Looking for download to test out 5.1 setup?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I am looking for a easy to use free download that has good 5.1 sound. just something cool that can show me what my new speakers can sound like. It can either be a .exe file or some kind of media file like a divx.

Can an MP3 be encoded with 5.1?

forgive my ignorance in this area, I am new to 5.1 audio.

I have a couple movies such as Lord of the Rings I could use but I am kinda looking for something a little more exagerated such as the THX Robot scene at the begining of some movies at the theater! Also I dont think I have DVD player software capable of 5.1, all I have is PowerDVD 5 that came with my DVD Burner.

LoTR actually makes a kinda nice demo track...plus there should be a test feature in your control utility.

ashmedai said:
LoTR actually makes a kinda nice demo track...plus there should be a test feature in your control utility.
Problem is my copy of PowerDVD is a 2 channel OEM version.

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/publications/tech3000_series/tech3253/index.php

Tech 3253 - Sound Quality Assessment Material (SQAM)

Recordings for subjective tests
One fundamental prerequisite for achieving comparable results in listening tests carried out at different places, is the use of identical test material. In response to this need, the EBU SQAM Compact Disc contains a set of audio programme signals which are recommended by the EBU for subjective test purposes.

This collection includes programme signals specially chosen to reveal to the listener impairments which have been observed in testing both analogue and digital audio systems. The variety of material gathered should enable appropriate test signals to be found for almost every task. Nevertheless, a system under test which does not reveal any deterioration when using these test signals may still be sensitive to other critical signals not included in this collection.

The test disc contains excerpts of Compact Discs and other recordings specially produced for test purposes. The short items are applicable to the A-B-A-B test procedure as recommended by the CCIR (ITU-R), and the longer excerpts are intended for a more general assessment of the behaviour of audio systems. Copies of the CD can be requested from the EBU.

Details of the test signals
EBU document Tech 3253 gives full details of the test signals. Notes are included on the manner in which the specially recorded sequences were made. The sources of the excerpts from existing CDs are listed and suggested applications are given for the various tracks.

Downloads
The following files have been produced from the tracks of the CD, but to reduce the file size for downloading, they contain only a single take of each recording. Where the original recordings were mono, the BWF files are also mono.

http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm
Radio as you have never experienced it before!

Swedish Radio proudly presents multichannel sound for radio. The clips are mixed in multichannel sound and coded in DTS at 1.5 Mb/s and in most cases also in Dolby Digital at 640 Kb/s. These can be downloaded and listened to in a home theatre system.

Man. I want our Radio spectrum overhauled so that there are surround broadcasts. Scandanavia's government, populace and infrastructure is so much more tech-savvy than us that it's not even funny.

Diablo2K said:
Problem is my copy of PowerDVD is a 2 channel OEM version.

Bugger. DVD Decrypter and VirtualDubMod? I know, that's probably more work than you wanted to go through...anyway MP3s should be able to handle 5.1 just fine if it's encoded that way, although music and such is typically just stereo.

Back