Looking For Info on Quality Home Studio Sound Cards

CVNet1

[H]ard|Gawd
I checked back a few pages in this forum, and didn't really see anything addressing sound cards that are designed with home studio recording in mind (no gaming required for this case). I have come across a few reviews at digit-life and to their credit, they appear to be doing a great job in testing the quality of DAC and ADC as well as functionality, software packaging, and sound quality. However, I was wondering if anyone here had any first hand experience or might be able to point me to a forum or website that more specializes in home studio sound cards and might happen to post reviews too.

With what I'm looking for, the pricerange would need to be < $400.
I have examined the following options:
Audigy2 Platinum EX,
ESI Juli@,
Audiotrak MAYA44 MKII
Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1

Any solution would have to provide at least 24bit 96khz sampling throughout the entire card (both ADC and DAC and during processing and etc), of course a true 24bit 192khz sampling throughout would probably be better as long as the sound is very accurately recorded/reproduced (reproduction might not be quite as important since the digital form will be used for mastering) meaning that I don't want to sacrifice recording accuracy for a higher sampling rate.
I've examined the EMU-1820 series somewhat, and wasn't very excited when I found it didn't truely support 96khz and 192khz sampling under MME, but if someone here who knows a good deal about this or who owns/uses the card would like to tell me why 96Khz and 192Khz ASIO will work just as well or be even better than the other, please do tell let me know.

Presently I'm kinda leaning toward the ESI Juli@. Any advice or comments, ideas, or suggestions (that aren't in the form of flames) would be appreciated.

Forget the Audigy 2.

I have an M-Audio Delta 1010lt that I've been enjoying for a while now. Also have an Echo Mia that gives me the nice ballanced inputs I need.

What kind of studio/recording work are you going to be doing?

Back