Looking for fast 2 disk NAS.

Skillz'n Magic

Weaksauce
I'm looking for a fast 2 disk NAS to use for daily backups off a SAN.

Requirements:
I will be putting this at an off-site location so I need something reliable that won't lockup.
I want a two disk setup to cut down on MTBF. It would be long drive to replace a HDD.
I want to run a RAID 1 and have at least 1TB of usable space.
I don't want to spend more than about $800 as this will be "temporary" (about a year or so).
Speed is important.

So far the best candidate I've found is the Synology DS209+. It's the fastest NAS I've found in my price range.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108017

I figured I'd get that and add a couple WD RE3 drives to it and I'd hit my budget of $800.

I'm looking for input from you guys. Anyone have this Synology? Or do you have a better candidate?

Thanks.

The DS209+ is a great unit if you looking for a plug n play nas solution.

When it comes to speed and reliability, the only thing I can think of that would be better would be like an VIA or Atom based barebone, but then you would have to support an OS as well, and I dont think that is what you are looking for.

Really the DS209+ is great and packed with features.
However you if have a drive fail, its no Hot-swap you have to power down and swap.
O and dont upgrade the SO-DIMM ram as it will void your warranty.

A good source for this type of information is SMALL NET BUILDER. A quick look at his charts shows that you have made a great choice with the DS209+ as it is twice as fast as any other 2 drive NAS out there and you don't have to deal with the setup and ongoing maintenance issues of a DIY setup. His reviews are very thorough, and his only complaints are that it is pricey and that you can't hotswap the drives.

I would go with WD GP drives to minimize heat buildup and the fact that I do not know how TLER interacts with a RAID 1 setup. RE drives are really meant for a RAID 5 or 6 setup.

I would also pay a visit to Synology's web site and find out the biggest drive that they support and go with that. Better safe than sorry.

Don

Hmm...looks like my last post didn't survive the db crash. :)

To sum it up: I've decided to go with the 209+

Cyant - This is going into a rack we lease at a data center or else I would definitely go with a DIY setup.

Nitrobass24 - Thanks for the non-hot swap info, I didn't catch that before. This will only be used to house backups so taking it offline in the event of a HDD failure.

DonDon- Thanks for the links and suggestions. I took a look at their compatibility list and think I'll go with a pair of 1TB Caviar Green drives to keep thermals down.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Back