Looking for mouse with excellent tracking & response

RyanH

Limp Gawd
I've been using a Logitech G5 r2 mouse since I bought a new pc last year. Before that I had only used cheap optical mice and I obviously noticed the much higher sensitivity but I hate how it tracks and it seems to skip all the time. I have the latest Setpoint drivers installed and I've turned off mouse accel but no matter what I set the sensitivity to it still feels like its missing pixels. I've heard that optical mice are much better then laser mice in this regard so I'm looking to switch back to an optical mouse or another laser mouse if you can recommend one. I also hate how the scroll wheel sticks out like a sore thumb and is hard to the touch. I'm looking for a mouse to correct all of these things and one that is precise for FPS games that I play. I'm thinking I might buy the Logitech mx518 because I like the g5 ergonomics other then the scroll wheel. I'm also looking at the intellimouse explorer 3.0. Extreme precision and responsiveness are the most important to me with no skipping and as low input lag as possible. I'm using a Rocketfish mousepad but I'm looking for a better one, been thinking about getting a ratpadz xt.

Last edited:
If you call Logitech and your G5 is under warranty (3 year I believe) they will ship you a G500 at no charge. My G5 was tracking weird, and then after awhile stopped right clicking. The G500 has been great, and they changed the wheel out as well from the G5. The surface of the mouse took a little bit of getting used to, as it is kind of slick as opposed to the G5 having a grippy surface. All in all though if your mouse is in warranty it wouldn't hurt to try a replacement.

G5 all the way, best mouse I've ever owned.

Only complaint is the weird cord they used, it gets hard kinks in it.

I saw a G500 at best buy the other day, I hated it. Weird thumb buttons, it's not getting the greatest reviews.

I say get a used MX518. I agree with the laser skipping problems, but they're eliminated when you use a white, non-glossy tracking surface. (my white desk is perfect)

I called Logitech and I told them that I didn't think my mouse was tracking right and they promptly set up an rma and will be sending me a new G500 as a replacement. Thanks for letting me in on their ridiculously amazing customer service. I also decided to buy an mx518, its kinda hard not to go with logitech now after witnessing perfect customer service :). Thanks for linking the data as well, its good to stay informed. I just have one last question, The Mx518 felt the same proportionwise to the G5 and the G500 looks a bit different ergonomically but very similar. The Mx518 felt lighter then the G5 without weights though and also felt smaller in scale is that true?

I say get a used MX518. I agree with the laser skipping problems, but they're eliminated when you use a white, non-glossy tracking surface. (my white desk is perfect)

I have an Ikea galant in white, and MX518 works great without mouse pad.

Ok I received both my G500 from Logitech as well as the MX518 I bought separately a few days ago. While they both have their strong and weak points IMO I can now say with confidence that the g500/mx518/G5 ergonomic design feels too big to use as a gaming mouse so I'm looking for a lighter and smaller mouse that still tracks very well and I also need the two side buttons which is the only reason why I haven't gone for the WMO 1.1.

The mouse which I had used for many years and which I've felt the most comfortable with before I got my g5 r2 last year was the logitech wheel mouse optical Link, I'm looking for a mouse with about the same weight and similar shape to that mouse as a reference but the Microsoft IMO and WMO mice feel good too. I tried out the deathadder at bestbuy and it still felt too heavy and I felt like I couldn't grip it right especially on the side where you pretty much have to be holding down the side buttons to grip it.

The mice I'm looking closely at now are the Microsoft IMO 1.1a, IME 3.0, Steelseries Xai and Kinzu. The thing that worries me the most is that the IMO and IME top out at 400dpi right? I'm a high sens gamer and I game at 4MP as well so I like to have my dpi in the 1200-2000 range. Would these mice still work right for a high sens gamer at a high res like me? I like to have my pointer speed at the default 6th notch in windows so maybe I could increase that to compensate, but I've heard that it creates a type of acceleration. I've also heard that the imo and ime have a noticeable negative acceleration so maybe that would balance out the effects of increasing pointer speed in windows? Price aside, the Steelseries Xai seems it may be the mouse I'm looking for with the similar shape to the WMO and high DPI with 5 buttons. I think the next purchase for me will be the very cheap imo 1.1a and I'll see whether the low dpi is too much of a hindrance or not. If I like everything else about it then the Xai or Kinzu seem like the logical choice. The Xai has the same laser sensor as my G500 which I find no skipping problems with, but in the smaller form factor. Does anyone here have a Xai or Kinzu? How do you like it?

