looking for immersive RPG

mellojoe

Gawd
I need a new game. I'm thinking its about time for an immersive RPG. Something budget friendly (which probably rules out Witcher 3). Maybe something that allows for creativity?

Up to your budget but it's got to be Witcher 3 the second you see it at a price you're willing to pay. You will get more than your money's worth and well north of a hundred hours out of it.

Divinity: Original Sin is immersive and allows creativity. But again, we don't know what your budget is. There is always Skyrim, on the off-chance you haven't played that yet.

Well you said budget friendly so that rules out real-life.

Wasteland 2
Might and Magic series
Divinity 2
Risen
If you haven't, go hit up GoG and look for planescape and or Baldurs Gate 2

The Mount and Blade games were cool back in the day. Should be cheap these days.

Pillars of Eternity is really good.

it will also be very friendly with your HD7770

Any of the Elder Scroll or Fallout games make great immersive RPGs.

Yeah, i put like 500 or more hours into Skyrim. Loved it. I never played the DLCs though ... maybe I'll reinstall and get the expansions. The Witcher is on my watch list. I keep hoping for a sub-$20 sale.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those. Keep 'em coming if you have more.

The original Baldur's Gate on GOG is a good buy and a decent game (if you haven't played it) ... the sister series of Icewind Dale is great for strategic combat in the RPG environment ... Planescape Torment mentioned by Climber would be a good buy and get you ready for Torment Numenera next year

The Mass Effect series are a great, fun and immersive RPG series. The ending of 3 was a bit dissapointing, but the story and gameplay itself was great. You can usually find them at extremely afforable prices on Origin (unfortunately EA owns Bioware).

If you like Star Wars, you can go oldschool and try Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic 2. Great story-driven games. Personally liked 2 better.

Like others have said the Fallout series is great for a pick me up, immersive RPG.Fallout 1 and 2 are top-down turn-based RPGs, Tactics the same, 3 & New Vegas are first-person/third-person RPGs. Big fan of Fallout, and enjoyed all of them. (Fallout 4 hype).

Divinity Original Sin

I'm at the Source temple finally but Death Knight is OP

Though not technically an rpg, I gotta recommend the STALKER series. More of a free-roaming shooter, but very immersive. $20 on steam right now. Or if you prefer free, you can find STALKER: Lost Alpha on moddb. Full re-make of the first game and totally free.

The Mass Effect series are a great, fun and immersive RPG series. The ending of 3 was a bit dissapointing, but the story and gameplay itself was great. You can usually find them at extremely afforable prices on Origin (unfortunately EA owns Bioware).

If you like Star Wars, you can go oldschool and try Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic 2. Great story-driven games. Personally liked 2 better.

Like others have said the Fallout series is great for a pick me up, immersive RPG.Fallout 1 and 2 are top-down turn-based RPGs, Tactics the same, 3 & New Vegas are first-person/third-person RPGs. Big fan of Fallout, and enjoyed all of them. (Fallout 4 hype).
Knights of the Old Republic 2 was also updated for modern systems recently, even adding the cut content the community restored. Unfortunately the first one has not received that love, but I hope it will sometime in the near future. KotOR 2 would definitely be worth it.

Best value by a large margin is Witcher 3 even if you pay full price.
I am about 280hrs in, level 24 and nowhere near finishing.
Just get it if you are at a loose end and want a very good RPG.

At first I found it boring as I tried to grind to get my stats up and it wasnt very effective.
Once I played the story more it drew me in.
It is so very well designed with a huge amount of different plots and mini storylines.
And its massive.

Yeah, i put like 500 or more hours into Skyrim. Loved it. I never played the DLCs though ... maybe I'll reinstall and get the expansions. The Witcher is on my watch list. I keep hoping for a sub-$20 sale.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those. Keep 'em coming if you have more.

Look here for some deals.
http://www.cheapshark.com/

I saw The Witcher 2 for less than $3 the other day. Maybe you should try Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin. Lords of the Fallen Deluxe Edition is a worthwhile RPG also.

I'm suggesting games that the combat feels like what you've played before.

Have you played The Witcher 1 & 2 yet? These are both great games as well, and you can pick up both for <$10. TW1 graphics are actually pretty good for as old as they are, and TW2 graphics are incredible. TW1 combat is pretty bad (almost turn-based point-&-click feeling) but once you get used to it the game sucks you in quick. These are incredibly immersive and would be great to play while you wait on TW3 to go on sale.

