Looking For LCD Recommendations For My Needs

Ken7

n00b
Hi Everyone,

First I guess I should say that I am not a Gamer.

I do web surfing, e-mail, general office spreadsheet and word processing work.
I do some light web design and work with some photos also.

I'm thinking that a 19 inch LCD would be good for me.

I was looking at the Dell 1905 or the new Sony SDM-HS95P/B

Any ideas as to which direction would be best for me?

Price is not as important as the Quality of the display!

Thanks

I have the Sony HS95P/S and I absolutely love it. I'd suggest visiting CompUSA, Circuit City and Best Buy as well as Fry's if there is one in your area. Fry's had Far Cry on their's, Best Buy had the stupid aquarium thing running in a loop and Circuit City had XP running on it. I can't recall what CompUSA had. I went to all four as each store displayed them differently and I wanted to buy at a brick and mortar store. I ended up purchasing mine at CompUSA as they have the longest return policy of 21 days and did away with re-stocking fees. So if for some reason you want to return it you can and not be hit with a re-stocking fee. I also talked the sales guy down from $699 to $620 before rebate of $100.

I happen to like how it looks and not being the standard black stand. The controls are intuitive and it's highly customizable. Text looks good and the blacks look great IMO. At 12ms it's fast enough to play Half-Life 2 with no blurring. I haven't played any other games on it yet. It has Game, PC, Movie and Auto (senses light in the room and auto adjusts). The backlight is too bright so it needs to be turned down. If you get this monitor, just make sure you do not have a window behind you as more than likely it would too reflective. My home office window is in the front and it's just fine. It comes with both the DVI cable and D-Sub, a CD and manual. I'm using DVI with a Radeon 9800 Pro.

Hope this helps.

ramuman said:
Why is the Sony HS95P/S so expensive?

becuase its sony...your just payinfg for the name.

Get an nec1970gx-bx. Its basically the same glossy look and performance like the sony but with an even better 8ms response. At ~$500 its a steal = Better bang for your buck!

Oh yeah dude...don't get a dell. hehe

megawzrd said:
becuase its sony...your just payinfg for the name.

Get an nec1970gx-bx. Its basically the same glossy look and performance like the sony but with an even better 8ms response. At ~$500 its a steal = Better bang for your buck!

Oh yeah dude...don't get a dell. hehe

I am not a Sony brand fan. I don't base large buying decisions on brand alone ever. As an example, I own 3 TVs...my 16:9 widescreen is a Mitsubishi, another a Panasonic and a Sony. I do the research, read reviews and base my choice on what I believe is the best choice. That's why I build my own PC's too. :) Mine came to $520 after rebate. $20 more than the one you recommend. Which is a wash. Personally, I think there is a lot more to compare than just the response time don't you? I don't think anyone can detect a 4ms difference. It also is very much a personal preference. Also, the poster said he was not a gamer so the response time isn't as important. He also said he had two monitors in mind, one of which is the Sony and wanted opinions on it, not thread trashing.

Thanks for all the feedback...

After reading reviews on aandtech.com, CNET amd PC World they all are very high on the 1905 Dell. And at that low price point how could I go wrong?

Since I am not a Gamer I think this display is worth a shot considering the very low price with the coupons included as it seems like a great deal.

I just placed my order for the Dell 1905 display....

Thanks for the input and thanks for letting me know about the discounts using the coupons!

Once I have it here I will give it a good workout. And if it doesn't fit my needs then there is always ebay.

Thanks again...great forum here

Well another one goes to dell...the evil empire
j/k it is a pretty decent lcd

anyways...

morgan said:
I am not a Sony brand fan. I don't base large buying decisions on brand alone ever. As an example, I own 3 TVs...my 16:9 widescreen is a Mitsubishi, another a Panasonic and a Sony. I do the research, read reviews and base my choice on what I believe is the best choice. That's why I build my own PC's too. :) Mine came to $520 after rebate. $20 more than the one you recommend. Which is a wash. Personally, I think there is a lot more to compare than just the response time don't you? I don't think anyone can detect a 4ms difference. It also is very much a personal preference. Also, the poster said he was not a gamer so the response time isn't as important. He also said he had two monitors in mind, one of which is the Sony and wanted opinions on it, not thread trashing.

grats on the mitsubishi TV...guess what nec lcd panels are actually nec/"mitsubishi"

http://www.necdisplay.com/about/who.htm

Do you really wanna compare the nec 1970gx-bk I mentioned versus the sony? Now I never said the sony was a bad panel, I just said your paying more just for the name. Sorry you take offense, must just be pride in your purchase....thats great. But the NEC is a better monitor for your money, btw the nec has a $50 rebate at most retailers which can take it down to $450AR if you catch it at the right time. I say $500 becuase most people are interested in the price they are gonna pay taxes on...

well here it goes:
brightness: both at 400cd/m^2
contrast: nec-700:1; sony 550:1
response: nec-8ms; sony 12ms
price: nec < sony
...hmm seems like I would be getting more for my money by going with which one...um...

I have seen em both and I like NEC's opticlear vs. Sony's X/Ergobright

anyways this is all just an opinion and the dell thing was a joke:
"dude...don't get a dell"

just offering up another option for someone looking for an LCD thats all, but its all good becuase Ken has already made his decision.

Back