• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Looking for help with HTML

C

CPU

Guest
Hello,

I have created a blogspot page about PC games. It consists of a list of titles in alphabetical order.
It is not supposed to be complete, cause it's just made to my personal taste.

I have started adding a color code for the genres of each title and and the year of release as well.
But having to navigate through the great mess of HTML code I have lost interest in maintaining the list.

Question
Is it possible to create a fool proof & user friendly mask where I just enter color code, title, year of release and file size which then simply adds itself to the list?

Thanks very much
 
There are 2 ways to go about this fairly easily, depending on your level of experience,and want to learn.

Create a dynamic webpage using asp or php (I prefer the latter personally), then, depending on your experience use either an XML File (which you can edit and add titles easily) or use a Database (such as Mysql), Once you have the data in it, you can write the webpage so that it parses all the information, sorts it all, and displays it. You can also add nice search features, filters,etc if you wish.
 
Hello Syran,

thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of using ASP, PHP, MySQL, etc. All I have learned so far is some basic HTML. However creating an XML file with Excel should be easy. Do I need to get an own website (incl. domain) for creating a dynamic webpage? I ask because the usage of a blogger page is free. If possible, I would like to pay a few bucks (via paypal) for setting this up as I am not able to do this by myself.
 
You could design everything in Excel and save it as a "web page", then upload it to your site via ftp (or whatever means blogspot uses). It would be easier to maintain that way (imo), albeit the html code will be ugly but it should work. You could also host from dropbox or google sites for free. If you bought a domain name you can pretty much point it to whatever url you want.
 
Instead of manually setting style per-element, create a CSS class for the different types of games and use that class for the news game you add.

E.g.

Code:
<style type='text/css'>
span.simulator {
background-color: #cbb24d;
}

span.action {
background-color: #CE5A5A;
}
</style>

Then, when adding a new title (keeping your code as-is):
Code:
<span class="action">&nbsp; &nbsp;</span>&nbsp; Abyss Odyssey (2014)<br />

There are lots of ways you can create the code. If you don't want to learn programming, databases, etc, the easiest for you might be some Excel abuse. Have columns for Category, Year, Title, File Size, and Concatenate for each row, then copy/paste the output.

E.g. if columns B, C, and D were Category, Title, and Year, respectively, you could paste this into F:
Code:
=CONCATENATE("<span class=""",B1,""">&nbsp; &nbsp;</span>&nbsp; ",C1," (",D1,")<br />")

Drag the handle down your list rows, copy, paste
 
Rocket Science! :eek:

I think what I really need is someone setting up the page for me so that I only need to add the information (Genre, Title, Year of Release, Size) - be it to an XML File or some kind of mask. I could hand over the login details of a blog of mine if anyone cares to help me.
 
Really? I gave you the answer, but you want someone to do the work for you? Okay, sure, how much are you paying?
 
You gave me the answer? What is so incredible hard to understand when I say that I am unable to do this by myself because I have never done even something similar before?

I don't mind to pay for help, but go ahead and let me know how much you want.
 
Though you haven't done something similar before doesn't mean you can't do it :). What's great about the fact we're chatting online is that you have a massive wealth of information about this kind of stuff. What I suggested was a simple way to get what you wanted, but you'd really do best just searching for stuff like "customize blogspot layout" or "html tutorial" or "css tutorial" or "excel concatenate" or similar. Those would help you find what the stuff above does, and more than that, how to do it. Good luck!
 
Back
Top