Besides those, Risen (1 was ok, and I really liked the pirate-themed 2) has a very similar feel to Elder Scrolls. You might like those. Risen 3 has already had a few decent sales, but I haven't tried it yet.

Also, the newer Assassin's Creed games are really good, specifically Black Flag. I didn't care for AS 1 or 2, and never played 3. But I'm a sucker for pirate-themed games, so I picked up AS4:BF and that game is amazing! Open-world with tons and tons of stuff to do, it's like 3 or 4 games all in one: sail a ship around and engage in really cool sea battles, search the world for treasure, good bit of RPG-style character development, murder tons of dudes in pointy hats, & much more! I'm on my second play-through now, think I've put over 150 hours into Black Flag at this point. Can't wait to play Unity once it gets a decent sale.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've logged tons of hours on Witcher 1 and 2. As well as Skyrim. Loved those games.

Kingdoms of Amalur- The Reckoning
19.99 on Steam

I was about to mention that one due to OP's love of Elder Scrolls, but I just couldn't.

Seriously, steer clear of Amalur. It's 100 hours of your life you'll never get back. Think of a game the size of Skyrim but with less than 1/3 as much to do. They took about 30 hours worth of content and stretched it out with an artificially huge map size and tons of repetitive grinding and fetch quests and turned it into a 100+ hour game. I never was so glad to finish and uninstall a game as when I got to the end of that one.

Try Risen (1,2,3) instead - little on the buggy side, but much more fun and well paced games.

a winter sale on steam would secure it having a cheap price.

Yeah during the Summer/Winter sales you can score Skyrim: Legendary Edition for 20 bucks.

Besides that, Divinity: Original Sin is shockingly good.

Dragon Age is another good one, doesn't look like it was mentioned yet.

It's very tactical and strategic, you have to pause the game a lot and give your people orders, then just sit back and hope your strategy worked. When I played it, coming from hundreds of hours of Elder Scrolls, it took me quite a while to get into it, but once I finally got the hang of the combat, it's a really good RPG.

About three times a year I get sucked back into Fallout 3. I'll crank our a few hundred hours then switch games for a little while. Then I get sucked back in again.

I know real life is a good RPG, I have about 27 years logged. Tons of fun, huge turns in the story that leave your jaw dropped for months at a time. You truly feel connected to every character in the story and unfortunately some characters perish while new ones are born. I'm super excited to see what comes next in the story. Sometimes it has MMO elements as well

One piece of advice though, The bucket trick from Skyrim DOES NOT work.

I know real life is a good RPG, I have about 27 years logged. Tons of fun, huge turns in the story that leave your jaw dropped for months at a time. You truly feel connected to every character in the story and unfortunately some characters perish while new ones are born. I'm super excited to see what comes next in the story. Sometimes it has MMO elements as well

This was alright. 6/10

LOL. I've logged many years in Real Life the RPG. Its actually the reason I'm looking for a new game. :)

How is this even a discussion when Fallout 4 launches in 5 days?

It's like asking "Looking for an immersive open world game where you play a criminal" a week before GTA V launch.

:)

These are RPGs I would recommend if you haven't played them. They're usually really cheap on the summer steam sales.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Mass Effect trilogy
Knights of the Old Republic 1&2

How is this even a discussion when Fallout 4 launches in 5 days?

It's like asking "Looking for an immersive open world game where you play a criminal" a week before GTA V launch.

:)

Price.

Not in a position to drop $60 for a game. Bought a new house, responsibilities and all that. Looking for something to sort of relax my brain after the stress of day-to-day.

That being said ... its really, really, REALLY tempting to try to find a way to justify the cost.

Price.

Not in a position to drop $60 for a game. Bought a new house, responsibilities and all that. Looking for something to sort of relax my brain after the stress of day-to-day.

That being said ... its really, really, REALLY tempting to try to find a way to justify the cost.

I hear ya man.

If you haven't already, try Fallout 3 and New Vegas then. They're cheap.

I didn't see any recommendations for them but I'm sure you can pick these up pretty cheap since they are older:

Two Worlds (1 or 2)
Dark Souls
Gothic 3
Arcania (Basically Gothic 4)

Witcher 1 & 2 if you havent played them, you will not be disappointed. If you don't have Skyrim, get that too.

Big sales coming up soon at GOG & Steam. Keep on the lookout.

The combat in Witcher 2 was surprisingly fun. They redesigned it from Witcher 1 ( which was fucking awful ).

Back