Looking for Headphones, maybe odd priorities

Åndhrimnir

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. My current ones (Sennheiser HD202s) are falling apart.

I'm not looking for audiophile quality though. At least not in sound. Not that it wouldn't be a nice plus, and I do want decent sound quality - at least as good, if not better, than my current pair.

What I want more than anything though is decent quality. My 202s are plastic-y, flimsy, cheap crap. I hate how they feel.

For under $150 or so, can I get headphones with good build quality? I'd much prefer something that felt a little bit more rugged - not so flimsy. Also, the 202s allow you to shift the ear cups up and down, and they do this way too easily. The headband flops around asymmetrically on my head - drives me nuts.

...And preferably ones that make sound. I like sounds. :p

EDIT: It really could be a gaming headset too. If it's got a mic on it, I don't mind. Extra features are neat. As long as they're build WELL and sound decent.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
While slightly above $150 (180ish + shipping), I have found beyerdynamic DT series to be the best built headphones, if not, one of the best. For your case, I am referring to the DT770. I can say without a doubt it is far better built than Sennheisers and Audio Technicas.

Sure, you can argue that higher end sennheisers and ATs can take a beating, but its no match for what beyers can handle. Ive had them go through hell and back. I've dropped them, dragged them, used them in various situations on laptop/on the train/on the go, and had them stuffed and squashed in various drawers and backpacks for years. 3 years later, and its still in excellent condition, the only wear is that the lettering on the ear cups is starting to wear off, but apart from that, its still a tank. It clamps onto your head very well, you wouldn't have to worry about that department.

While yes, it is over your budget, it fits your needs on the build quality section, and oh, they sound great :D

Apart from beyers, I'm not sure what I'd suggest build quality wise :S

Look at the ATH-M50's ($108.50) they should fit the bill as well as sounding much better than your current pair.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Really all of the suggestions so far are solid. Were I to echo one of them though, it would be for the Beyerdynamic DT-770's.

Like Empty_Quarter, mine have been through hell and are still in perfect shape. I had to replace the earcups, but that's just because the velour got a little dingy after a couple of years of constant use.

They were actually my standard "use for everything" desktop headphones for a long time. Just recently I got a pair of 990's and now the 770's ride around in my travel bag paired with a NuForce uDAC to bypass the noisy onboard sound on my laptop.

Back