• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for micro SD card & thumbnail reader for USB 3.0

thegreywizard

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 5, 2015
Messages
132
I want to get a 128g micro SD card and a tiny, thumb nail size USB 3.0 card reader like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Voberry®-5Gb...&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+3.0+micro+SD+card+reader

But I want to make sure I get a micro SD card that is capable of utilizing the speeds of USB 3.0

Any suggestions?

I'm also not sure what to look for/what kind of micro SD card that will take advantage of USB 3.0 speeds?

I would also like a card & reader that is backwards compatible with 2.0

This is not for use in a phone, but general data transfer/storage for a desktop computer.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I should note I'm trying to get the fastest setup I can for a reasonably affordable price, (say around $50-$75) so if the USB 3.0 compatible 128gb are stupid expensive (i.e. well over $100) I will just go with 64gb for now.
 
So it seems the

Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb for $45 will do 95/90 read/write

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUB3530/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A35BKAA6VXTYCT


Sandisk Extreme Plus 64gb for $43 will also do 95/90 read/write

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010NE3N3S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER


So there isn't really a difference between the Pro & Plus classes and they seem to be the fastest available for the affordable price of around $50?

I assume these would be the best choice for USB 3.0 speed compatibility?

I also found 128gb but it's pricey:

Sandisk Extreme Plus 128gb, but it's $108 and a little out of my budget for now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYN56OY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But then I find this Extreme Pro that is rated up to 275mb/s

https://www.amazon.com/SANDISK-EXTR...&sr=1-9&keywords=sandisk+extreme+pro+micro+sd

And is clearly double the price of the 95/90 Extreme Pros - so I guess which one would take full advantage of USB 3.0?
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It seems Lexar has much better pricing in general.

64gb 1000x - 150mb/s for $35

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U77V5IW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or

64gb 1800x - 270mb/s for $75

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012PKPOJO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A35M44192ANPZX

So keeping my main concern of maximizing USB 3.0 speeds, the question now is if my budget is less than $100 - is the 1800 series worth the speed or should I get double the memory in the 1000x series?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What are you asking? You explained the benefits/price well. Spend more and get the 1800 for faster speed or spend less and get a slightly slower card. Are you copying more than 64Gb at a time? If not then pony up and get the faster one. Get the fastest card you can with your allotted budget.
 
If this is just for computer you might want something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-128G...1478380251&sr=8-2&keywords=patriot+supersonic

Otherwise what you need is to make sure you get a card reader that is UHS-II or UHS-III to support the full speed of the card you get. Some of the ones that are sold with cards are junk. Also when you buy a SD card make sure to look for benchmarks to support their speed claims. SanDisk is very reputable in their stats, while some other companies are not. USB 3.0 is fast enough to handle the fastest sd cards available, at the moment.

If you are looking for faster, look into getting a m.2 ssd and a usb 3 adapter/enclosure.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top