• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for headphone/sc/dac recommendation

F-7

n00b
Joined
Sep 19, 2013
Messages
5
Whew, hi there.

So, yesterday my G930 broke, in like litterally broke. The plastic holding the left earpice completly cracked, and is held only by the cable. Needless to say, thats kinda uncomfortable (also the right earpiece is held by only 50% of the platic intended to hold it.)
No, I didn't throw it around or step on it.

So we'll im searching for something new.
Obviously I could get the same again, but I'd like to ask. Is there something that would be a day/night difference to those ?

Budget is about 500-600€(less is always an option though :p).

Some infos:
- I only have onboard sound
- I don't have lossless audi files and such. Most music comes from YT, or standard mp3 files.
- I kinda like positional audio ... a lot. (stealth games and such)
- I listen mostly to slower music/voice.
- Sturdy please, also wearable without getting uncomfortable.
- My speakers are the old z5000, if that is relevant at all.
- Residence: Germany.

I don't need wireless or a mic per se. I never had the "open" kind, but im not adverse to those.

So what would be a sensible combo to get. Or should I just get the something like the 930 again because ther's not that much of a difference ?
 
If you're just listening to youtube and low quality MP3 files, there's no point in any kind of expensive setup. Just get some low impedance Beyerdynamics, Sennheisers, etc. Hook it up and let it go. You obviously don't care about high fidelity stuff, so you should probably spend like 99-150 max. Almost any earphones can actually have positional audio so to speak. I think that's mostly a software side thing.
 
Check out the Sennheiser HD598 which can be found for reasonable prices and sounds good from a soundcard or onboard audio solution.
 
Beyerdynamic DT 770s are extremely comfortable, but are known bass-cannons. I like them and I mostly listen to hard rock / blues. If you are listening to on-board sound, get the 80ohm version. Don't own the HD598, but found them to be very comfortable in-store and the sound was pretty good as well. Either one of these are very good choices.

If you want to spend more then l3eyond's suggestion should be quite good.
 
For your listening you can spend less, a lot less. Rather than blowing all that cash on one setup, I'd use it to train your ear. Find a good, inexpensive, dac/amp and then buy good comfortable cans. Don't buy the Senn HD598, buy the 518. Then go buy the AKG K240. Train your ear, listen to the subtleties. Find another set of well reviewed <$100 headphones and listen to them, maybe the Philips SHP9500.
 
The Sennheiser HD598s are going to be the most comfortable and awesome sounding headphones you've probably ever worn. They can compete with some headphones a class or two above ;)

That being said, if you're listening to shitty quality music streams you just need to get some cheap ass headphones since you won't really know the difference :D
 
For your listening you can spend less, a lot less. Rather than blowing all that cash on one setup, I'd use it to train your ear. Find a good, inexpensive, dac/amp and then buy good comfortable cans. Don't buy the Senn HD598, buy the 518. Then go buy the AKG K240. Train your ear, listen to the subtleties. Find another set of well reviewed <$100 headphones and listen to them, maybe the Philips SHP9500.

This idea is not without merit. It's great to learn what you are hearing, and eventually discover where exactly a headphone might be limited. Then look for better one to address that issue.

I still recommend the HD598 though, if you just want great sound right now.
 
Back
Top