Looking for MiniPCI card

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
Any good leads on a mini pci card that is Ubuntu plug and play? Currently I have a Atheros based card and it works great.

I would like a card that is more powerful.
I can not get signal upstairs. I have no problem with my PCMCIA card, but would like an integrated solution.

I also need wireless G and a card that can do WPA security.

Any recommendations?

The problem with mini-pci cards is that they do not have a built-in antenna. I doubt you will see any difference with another card.

It's the laptops themselves that have the built in antenna. So what your looking for is a card with more power out to that antenna. And preferably better receive sensitivity. Hard to say if there is a better card than the one you have since, well you didn't say really. Quite a few cards with the atheros chipset. Some may have more power out the radio than the one you have. But I do agree, there's no guarantee you'll have any better reception changing cards.

The easier and probably more effective method to extending your coverage is to make it better at the AP, not the client.

The Senao NMP-8602 is about the best mini-PCI card you'll get under $100.

ktwebb said:
The easier and probably more effective method to extending your coverage is to make it better at the AP, not the client.

Yea, you are probably right. The reason I was trying to upgrade the client was because with my dell 700m and the intel2200b/g card, I have no connectivity issues. Great connection.

I believe I have the atheros 5004 chipset. And the wireless cards are in two different computers.

The thinkpad does have an antenna built in.

I'll look into the Senao card. Off chance, is it Linux friendly?

Laptops can't support the power requirements of the mini PCI cards in that class. They are designed for wireless devices, routerboard 500, etc.

For linux, I've had good luck with Intel 2200 and 2915, both are available at newegg.

I am using a Gigabyte MiniPCI card based on the Atheros 5006x chipset that works pretty well.. but I don't think that the drivers are built in. You will need to go to MadWifi.org and download the latest and compile them into your kernel.

Back