Looking for first 2.1 setup

TheGardenTool

2[H]4U
I'll start by admitting that I've never owned a proper set of computer speakers. I've always used a standalone CD stereo system or headphones. For the past couple of years I've been strictly using headphones, not even great ones. I'd like to purchase a decent set of speakers.

They will mostly be used for gaming, music, audio and video streaming and other general computer usage. I'd also like to be able to plug an Xbox 360 or other console into them as well.

Due to space and room setup, I think a 2.1 set might be my best bet. I'd also prefer something where the subwoofer can sat on the floor at least not in front of me.

For reference I'll just set a $100 price limit but that's flexible either up or down.

If anybody could point me to some products that could match my requirements it would be appreciated.

The problem with a $100 budget and wanting a 2.1 instead of a 2.0 system, is that you are limited to the crappy plastic speakers from the likes of Logitech, Creative and Klipsch. Here are some quality 2.0 active desktop monitor setups that will sound much better.

Audioengine A2: $200
M-Audio AV30: $100
M-Audio AV40: $150
Swan D1080MKII: $125
Swan M200MKII: $190 <---- best value for your money, ask me how I know.
Alesis M1 520: $200
Alesis M1 320: $100
JBL Control 2P: $200
Samson MediaOne 3A: $100
Edirol MA-7A BK: $100
Edirol MA-15D BK: $190
Wharfedale DP8.1A: $130
Wharfedale DP8.2A: $150
Behringer MS40: $140 <--- built-in DAC
Tascam VLA4: $150

The list can go on forever. There are so many good quality speakers for computers out there, its a shame that marketing is pushing the plastic crap that Klipsch, Creative and Logicrap sell.

Well if there is nothing decent in the price limit, I can raise it like I said. It's a pretty flexible price limit. My main concerns are 2.1, able to use it with an additional source, not needing the third speaker sitting in front of like like some using midwoofers and having a good setup.

If my desk was setup different having the speaker in front of me wouldn't be a problem but my 24" monitor already barely fits in its place.

if you go the audioengine route, use coupon code MW09 on their site for 25% off, bringing the A2's to $150.

Lol, are you kidding me?:p the man is asking for a 2.1 setup, and you suggest him a single tower that is double his budget. Oh my.:eek:

My main concerns are 2.1, able to use it with an additional source, not needing the third speaker sitting in front of like like some using midwoofers and having a good setup.
I think your concern about the third speaker sitting in front comes from the Swans M10. but trust me, not all speakers are like that, not all need a third speaker in the front for optimal performance, there's conventional sets that you can place a subwoofer in the floor.

As far as accepting other sources, I don't know what you mean exactly. But if you refer to connecting them to various items, like a PC, and later to the TV, or even a PS2, yes you can do that. However, you are gonna have to unplug and re-plug them whenever you change source. It's very hard to find something to allows source switching, let alone at the price point, or with good good quality.

Audioengine A2: $200
M-Audio AV30: $100
M-Audio AV40: $150
Swan D1080MKII: $125
Swan M200MKII: $190 <---- best value for your money, ask me how I know.
Alesis M1 520: $200
Alesis M1 320: $100
JBL Control 2P: $200
Samson MediaOne 3A: $100
Edirol MA-7A BK: $100
Edirol MA-15D BK: $190
Wharfedale DP8.1A: $130
Wharfedale DP8.2A: $150
Behringer MS40: $140 <--- built-in DAC
Tascam VLA4: $150
Hey, amazing how lazy people are right? This is the third thread with the exact same question since monday. Copying and Pasting that list works like a charm, doesn't it. :D

Lol, are you kidding me?:p the man is asking for a 2.1 setup, and you suggest him a single tower that is double his budget. Oh my.:eek:

I think your concern about the third speaker sitting in front comes from the Swans M10. but trust me, not all speakers are like that, not all need a third speaker in the front for optimal performance, there's conventional sets that you can place a subwoofer in the floor.

As far as accepting other sources, I don't know what you mean exactly. But if you refer to connecting them to various items, like a PC, and later to the TV, or even a PS2, yes you can do that. However, you are gonna have to unplug and re-plug them whenever you change source. It's very hard to find something to allows source switching, let alone at the price point, or with good good quality.

Hey, amazing how lazy people are right? This is the third thread with the exact same question since monday. Copying and Pasting that list works like a charm, doesn't it. :D

Wow. Must be embarrassing.

You might want to go back and actually read what you saw.

It's for a pair smart guy.

Wow. Must be embarrassing.

You might want to go back and actually read what you saw.

It's for a pair smart guy.
Oh my bad. Picture is very deceiving. Also, first time I see pairs been sold, I normally see individuals.
However, he would still need some king of amplifier tho, which probably costs more than the speakers themselves. Better quality? Maybe. More expensive? Absolutely.

In the original post I stated "If you have a receiver..."

If he doesn't have access to one, then you're correct; as I hinted to that.

In the original post I stated "If you have a receiver..."

If he doesn't have access to one, then you're correct; as I hinted to that.
Ok dude, let it go. I made a mistake and I admit it. Now lets move on.

So I guess we have to see what he says, so we can help him further.

Forget 2.1, go for 1.0.

Your other ridiculous thread was enough, there is NO need to troll this one. Normal human beings like stereo speakers to listen to music... for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
If you can only hear in one ear then mono would be an option and less expensive. You wouldn't be missing much.

If you can only hear in one ear then mono would be an option and less expensive. You wouldn't be missing much.

I'd imagine people with hearing loss in one ear can still enjoy stereo sound. If you put your hand over your right ear, you can still tell when sounds originate west of you.

Your other ridiculous thread was enough, there is NO need to troll this one. Normal human beings like stereo speakers to listen to music... for obvious reasons.

Are the reasons obvious?

I think it's obvious I don't know them---please, tell me why this is.

Back