Looking For Keyboard Suggestions

jp82729

n00b
I've been looking at keyboards the past few days, and am trying to narrow down my options. Here are the features I'm looking for:

Used for gaming and typing (SC2 and fps)
Cherry MX Brown
Multimedia Keys (at least volume +/-)
US ANSI Layout + 10 keys
Illumination (preferred, not required)
Price around $150

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

If you are willing to wait till next week, I'd be willing to write up my impressions of the Filco Majestouch 2 tenkeyless with mx browns. I know its tenkeyless but the normal model should feel the same.

looks like I will be posting my opinions on the filco sooner than I thought, Amazon shipping is legendary.

Those features are a bit rough to find on a quality mechanical keyboard - illumination and multimedia keys. The only one that stands out off the top of my head is Razer's Blackwidow Ultimate.

If you're willing to sacrifice those optional features for quality, look into a Filco or Leopold with cherry browns. I hear Ducky boards are solid, too. New ones can be found on Amazon or EliteKeyboards.com, otherwise you can hit the for sale section here or geekhack.org for a used one.

are these ducky keyboards...??

i can't tell.. the only difference i see is the size of the keyboard

Deck keyboards are made in the USA (Wisconsin). Hence the price.

Quality is very high but people don't buy becuase of the price.

Your best bet is Deck, cherry mx keys with the option of illumination. Your other option is to go with a Razer Black Widow Ultimate board. You can occasionally find them on sale at Amazon.

He said Cherry brown switches so obviously he wants a quiet keyboard.

Black Widow is as loud as it gets for switches (cherry mx blues).

All the "tactile" Deck keyboards use cherry clear switches which are quiet.

Another option for non-illuminated is a Filco Majestouch 2 with cherry brown. If you want volume you can set up auto hot keys on the keyboard. WIndows key + up/down arrows for volume control!

And it will show on the display like this:

vlme.jpg

I am in the same situation as you. Have been using logitech illuminated for several years and need a replacement and newer ones don't allow W+SHIFT+SPACE combo anymore.....and I like the illumination and use the volume control sometimes.

Trying to decide what to do myself....leaning towards the Filco. Ducky is releasing a new illuminated keyboard soon (already available in Japan) called the Ducky Shine. Hopefully it will be available soon through overclock.net or Amazon.

220016d1310854921-ducky-shine-info-shine.jpg

How about a KBC Poker(Vortex)?
1.jpg

You can find them on ebay for around $120 shipped.

How about getting a G19 Logitech. Alot of people like it. The price is about $150, it has backlighting and 12 programmable keys, if that is what you meant buy "+ 10 keys".

Plus it is really comfortable:)

^LOL

I find even Cherry Brown keys incredibly noisy due to key clatter.

The Topres are the ones to aim for if you want an actually usably quiet keyboard on a par with a well-built standard rubber dome . The rubber domes of the Topre cushions the landing and there's much less in-travel key noise than the Cherry switches due to the way the way the key is configured. Of course, the Topres are not $150...

I have been researching keyboards lately and comparing with the ghosting detection tool ( http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/content/projects/KeyboardGhostingDemo.aspx ).

Turns out my Eclipse has bad ghosting of common game keys...WASD no less (and it's a gaming keyboard). The Logitech G15 I have is almost as bad with ghosting but the macro keys are the worst part of teh G15...I plain mis the keys I want to hit because of poor key spacing. I am going to try the Microsoft X6 next since microsoft designed it specifically to register each key as a unique key with minimal ghosting (probably ordering it tonight).

Basically, I'm looking for a keyboard as well, one with backlights, minimal ghosting and good typing speed. The user/customer reviews on the Cyborg Gaming Keyboard with Tri-Color are pretty good, seems people like it better than most other keyboards, so I may try that one. Hopefully someone here with one will post their ghosting results on it before I buy it.

Deck keyboards are made in the USA (Wisconsin). Hence the price.

Quality is very high but people don't buy becuase of the price.

Also the font. God knows how many more sales they'll get if they changed to bog standard Helvetica instead of that funky font.

if you decide to get the Filco, you can use AutoHotKey to create keyboard shortcuts since the keyboard doesn't come with media keys.

Xarmor has had some really negative press in the past year. I'm pretty sure the Xarmor rep has personally insulted a few members of geekhack and I know that their website has been acting screwy for a while. I would get the deck legend. Cherry clears are similar to browns and its backlit. Otherwise id pick up a kbc poker or choc mini, and but I like small boards.

Back