Looking for help with finding a Display which is bigger than 24"

Entropy1982

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I am willing to spend up to about 700 dollars on a display. I am not a professional graphics designer etc. I mostly play games, use photoshop, browse, etc... nothing special

This is my rig:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15624227

I have 2 crappy 22" monitors and will probably tilt them at an angle on either side of this new one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Well, I'd just go with the HP LP2475w. Yes, you want bigger than 24", but there is not much of a point because even a monitor in the 26-28" range will have the same res, and any decent ones in that range will be above $700.

Well, I'd just go with the HP LP2475w. Yes, you want bigger than 24", but there is not much of a point because even a monitor in the 26-28" range will have the same res, and any decent ones in that range will be above $700.

Hmm I will take that into consideration, but that seems like more of a professional type of monitor. I do not really need it for professional use. Someone even stated how this is by no means a gaming monitor etc. My budget is pretty flexible if it goes up to 750-900 area i could pull that if the quality is worthit.

Hmm I will take that into consideration, but that seems like more of a professional type of monitor. I do not really need it for professional use. Someone even stated how this is by no means a gaming monitor etc. My budget is pretty flexible if it goes up to 750-900 area i could pull that if the quality is worthit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016084

I'd go with that then. It's a great gaming monitor and has an IPS panel...

What is the advantage of an IPS panel... (I can see the word "noob" form within your brain as you read this lol)

What is the advantage of an IPS panel... (I can see the word "noob" form within your brain as you read this lol)

Better color, better viewing angles. IPS and *VA technologies are the best panels, most think ips is the best of those.

I'd look at the 30" monitors, you could pick one up in your price range that's refurbished. It's bigger than 24", and has a bigger resolution.

Well honestly I do care I just have not had anything but shitty monitors so I don't know how much better a good panel is :)

How is the monitor you have? 305T.... I would be willing to spend 1200ish for a 30 inch if its a good one with the good panel you speak of :)

Well honestly I do care I just have not had anything but shitty monitors so I don't know how much better a good panel is :)

How is the monitor you have? 305T.... I would be willing to spend 1200ish for a 30 inch if its a good one with the good panel you speak of :)

I love my 305t, and I think you'll love it too (everyone who owns it seems to love it) But there are some people who are sensitive to input lag and don't like it for it, but I do not sense the input lag at all.

The dell 3007wfp seems to be a favorite among gamers here, but I think PQ on it is crap, and its antiglare coating is too aggressive for my tastes...

Thank you for your input I think I will probably be getting one of those two.

What is PQ?

i just use it short for "picture quality"

IMO, the 305T has much better PQ than the 3007wfp, but some people don't seem to mind. Honestly, I think you'd be happy with both...

i just use it short for "picture quality"

IMO, the 305T has much better PQ than the 3007wfp, but some people don't seem to mind. Honestly, I think you'd be happy with both...

I'd also take a look at the HP LP3065, I just got one, and I think it's pretty awesome. I've heard a lot of good things about the samsung as well. The HP and the Dell use the same panel, so same AG coating, but the colors are supposedly a little better, and it has 3 DVI inputs, instead of just 1 on the dell. The dell and hp are IPS, the samsung is a PVA screen.

I just bought the HP, and it sits next to two NEC 2090UXI's, the HP's PQ is just as good as the nec's, but the color is off ever so slightly, but that's a byproduct of being wide gamut, which all of these monitors are. Honestly I probably wouldn't notice the colors except for the fact that you can see it when viewing something that spans across the monitors.

Last edited:
I'd also take a look at the HP LP3065, I just got one, and I think it's pretty awesome. I've heard a lot of good things about the samsung as well. The HP and the Dell use the same panel, so same AG coating, but the colors are supposedly a little better.

Contrast, blacks, and overall uniformity are better on the Samsung, but overall color accuracy and viewing angles are a little better on the DELL/HP. There's also less input lag on them. However, people will disagree on that, and some would agree...It's all up to the person looking at the monitor.

Contrast, blacks, and overall uniformity are better on the Samsung, but overall color accuracy and viewing angles are a little better on the DELL/HP. There's also less input lag on them. However, people will disagree on that, and some would agree...It's all up to the person looking at the monitor.

I meant the color was a little better on the HP vs the Dell.... I really don't have anything to offer about the samsung.

Hmm I see that one of the main downsides of the 3007 is that the factory config is terrible. I found some review saying "In terms of manually correcting this, unless you have a Dell computer
, there is no access to any adjustments except brightness. Therefore, a calibration tool is necessary for correcting colors."

What kind of tool would I have to get and is anyone qualified to use these tools?

Thanks

Hmm I see that one of the main downsides of the 3007 is that the factory config is terrible. I found some review saying "In terms of manually correcting this, unless you have a Dell computer
, there is no access to any adjustments except brightness. Therefore, a calibration tool is necessary for correcting colors."

What kind of tool would I have to get and is anyone qualified to use these tools?

Thanks

considering you don't need color accuracy, that should not be a concern...

Would I need to buy a dual link dvi cable or something?

My setup will be 2 GTX260s in SLI. Sorry for the noob question but do I need some sort of cable to SLI the cards? does it come w the mobo?

