expnsive i quess ) and the have good suport in case
of failure.in 2 days the ship me with RMA new burner.i think that is good.
maybe NEC have good suport .i have plenty of time and dvd to see that :p

Im gonna check on those NECs.....

Does Newegg sell them Retail ???

It seems they only have them OEM

I personally haven't seen a retail NEC box at any B&Rs. There's some rebrands though (Mad Dog, et al)

NEC has some nice drivers out right now, but I going to lean to plextor more... plextor has better software support, better media support, and is all around a better drive. NEC has had problems with slow ripping and burn speeds (might be fixed now), but it's really hard to be the price of NEC drives...

TechHead said:
^^Sony.. not worth it. Not very good at speeds >8X, Benq 1620/1640 , LG4163 and the NEC drives are your best choices, with honourable mentions to the Pioneer 109 and Plextor 716.
BTW.. we have an Optical Drives subforum too..
;)

where can you find the 1640, i cant find that anywhere on newegg, and whats with the lightscribe technology thing? is it worht the money? what is it exactly anyway?

Well, I went with the Plextor 716 SATA....... :D
Havent used it but Im happy already!

So almost everyone's prefered drive is the NEC...
So the Nec > Pioneer?
I know people used to really like liteon, but I think I killed mine within a year of heavy use. I guess liteon iis now unpopular and LGs are even prefered over them? I was thinking Pioneer 109 cos its a pioneer... known as good since A02. I see plextor here also not as popular now?
My main concern is compatability and burn quality, as I have a small spindle of "good" non-working disks.

Back