I've also decided that I strongly prefer to use hard plastic polymer based mousepads which goes in hand with my high sens preference. I ordered a puretrak complexity cloth pad and while it does track very well it just doesn't give me the speed I'm looking for. So the mouse I'm looking for will need to track well on hard mousepads.

Last edited:
Kinzu thread

I haven't seen anyone here with a Xai yet, but I'm interested in trying one also. I like how SS mice track, and the extra two side buttons could be a nice feature as long as they're located where it's not easy to accidentally activate them. Kinda hoping someone will get one and post their impressions, as I haven't found many reviews for it yet.

Have you seen the Roccat Kone? Or you might want to look into something like a Razer Copperhead or Lachesis...they are 2,000 and 4,000 DPI respectively, and are low-profile mice. Much different than the DeathAdder in terms of shape & feel.

1.1a/3.0 mice could use a DPI boost IMO. 800 dpi is what I'm used to and prefer. Going back to 400 dpi never feels right.

EDIT: Is there any way to modify the mouse to be higher dpi? maybe a mouse internal transplant?

Microsoft Sidewinder (wired) original (not the X5, or X3 or whatever).

Best mouse I have ever used. Ever.

I have 2 MX 518s and love em. I've never seen them as overly bulky myself but to each his own. Before getting too crazy buying more mice i would try to use the ones I had for a month or so and see if they grow on you. I use a RatPadz XT on one PC and just mouse on my leather couch arm for the HTPC. I have been playing Fallout 3 on the HTPC and have had no problems with my MX518 tracking well on the leather surface.

Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1 is seriously the best gaming mouse on the planet. Next to that would be the MX518, Razer Deathadder and probably the SteelSeries Kinzu/Xai. Don't be fooled by these other companies who amp up the DPI to a ridiculous amount, or add buttons that will never be pressed. Stick to the basics if you want a true gaming mouse.

If you are used to high DPI, what is the difference from using a low DPI mouse and upping your sensitivity in-game?

1.1a/3.0 mice could use a DPI boost IMO. 800 dpi is what I'm used to and prefer. Going back to 400 dpi never feels right.

EDIT: Is there any way to modify the mouse to be higher dpi? maybe a mouse internal transplant?

400DPI is exactly half 800DPI, sorry to inform the blatant obvious. As long as you divide your current sensitivity in half, then you will have the exact same settings. That is if you use a default windows sensitivity.

Although some mice who offer different DPI settings seem to screw up the 400DPI setting, no clue why though.

Mx518 is the best gaming mouse ever.
I recently lost my second Mx518 due to wire connection problem (quite commmon on Mx518 as I found in internet) . Bought Microsoft SideWinder X5 to try out something new and didn't like it. It is just too big and bulky. so, I returned X5 and picked up Mx518 - 3rd one I have and absolutelly love it :)

@RyanH

Now that the Razer Imperator is out you might want to have a good look at that. The shape looks similar to the Logitechs' but ever so slightly smaller. Apparently they did a lot of testing into developing it too, so it works well for both finger and palm grip players.

I bought the Megasoma pad and it works flawlessly. I'd have to say the texture and feel is unlike any other pad I've used. Mouse glides effortlessly but stops as soon as you stop moving it, perfect for controlling precise shots but also making larger swipes. I can't say I regret the price i paid for it and I feel it will last a long long time.

I bought the Megasoma pad and it works flawlessly.
Do you find it noisy at all? I've seen a couple of comments that this pad has slight problem with scraping sounds as you move the mouse, but I guess it will depend a lot on the mouse.

Do you find it noisy at all? I've seen a couple of comments that this pad has slight problem with scraping sounds as you move the mouse, but I guess it will depend a lot on the mouse.

More often then not, that is the cord making the noise and not the mouse feet.

Back