Looking for first tv tuner. How this one?

I can't tell from the link if the card has software or hardward encoding or decoding,
make sure you get hardware it's much better
Hauppauge is a great card !
I have one (must be great :D )

Check out this for more info
Hauppage

Or you could search these forums a bit.

Hardware encoding cards are much better since they take almost all the load off the CPU when watching tv.

n64man120 said:
Or you could search these forums a bit.

Hardware encoding cards are much better since they take almost all the load off the CPU when watching tv.

Ah, completely makes sense. The problem is that the Dell site does not say the model number of the card....

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's a software encoding card. Wait for one of the "Big dogs" to come around and read your thread. They'll have a better idea

Hmm ok, so basically if I am using the card to watch tv...then it will be taking u all the usage and I cant do anything else at the same time correct?

qbackin said:
Hmm ok, so basically if I am using the card to watch tv...then it will be taking u all the usage and I cant do anything else at the same time correct?
Softencoding cards (like the one above or one of ATI's AIW cards) use a software to encode the video signal feed to them, this slows down your system.

A hardencoder has dedicated hardware that does this on the card with little to no CPU usage.

qbackin said:
Jebus dude ease up...

How can something free be a rip-off anyways ;)

cuz it isn't free. you are giving something of value for it. that makes it not free. There is a $43 swing from PCalchemy's price and Dell's price. that's pretty decent.for $23 more you could get 3 tuners at PCalchemy.

IDversusEGO said:
cuz it isn't free. you are giving something of value for it. that makes it not free. There is a $43 swing from PCalchemy's price and Dell's price. that's pretty decent.for $23 more you could get 3 tuners at PCalchemy.

im pretty sure that $75 coupon he got from dell was due to the price difference from what he payed for his 2005fpw and what its going for right now... (I think I read that thread because I bought my 2005fpw for the same price you did and Im thinking of calling them up to get that same coupon)

so technically he did get the coupon for free (depends on how you want to define free.. he didn't work for it?)

the cash orignally came out of his pocket, Dell just returned it to him. It's like callign tax returns free money. It's not, it's just money you earned and are getting back. And working for it does not truly define free. Anytime you have to exchange something of value for something else, it is costing you something. You are giving up an asset to obtain an asset. that is cost. Callign this free is what we tell our wives so they don't get mad even though we know it isn't really free. ;)

Dictionary definition of cost - The expenditure of funds or use of property to acquire or produce a product or service.

but I digress, we are getting off topic. That is a good card, and if he wants to pay that for it, it's his choice. I could find plenty of things that are a better bargain to use my coupon for. hell, a refurb PC can be had for 200 if you keep your eye out.

Back