• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for headphone amp with digital input

Gatticus

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Messages
1,487
I want to take the digital output on my X-Fi to a digital input on a headphone amp. That means the headphone amp needs it's own DAC, right? Any good ones for about $300.00 - $400.00 CAD that have digital input? Have to be able to buy it in Canada too. Have had enough BS from customs before so don't need that headache again.
 
If you're running your XFI for games I'd stick with using it's analogue output. This lets you keep all the fancy surround + EAX effects for games since that stuff doesn't get applied to the digital output on creative cards.
XFI->Analog->Headphone Amp-Headphones is a great setup to use for gaming. Especially since the XFI does a far better job with headphones + positioning in games over how the Audigy 2 ZS did.
 
Hmm, ok, maybe I should stick with analog then. But I look at the manual for the X-Fi and I don't see an analog line level out. It shows digital out which is also a mic input (using mic on it right now) and three analog outs (front/center/rear). All three are being used by my speakers. I don't want to have to go to the back of my computer everytime I want to switch between headphone amp and speakers. I guess the headphone amp would plug in to the front analog out. That really doesn't work for me. I need a line level out too so when using headphones I can mute the speakers and use the headphone amp. Do I need a different soundcard or is this doable on the X-Fi?
 
If you've got the platinum or higher xfi, you can set it so when you plug headphones into the front port it will automatically switch you to heaphone mode and mute your speakers. As far as a lineout from the back you'd be stuck sharing th eport with your front port. You could buy a switch for it to change back and forth, but you'll still be stuck having to change speaker config modes and such each time. Your best best would proabably be to go from the front headphone port->amp->headphones.
 
I don't have the front panel as I just have X-Fi Extreme Music model. Well, maybe a new soundcard with all the ports I need is in my future. Thanks for all the replies.
 
if you use the digital out it should allow you to keep all your EAC and CMSS 3D and stuff
 
Does all the EAX and other audio processing stuff get applied to the digital output on the XFI? I was under the assumption it was the same as the older audigy cards where you lost all that stuff.
 
Mister X said:
Wrong again. ;)


Dammit.. I'm gonna go sit in the corner with the dunce cap on. This does however open up some new options for me at home :) Thanks for the info boss.
 
Well, this brings me back to my original question which hasn't been answered. What's a decent headphone amp with digital input?
 
Back
Top