Looking for HTPC software for Linux

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Really only need it to manage my local media collection and only connect to the Internet to download media info, artwork, etc. I don't need or want any TV functions and I don't need it to stream to my phone, tablet, etc.
At present I'm trying to get to like Kodi but it seems to be crazy stupid unintuitive. Also slooooow with large collections.

Any ideas guys?

Plex works well. It does offer some features you don’t need, but those are easily turned off. It does excellent with managing large libraries of all kinds of media. It doesn’t sound like you’d benefit from the paid features, the free version would probably work well for you.

Plex works well. It does offer some features you don’t need, but those are easily turned off. It does excellent with managing large libraries of all kinds of media. It doesn’t sound like you’d benefit from the paid features, the free version would probably work well for you.

Thanks. Looks like you have to be connected to the Internet to use it. Don't have a Plex account so couldn't get to first base. First impressions suck.

Thanks. Looks like you have to be connected to the Internet to use it. Don't have a Plex account so couldn't get to first base. First impressions suck.
Then you're stuck with kodi basically. HTPC is dead, get a nas and run plex/kodi from an edge device. There's no sense in having on anymore unless you want to game.

Then you're stuck with kodi basically. HTPC is dead, get a nas and run plex/kodi from an edge device. There's no sense in having on anymore unless you want to game.
This. Yes plex requires an account. Most things do. It’s very flexible and extremely popular and well supported specifically by the Linux community.

It's possible that something changed, but I know you didn't used to have to have the Internet for Plex.

Edit: Nope... you don't need a Plex account or to sign in.

Plex-Without-Login.png

Last edited:
It's possible that something changed, but I know you didn't used to have to have the Internet for Plex.
I want to say I used out local for a long time without the internet. But I haven’t tested it that way in a long time. I have a lifetime plex pass so logging in makes sense.

The latest version requires you to sign in. There are no other options. :(
Dang. It’s great none the less even if you had a burner email attached to it. It’s an extra step but plex is very versatile in my experience. Just a thought.

I'm using LibreElec (based on kodi) with over 5000 *files* and it runs perfectly fine on a rPi, storage via NFS.
Apart from the misinformation (?) about Plex and logins and Internet.... Kodi is a pretty good media server.

I dropped Kodi (XBMC) for Plex when they made the major version upgrade breaking all my plugins. I just didn't want a media server that required that much babysitting.

Anybody know if Kodi stores the media info, covers, notes, etc. locally or if it's downloaded on demand?

The metadata is downloaded, or you can do so manually. Once it's there, it's there though, but perhaps there is a way to refresh it if online.

The metadata is downloaded, or you can do so manually. Once it's there, it's there though, but perhaps there is a way to refresh it if online.

Thanks. Plan is to disconnect from the Internet once everything is set up. Right now I'm fighting with adding files to the library. The concept is clear as mud. I've done it several times and each time on restart it tells me my library is empty.

Thanks. Plan is to disconnect from the Internet once everything is set up. Right now I'm fighting with adding files to the library. The concept is clear as mud. I've done it several times and each time on restart it tells me my library is empty.
I'll admit, I'm not using Kodi currently, but would think it would still work after all these years. Not sure what to tell you.

I'll admit, I'm not using Kodi currently, but would think it would still work after all these years. Not sure what to tell you.

Thanks. I'll get it sorted out. I have an enormous collection and it takes awhile for Kodi to scan it which it does do, just not adding it to the library.

Thanks. I'll get it sorted out. I have an enormous collection and it takes awhile for Kodi to scan it which it does do, just not adding it to the library.
I brought up Kodi (apparently I do have this setup).... don't remember "how" I set it up, but media meta information was showing for my media. Kodi's interface might not be the most intuitive.

