Looking for inexpensive server racks for work and home?

benutne

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to buy some inexpensive frame server racks for work and home. I'd like to spend less than $200 (yeah right :() for home and get a maybe 15U rack to put some off lease rackmountable gear I got for a great price. Frame only, nothing fancy. Steel or aluminum, I don't care.

Also, I'd like to see if anyone has any suggestions on a 42U (or close to it) frame rack for work. I don't need anything but the four post frame, and 26-30" deep should do it. The rack I have no is a two post and does great for my switches and patch panels, but I'm running out of space, so I'd like to start replacing my tower servers with rack servers. Same as home, I don't care for anything but the frame since it sits in a locked room, nothing fancy like doors, sides, power strips, etc. Used works too.

Best place to look if you live near a somewhat big city is Craigs list for something like this.

Done that. Since I'm in Springfield, MO, the shipping, or even going up and getting the damned thing, would cost more than a new one shipped via truck.

Done that. Since I'm in Springfield, MO, the shipping, or even going up and getting the damned thing, would cost more than a new one shipped via truck.

No matter what it's going to need to be shipped right? Shipping isn't going to be all that fantastic no matter where it comes from. When you are buying something that weights a lot... that's what happens :) Could always build your own :)

Inexpensive rack? No such thing :eek:

But, if you do find something whether local to NY/NJ (that's where I'm from) or online (shipped) then definitely let me (and the rest of the [H]orde) know :p

Thought about building, but I'm pretty sure I'd burn down the neighborhood if I tried my hand at welding. Most places I've looked online have reasonable shipping. A 45U aluminum rack from www.rackmountnet.com only costs $45 to ship. I'm just wondering if I can get the actual cost of the item down any by shopping around. I figured someone here would know a place that had fair shipping costs and good prices.

damn every week same threads.

SEARCH

KTHXBYE. I already stated that craigslist was useless to me since I don't live in an area where people regularly sell items like I'm looking for. Since you mentioned SEARCH like I was tarded and failed to do that in the first place, I'll tell you what everyone else has said in those threads. Ready? Its a secret!

Craigslist.

Inexpensive rack? No such thing :eek:

But, if you do find something whether local to NY/NJ (that's where I'm from) or online (shipped) then definitely let me (and the rest of the [H]orde) know :p

I know, I know. I've been searching for weeks, and if I lived in KC instead of Springfield, I'd be set. Its just that for a new rack which seems to be my only option, people want an arm and a leg. I hate to be a douche, but have you checked craigslist for you area? I found tons of racks in larger cities around me. I can only assume you'd have great luck in your neck of the woods.

Hey, just found the manufacturer's page for Hammond racks. They list model numbers along with specs (incl weight) and came up with this. Then I ran the part number through Google and a link from Mouser came up. A 13U rack sells for just about $200 and shipping (if I'm correct) is around $10-20. Only thing is, they need to order then direct from the factory.

Maybe this will work!

Back