Looking for help: TN 120hz 23" - 27" around $400

viisual

n00b
Buying between now and December.

I've done a lot of research, unfortunately it hasn't really helped me narrow anything down.

I've been using these for 5 years for comparison:
Home: Acer AL2223W
Work: Apple Cinema

I don't think I care about AG / Matte / Glossy; honestly, I'm sure it wont bother me nearly as much as a dead pixel, blacklight bleed/pinch, old firmware, or artifacts. I believe both monitors I use currently are AG and Matte.

I don't have an issue going through calibration for the new monitor.

I'd love to get the Samsung A950D, but I don't think I can justify the $600 price point, when my 50" Plasma was around the same cost.

I've been looking over the BenQ XL2410T pretty extensively, and that's seemingly the winner at this point, I can get this for $325.

Other monitors I've come across as being top dogs:
Asus VG236H
Asus ML239H
Viewsonic VX2739wm
Planar SA2311W
Alienware AW2310
LG W2363D

It's very likely I overlooked a good monitor choice... these are just the ones that I've seen mentioned over and over. I'm sure I can't go wrong with any of them; but some guidance would be awesome...

I realize people will be partial, not everyone has tested every monitor, but that doesn't mean I wont take your input to heart for this important decision of my new gaming rig!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Planar (matte) and Asus (glossy) are the best, pick glossy or matte. Nothing wrong with the Alienware but it is overpriced and the Planar is better (read the 3d vision blog review). The rest all have issues, the LG stands out since it is total garbage due to the terrible colors and aggressive ag coating.

The Planar (matte) and Asus (glossy) are the best, pick glossy or matte. Nothing wrong with the Alienware but it is overpriced and the Planar is better (read the 3d vision blog review). The rest all have issues, the LG stands out since it is total garbage due to the terrible colors and aggressive ag coating.

Sorry, can you clarify which Asus, I'm fairly sure both are glossy.
edit: ML model isn't 120hz, figured it out.

Should I put much thought into 23", 24", or 27" in regards to gaming?

--

I'm trying to find a brick & mortar store i can go to to preview these monitors... looks like Frys has the Asus and BenQ (not the planar or the Alienware though)

Last edited:
Asus VG, the ML239H is a 60hz matte IPS panel.

You can only buy 60hz 27" panels with your budget, if you want a 60hz 27" get the matte asus ve278q or glossy hp 2711x. When talking about such small sizes only the jump to a 120hz 27" is worth it.

What 27"/120HZ would you recommend if one were willing to spend a little more?

how about Samsung S27A350H or S27A550H?
both sub 300 euro and the price difference is about 30 euro.

The 550H is worthless ovepriced trash (I tested one) and pcmonitors.org has a review of the 350H, it is ok but I would take a 120hz 23" over a 60hz 27" TN any day.

The 950D is good but asus has a 120hz 27" coming out soon....

NCX,

I followed the link in your sig; saw the GOW3 pics and thought,

Damn he has a nice TV!

Then I scrolled down and realized it was the Asus VG236H you recommended!

I can't wait to see this monitor in person, there is no benefit to playing console games on a 120hz is there?

P.S. Are you a M/KB player? (check: www.xim3.com ...if you are, otherwise ignore that)

I just purchased an Asus VG236H earlier this week. I can offer some impressions on it, if you'd like, once I've got my new build up and running?

I just purchased an Asus VG236H earlier this week. I can offer some impressions on it, if you'd like, once I've got my new build up and running?

I'd love too hear you're impressions!

--

eXces, I believe so: http://support.asus.com/knowledge.a...&s=26&m=VG278H&os=&hashedid= scyOAkYbYqeWhq8e

I estimate mid/late october, but wtf do I know...

I could potentially put the radiator on the outside or the fan on the outside, but then there will be a slight gap between the two and it wont look nearly as clean. Unless someone can link and extremely thin radiator/fan combo.

