• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

looking for inexpensive DAC

BigFNDeal

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 4, 2004
Messages
436
I am searching for an AFFORDABLE DAC! I recently bought Sony MDR-X400s, Kilpsch 2.0 speakers and MisterX is in the process of making me a headphone amp. I would like to use the optical out on my mobo for sound, but cannot find anything under $250. I was thinking more in the $100 range. I am have tempted to get an small receiver and use that to convert from optical to 1/8 in, but everything I find is far too big for the area of my desk I want to put it. I know this isn't the ultimate audiophile setup, but I'm getting what I can afford for now.
 
There aren't a whole lot of choices in the $100 range. There's the Firestone DACs:
http://www.firestone-audio.com/cgi-bin/productsearch.asp?catseqnm=3

If you're willing to do some shopping around, Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 DACs pop up on eBay once in a while, and they are very nice for the price (seen them go for around $130-$140). Entech was a division of Monster Cable I believe, and they had some of the guy(s) from Audio Alchemy.

Silverstone also came out with a USB dac not too long ago, there are a couple reviews floating around for them:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

If you're handy with electronics and a soldering iron, there are some DIY usb dac designs out there as well.
 
Not looking for USB DACS, more opticall. My mobo has an optical out. I'll look on ebay for the ones u mentioned if either have an optical connection.
 
Back
Top