Looking for: Laptop with 16GB RAM, or expandable to that

jid

n00b
Hi again everyone,

I'm looking for a laptop that can do 16GB of ram, this is my #1 requirement, I don't play games at all but I have some rather large spreadsheets that forced me to upgrade my desktop already to 16GB and now I need to take my work on the road.

At the PC shops and even online this info is sometimes hard to find, like it's a non issue, but it's a big one for me. I'm assuming when the manufacturer says 8GB max then that's that?

Can you guys recommend me some machines please? I'm a bit partial to Asus but I'll take anything at this point that isn't like $2000, I just need the RAM not a gaming supermachine.

Big thanks if anyone comes up with something!

My Dell XPS 15 (L502x) can take 2x8GB DIMMs.

realy? I've tried all the customizations on the Dell website and it won't give me a 16GB option.. and I can't find a way to check maximum memory specs on their super unfriendly website

Asus' G53 will go to 16GB if you have the quad core model apparently. Not sure if that's a limitation in what they will offer or what's technically possible. Newegg sells 8GB dimms at a reasonable cost.

Edit: The G55VW will also support 16GB (4dimms).

realy? I've tried all the customizations on the Dell website and it won't give me a 16GB option.. and I can't find a way to check maximum memory specs on their super unfriendly website

Dell may not sell a model with that amount of memory, but it does support 16gb. Just get the minimum memory you can from Dell and purchase the 2x 8gb sodimms from somewhere else.

most buisness level laptops in the 15" or 17" range will fit the bill.

I would second the 15" MBP option.

Don't upgrade the RAM through Apple, buy it on Newegg.

Gives you the battery life advantage that is the optimizations in OSX.

I get an easily 7-8 hours doing massive excel spreadsheets out of my MBP.

I stopped believing manufacturers a long time ago. They tell you they're good at things that they suck at (example: update policies and such). And they tell you stuff isn't possible when in fact there is potential (example: hardware upgrades).

My 15" MBP has 16 GB, too. Couldn't be happier with it. Even though Apple says that's not possible.

Sager can go up to 32gb.

Gaming laptop , but very very classy

I was under the impression that any laptop with a Nehalem based Intel processor or newer (excluding Atom), and with two or more expandable SO-DIMM slots, could easily be upgraded to 16GB RAM or more, regardless of manufacturer support (you might void your warranty, however).

Asus is shipping the G55 or G75 depending on what you screen size you like with 16GB configs up and running.

yeah I've seen those G models but cheaper is better, that's why I didn't jump on those macbooks or Lenovo mentioned earlier.. I found a forum called notebookreview and I see people with cheaper laptops popping in 16GB and they're working fine, now I'm just debating whether I should go with a quad core because that would speed up calculations, just not sure if it'll be a big enough difference at this point

How long do your calculations take? I believe Excel is multi-threaded, so some long calculations could benefit from 4 cores, but I'd mostly recommend an i3 for most Excel users. Then again, if you need 16GB RAM, you should know better than I what you need to do your work in Excel.

My Lenovo x220 has 16GB RAM, an i7 and an IPS screen... won't play many games though.

I thought the x220 would play most games, just on the lowest settings?

How much is an eGPU anyway?

I thought the x220 would play most games, just on the lowest settings?

How much is an eGPU anyway?

I guess I should actually try it before saying that it won't... lmao. My desktop and 360 do the gaming.

Hi again everyone,

I'm looking for a laptop that can do 16GB of ram, this is my #1 requirement, I don't play games at all but I have some rather large spreadsheets that forced me to upgrade my desktop already to 16GB and now I need to take my work on the road.

At the PC shops and even online this info is sometimes hard to find, like it's a non issue, but it's a big one for me. I'm assuming when the manufacturer says 8GB max then that's that?

Can you guys recommend me some machines please? I'm a bit partial to Asus but I'll take anything at this point that isn't like $2000, I just need the RAM not a gaming supermachine.

Big thanks if anyone comes up with something!

I have a Thinkpad w520 that I stuffed 16gb of ram in. I also put in a M4 SSD. It screams, and with the default 500gb hard disk (and 8gb of ram) was only around $1400 from Lenovo's site.

I love the machine! I use it mainly for development (and hence have the FHD screen) and I definitely have more hardware than needed, but hey, why the fuck not right? Anyway, I can't recommend this machine highly enough. Its awesome. The only unfortunate thing is that it can't be had in 1920x1200. I hate that nobody is offering laptops at that res on the Windows side.

Intel is pushing for higher res screens. According to a leaked map, there should be some laptops on the market by end of this year with higher than 1080p resolution.

Intel is pushing for higher res screens. According to a leaked map, there should be some laptops on the market by end of this year with higher than 1080p resolution.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I'd love to see it!

Back