Which also brings into question, do I want the fan pulling from the vent and pushing the radiator, or the radiator where the fan used to be and the fan pulling from the radiator *unsure*

Last edited:
Just to warn you, dont decide to "splurge" and go for the 950D if you hate backlight bleed. The bleed/pinch on that thing is really really bad. I, any many others here have sent them back for that. Im about to try the 750D which is supposed to be very similar, and currently on buy.com for $550. Ill let you know how it works out.

Im defitnetly gonna wait for that new Asus 27' 3D monitor.....it gonna release this month, but too bad its matte and not glossy :(

So... here you can win it: http://promos.asus.com/us/VG278H/#.TpizLHLN5I4

Odds are like 1:250 at the moment, expected to be 1:10,000, but it is free to enter.

edit: It states drawing is on 11/1/11, I wonder if that's when they will release it?

edit2: 9. "Prize, Approximate Retail Value. Each Winner will receive one (1) ASUS VG278H monitor (“Prize”), each with an approximate retail value (“ARV”) of seven hundred US dollars ($700.00 USD)."

edit3: Winner selected on Nov 1 at 6:00 PM PST.

Last edited:
So just got back from Fry's and well...

I saw the Asus, Viewsonic and BenQ.

Asus was very nice, vibrant, colorful, good all around; reminded me of my panny plasma.

BenQ was washed out, dull, and 60hz only. Upon inspecting further it was plugged into a monitor hub, which was plugged into a low end computer driving the monitors off the Intel graphics. I was let down; I don't know... if the Intel graphics were the cause of it's pale comparison to the Asus (which was 120hz with an ati 6870) or if that indeed is how the monitor looks regardless of it's source. (Noob, I know...) I _know_ that was the reason for the 60hz limitation, the hub of monitors.

Viewsonic was meh.

Interesting... do you think it could be because they're displaying an old batch of the XL2410T? I have seen quite a few of XL2410T in action and they are all brilliant. Of course, I've also seen quite a few that were washed out as well, but the washed out ones had older manufacturing dates. Did you by chance check the manufacturing date?

The main reason why I like the XL2410T is because of its design though. I really like how on this monitor you get the function of switching between screen sizes and aspect ratios because its something I know that all gamers appreciate, as it can be really helpful. I personally also hate it when gaming on a monitor where the image is stretched to fit the widescreen display. I also think the platform design is really sturdy and it just makes perfect sense, honestly I don't see why all monitors are not designed that way (except for cost and assembly complications). But it really is awesome how you have so much flexibility in movement with this gaming monitor. That's why I still think it's the best gaming monitor out there. I mean yes, there are a few that do it as well, like the Asus VG236H and Alienware AW2310, but I feel that they aren't as sturdy and they just fail when you try to actually play with the height adjustment and swivel. But then again that's just my take.

By the way, I just read in the XL2410T forum that there is going to be new generations of the XL2410T out soon! You could wait till the holiday season, perhaps they are thinking of launching it then. Plus, honestly, by then, or even on Black Friday, you might find greater deals on all brands!

Actually, I brought it home from Frys and set it up because I was so curious.

It was the display it was pretty terrible. Having said that I do notice that it's snappier, but I'm not sure I really notice the 120hz as much as anticipated (although I only have the one video card atm)...

It's vibrant and pretty good; I don't have anything to calibrate it via OSD, but comparatively to work and play monitors; it's far superior.

Two things...

I'm fairly sure I want 16:10, and I'm also fairly sure I want glossy.

Matte is fine, but I play in the dark always. I also don't care about 3D, but do about 120hz, and low input lag is a must in 60hz mode as well, which the benQ does suffer a bit IIRC.

I'm still very happy with it; I'd recommend it, but I need to see some more monitors to make up my mind. The 27" Asus coming out later this month looks nice, and those new benQs perhaps as well...

I have the Alienware Optx AW2310 and the colors sucked out of the box but after some minor readjusting, it's been pretty good to me. As far as a display for editing or viewing, it's not bad, gaming is very smooth on it though.

I would stick to Samsung or ASUS in your case. A close buddy of mine has the BenQ and says it's great for gaming and nothing else.

Back