I use Universal Media Server...because, aside from cover art, who the fuck needs any other metadata in your collection (that's what folders and filenames are for)

Kodi is for Control Freaks, and Plex is way too demanding of my time

I use Universal Media Server...because, aside from cover art, who the fuck needs any other metadata in your collection (that's what folders and filenames are for)

Kodi is for Control Freaks, and Plex is way too demanding of my time

Interesting but I'd rather not play my media in a browser. I also have no need to stream to any other device other than another PC. Nice to know that about Plex, thanks.

Really only need it to manage my local media collection and only connect to the Internet to download media info, artwork, etc. I don't need or want any TV functions and I don't need it to stream to my phone, tablet, etc.
At present I'm trying to get to like Kodi but it seems to be crazy stupid unintuitive. Also slooooow with large collections.

Any ideas guys?
Subsonic works great for this, and I also second Plex as the others have stated.

So apparently Kodi will not play .mkv files so I'm now looking for software that has the best compatibility i.e. the most codecs supported. Funny how Celluloid and any other Linux player will play them just fine but Kodi, which bills itself as media software will not. So which software has the best format compatibility?

TIA

I stumbled upon some info that said ver. 18 of Kodi will play .mkv files so I uninstalled the latest version and installed version 18.9 and now all is well again.

And it does according to their wiki:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Features_and_supported_formats#

Listed under container formats:

"Container formats: AVI, MPEG, WMV, ASF, FLV, MKV/MKA (Matroska), QuickTime, MP4, M4A, AAC, NUT, Ogg, OGM, RealMedia RAM/RM/RV/RA/RMVB, 3gp, VIVO, PVA, NUV, NSV, NSA, FLI, FLC, DVR-MS, WTV, TRP and F4V."

Yea, it says so but ver. 19 won't some say it's a bug, some say it's because the .mkv contains something that isn't compatible. In any event, ver. 18.9 will play them. :)

Thanks for the heads up in any-case, i'll hold off upgrading as my entire collection is MKV.

Thanks for the heads up in any-case, i'll hold off upgrading as my entire collection is MKV.

how has no one mentioned EMBY? it can be entirely local to you network, or not. has a plugin that works within KODI, can decode on the server or send to the player for decode.
how is PLEX the default standard when it sucks?

how has no one mentioned EMBY?
Because Linux is a fragmented mess, and being it is almost always free open source software the advertising budget is actually $0. Sometimes the ads are for other software just to pay for development.

Because Linux is a fragmented mess, and being it is almost always free open source software the advertising budget is actually $0. Sometimes the ads are for other software just to pay for development.
what does this have to do with anything i said?

EMBY will run on anything (has server and client software for windows.)
KODI will run on anything

or are you saying PLEX advertises?

how has no one mentioned EMBY? it can be entirely local to you network, or not. has a plugin that works within KODI, can decode on the server or send to the player for decode.
how is PLEX the default standard when it sucks?

What's the purpose of the Kodi plugin?

It syncs KODI so that you can pause in one room and resume in another room. Also it shares scrape data so you only have to scrape 1 time. Or if you use nfo files they o ly need to be in 1 place. This is all reliant on using an advanced view in KODI. if you just use raw file view in KODI only the pause/resume and a few other minor features will work.

what does this have to do with anything i said?

EMBY will run on anything (has server and client software for windows.)
KODI will run on anything

or are you saying PLEX advertises?
You asked why no one knows about an obscure open source software, I answered. Plex has nothing to do with anything.

You sold check out coreelec https://coreelec.org/ or osmc but you also can't beat just plain kodi but I get you don't want to login but plex work very well it what I use now I'm still a kodi fan but until kodi gets casting support I'm all in with plex

Late to the party, but have to second Emby. I use the windows version because it is my comfort zone...BUT, I really like Emby. They have that thing so it can run on Windows, several Linux distros and I think FreeNAS. Luke and team are also really responsive to problems. The thing can also use your GPU to decode streams. I use a 1050ti with a modded driver and that thing can decode more active streams than I can utilize.

I also played with Jellyfin (Emby's open source sibling) and liked it. I didn't go that route because there was no Samsung smartTV app.

Back