I had to buy one for my 3008wfp, but that was because dell didn't ship it with the monitor.. Basically if you want to run at 2560x1600 resolution, then yes you need a dual link monitor. I think that goes for 1920x1280 as well, but I could be wrong.

You need to be careful with entry level 30" monitors.
Most of them have no connectivity, no image controls, suffer from wide color gamut, some have PVA panels.
No connectivity = just one digital connector for the computer - confined to PC (no BD player, no PS3)
No image controls = a bare panel with brightness control only. In case you manage to connect a BD payer or PS3 insted of a PC - distorted geometry and no color settings.
Wide color gamut - most of every day images will have unrealistic "chemical" colors.
PVA panel - color shift = loss of dark details when viewing straight on and quick drop in contrast otherwise.
There are a couple of good 30" but they are expensive.
Have a look at Gateway XHD3000. There is a huge thread about it in this forum - there are some cons about it.
It's PVA too, but it has connectivity, image controls, no wide gamut issues and it's inexpensive.

I will only be using this only for my PC. I have a 50 inch kuro for my ps3 :)

Is my Corsair 620HX going to be enough to run 2X GTX260s in sli?

I'm pretty sure that 1900x1200 can use a single-link cable (as according to wikipedia), but a dual-link is needed for a 30" monitor. Generally ordering the cable is best; monoprice (I think?) is pretty good about that.

As for the cable for SLI - generally, that should come with the motherboard or video card. Its pretty simple to plug in, and instructions are probably in the GTX 260 manuals.

As for the PSU, I think you will be using both 6-pin connectors to power one card.. If you do not have a ton of HDDs, you could take power off of some of the SATA or Molex connectors with adapters. IF you can afford a 1000W PSU, I would hit that instead. Please be careful, though, about power draw out of the socket(8.4 amps). Make sure your PS3 and huge TV are not on the same breaker and running at the same time.

Last edited:
You need to be careful with entry level 30" monitors.
Most of them have no connectivity, no image controls, suffer from wide color gamut, some have PVA panels.
No connectivity = just one digital connector for the computer - confined to PC (no BD player, no PS3)
No image controls = a bare panel with brightness control only. In case you manage to connect a BD payer or PS3 insted of a PC - distorted geometry and no color settings.
Wide color gamut - most of every day images will have unrealistic "chemical" colors.
PVA panel - color shift = loss of dark details when viewing straight on and quick drop in contrast otherwise.
There are a couple of good 30" but they are expensive.
Have a look at Gateway XHD3000. There is a huge thread about it in this forum - there are some cons about it.
It's PVA too, but it has connectivity, image controls, no wide gamut issues and it's inexpensive.

*facepalm*

PVA is not a con depending on the user. You like to view your monitors 100 feet to the side, so I can see why the slightly less viewing angles of an IPS monitor matter to you. There is no loss of details when viewing a VA panel straight on from black crush. Maybe ones from 2-3 years ago, but now that is simply not the case. Why don't you check out the newer Samsung monitors (like the 305t+) and talk after seeing stuff with your own eyes.

Secondly, wide gamut is not a defect of the monitor. That is ridiculous. Blame it on software for not being color managed (even if it is complicated), but not on the monitor. Plus, I'm sure a lot of hardcore photoshop users appreciate wide gamut...

Third of all, I think he'd be fine with a TN panel.

Remember Albovin, advice depending on the needs of the user--not your own needs. Honestly, the OP could save a lot of money with the 28" hanns TN panel, and I think he'd be perfectly happy with it.

What other hardware is in your PC? I'd say it's enough. I recommend going here: http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx to check

Last edited:
I will only be using this only for my PC. I have a 50 inch kuro for my ps3 :)

That makes things easier: lack of connectivity is not critical and you are not sensitive to input lag (kuro has 3 frames).
No idea about other equipment productivity, sorry.

To Omerta

ABCs of LCD monitors.

Agree about 28" TN.
I've tested Hanns-G. No satisfactory external video support. Other than that - more than enough for a gamer.

Hmm so you guys think i should save 700 bucks and go for this monitor? What kind of difference would there be between the Dell and the 28" hanns? My budget is pretty lax so I don't mind spending the money. I am a dentist so my eyes are very important to me. Let me put it this way: Why do you guys have non-TN panels?

Hmm so you guys think i should save 700 bucks and go for this monitor? What kind of difference would there be between the Dell and the 28" hanns? My budget is pretty lax so I don't mind spending the money. I am a dentist so my eyes are very important to me. Let me put it this way: Why do you guys have non-TN panels?

If you have the money, get the 30". You might be happy with the hanns, that's totally true, but it's 28" at 1920x1200 vs 30" at 2560x1600, that's a huge difference. The text is going to be a lot bigger on the hanns than on the 30", much less desktop real estate.

I have a non tn panel because that's all they make 30" panels in. The resolution of the 30 is really nice, it's a HUGE desktop. going from 1600x1200 to this is massive, I doubt that going from 1600x1200 to 1920x1200 would be anywhere near as noticeable. On a 30 you can have two documents open side by side, or two firefox windows, or just lots of stuff, so much space to work with.

Basically my advice is, if you have the money, get the 30, if you want to save some cash, get something else, I'd get a decent 24" before the hanns myself, it's the same resolution, same desktop size.

There are better options than the dell, I'd look at the hp vs the samsung, both have more than one input.

Back