looking for long ata133 cables

Catbert13

n00b
I'm working on an mp3 player for my truck, and wondering where i could get 5 foot cables, ribbon or round. And if there's a downside to having them that long(lag, decrease in signal strength, or something).

or...if i could get a spool of ide ribbon cable to make my own.

thx

there is such thing as a spool of IDE. I needed it to extend a 5 pin IDE for the switch mod I just did which still needs a few touchups. You have to be very careful when removing the pins though they break really easy. I got my spool from a HAMfest here in atlanta. hope this helped

You know, someone should invent an IDE coupler... Just take IDE cables, snap them together, and boom.

The Problem with ATA133 is that is a parallel interface, that limits the maximum cable lenght significantly

You should go with SATA

Originally posted by Coda
The Problem with ATA133 is that is a parallel interface, that limits the maximum cable lenght significantly

You should go with SATA

Same as above. 5' cables are impossible with ATA133.

Try using an ATA -> USB adapter. My old history teacher used that in his carputer. They are a bit costly though.

ATA cables have many reasons why they can't be long. Crosstalk, signal reflection and degredation to name a few. It took me quite a while, but I eventually discovered that my HDDs were failing/giving me errors when overclocking because the cable length was too long.

IDE spec for cables is no longer than 18 inches. Anything longer is out of spec.

Out of spec cabling may work for slower devices, like CD-RW, but for hard disks, best bet is to just stick to the specs.

yeah my 5 pin IDE cabling job is about 2 feet long with no problems although it is just o the LED activity display.

Originally posted by mustang_steve
IDE spec for cables is no longer than 18 inches. Anything longer is out of spec.

Out of spec cabling may work for slower devices, like CD-RW, but for hard disks, best bet is to just stick to the specs.

Crap, I've got a 36" rounded I'm using... gotta replace that.

You really only need to replace it if it is causing you problems. My local computer store sells ribbon cable by the foot, so I bought 3 feet to do a custom job for my burner and dvd drive. You can space the connectors just right, and I beleive the limit on the 66 mhz is 32".

There was a really good thread about this a couple of weeks ago. Damn the non-working search feature. :mad:

Don't mess with a huge ribbon cable. Not only would it probably have unreliable performance, but it would also be bulky and ugly. Instead, buy an external hard drive or CD-ROM enclosure. IEEE-1394 is your best bet for that. You can easily find IEEE-1394 "FireWire" cables of that length.

Originally posted by xonik
Don't mess with a huge ribbon cable. Not only would it probably have unreliable performance, but it would also be bulky and ugly. Instead, buy an external hard drive or CD-ROM enclosure. IEEE-1394 is your best bet for that. You can easily find IEEE-1394 "FireWire" cables of that length.
Thats what I was thinking

Back