Looking for home NAS solution

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
So I have been doing some looking for a home NAS solution and I came across the D-Link DNS-323 over at SmallNetBuilder.com

I was hoping to get 2x 1tb drives, but the price difference between 750gb and 1tb drives is pulling me towards the 750gb.

I plan on running RAID-1 on this for redundancy, and in the future adding another DNS-323 to the network when the 750gb runs out (I have about 600gb of data now).

So how does this sound?

1x DNS-323
2X Seagate 750gb Drives
Total Cost: $439.97

I am looking to keep this project under $500, would I be better off buying a RAID card and running it in an older computer (I have plenty of spare computers around).

I like the NAS Idea since it uses less power, less space and has the easy web based configuration (have not looked into Linux on a spare computer NAS options yet).

I don't like the 2 drive limit on the DNS-323, but its price makes it cheap enough to just add another one to the network later one (one for videos, and one for music, photos and ISO's etc.)

So, Help me out... Is the DNS-323 a good option for me?

Thanks for linking that, the DNS-323 is looking better and better. I like the fact that you can attach external storage for backup purposes, I might just attach my current 500gb external drive to it and run JBOD with the 2x 750gb drives, then I should have plenty of storage space, and 500gb for "important" backups.

Thanks for the link to the DNS323Wiki, looks like I have alot of reading to do! (VPN, Bit torrent, SSH and unRAR caught my eye first!)

I never really even thought of replacing my downloading machine (2500+ barton / 1gb ram / 2x 500gb drives) with a NAS. Less power usage FTW!

Back