Looking for compact computer.

FenFox

Limp Gawd
Looking to buy a relatively cheap CAD $1000 or under desktop for my dad.
Ideally I don't want or need a tower.
Something small, compact. Windows 11. Just needs the standard ports like USB, HDMI, ethernet port, audio jacks for a headset and speakers, a USB type C port might be good.
He's really only gonna be using it for web browsing, emails and YouTube.

Should be able to get something very cheap. If you have any ideas let me know. I used to look at Intel NUC's years ago for a HTPC setup, but I don't know if they're any good anymore. Prolly overpriced for what he needs.
Attach files

Sure, the 1st link size wise is fine. I notice that it's sold out. Pretty good selection of ports apart from USB C? Windows 10 Pro only. Is it a free upgrade to 11 or can it even handle Windows 11?

How do you know what a good price is for a Mini-PC?

Is this a good value for what you get or nah?

Mini PC
You can get something half that cost that meets your needs if you are willing to have it in a small tower.
No room under the desk? What about a laptop?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can get something half that cost that meets your needs if you are willing to have it in a small tower.
No room under the desk? What about a laptop?
Small tower is fine. It's just gonna go on his desk. Uh, I don't know about a laptop. He has a large monitor that he uses for his current desktop PC. Having to connect a laptop to the monitor etc., and using a crummy laptop keyboard I dunno.

YouTube and browsing really doesn't need much. Not sure if there's any decent Chromeboxes around now? Get one with an intel core series processor and chances are you can force windows on it, if you need to. Have a look at mr chromebox's list of supported chromeboxes if you think you'll go that way.

Otherwise, lots of laptop chip based desktops around. Especially if you don't care about brands...

Here's one if you like AMD https://www.amazon.ca/Beelink-SER5-Desktop-Computer-Support/dp/B0CMQGHP7M

Last edited:
Pretty good selection of ports apart from USB C?
It has usb 3.0, do you really need the port themselve to be C instead of A (i.e. would adapter, A to C cable do ?, there would be like $5 or a hub)

If they are needed I am sure same option would be there, that one seem rich in front ports (only 15w, but does not sound like it is to charge a laptop):
https://www.canadacomputers.com/pro...item_id=254382&sid=4a34p7ia01cmul5ud16vsm6344

Ports(Front)​
(2) USB 2.0 including 1 fast charging
(1) USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 2 (15 W)
(1) Headphone
(1) CTIA Universal Audio Jack
Ports (Rear)​
(2) USB 2.0 including wake from S4/S5
(2) USB 3.1 Gen 1
(2) USB 3.1 Gen 1
(1) Configurable video port
(2) DisplayPort 1.2
(1) Audio input
(1) Audio output
(1) RJ-45 Ethernet

windows 11 pro, wifi, UHD 640 graphic should be supported a while, those canadacomputer refurshibed are nice because they are 1TBssd-32GB of ram, not bad codecs, etc... 1TB-32GB is maybe not needed too, but leave room for option and longevity.

Having to connect a laptop to the monitor etc., and using a crummy laptop keyboard I dunno.
Could use is current keyboard, they pretty much always have 2 USB

YouTube and browsing really doesn't need much. Not sure if there's any decent Chromeboxes around now? Get one with an intel core series processor and chances are you can force windows on it, if you need to. Have a look at mr chromebox's list of supported chromeboxes if you think you'll go that way.

Otherwise, lots of laptop chip based desktops around. Especially if you don't care about brands...

Here's one if you like AMD https://www.amazon.ca/Beelink-SER5-Desktop-Computer-Support/dp/B0CMQGHP7M
No Chromebooks. It has to run Windows 11. My dad is familiar with Windows. He will bitch at me if I get him something else lol.

It has usb 3.0, do you really need the port themselve to be C instead of A (i.e. would adapter, A to C cable do ?, there would be like $5 or a hub)

If they are needed I am sure same option would be there, that one seem rich in front ports (only 15w, but does not sound like it is to charge a laptop):
https://www.canadacomputers.com/pro...item_id=254382&sid=4a34p7ia01cmul5ud16vsm6344

Ports(Front)​
(2) USB 2.0 including 1 fast charging
(1) USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 2 (15 W)
(1) Headphone
(1) CTIA Universal Audio Jack
Ports (Rear)​
(2) USB 2.0 including wake from S4/S5
(2) USB 3.1 Gen 1
(2) USB 3.1 Gen 1
(1) Configurable video port
(2) DisplayPort 1.2
(1) Audio input
(1) Audio output
(1) RJ-45 Ethernet

windows 11 pro, wifi, UHD 640 graphic should be supported a while, those canadacomputer refurshibed are nice because they are 1TBssd-32GB of ram, not bad codecs, etc... 1TB-32GB is maybe not needed too, but leave room for option and longevity.

Could use is current keyboard, they pretty much always have 2 USB
USB 3.0's are good. Prolly at least 4x, but one USB C port would also be good. I don't like dongles/adaptors. I'll take a look though.

The problem is, there's so many of these mini-towers and mini-PC's that I have no idea if I'm getting a good deal or not.

The problem is, there's so many of these mini-towers and mini-PC's that I have no idea if I'm getting a good deal or not.
When competition is strong and something became a bit of a commodity, you will tend to get a good deal, they are not making good margin on those.

Both option are perfectly fine and a personal choice, quicksync can be nice to have, but when you have that much CPU like that AMD mini pc.....

For second life, a SFF like that will not be particularly good to turn into some large volume NAS and a mini-pocket pc can always some plug-it to a tv hidden behind it for emulator-old game.

AMD is really crushing it with their mini PC APUs. I'd say even for a dadPC you want 16 gigs of RAM. Maybe not the bestest APU unless he's a light gamer, then get something with the best integrated graphics.

ASRock has a good reputation for their mini PCs. Asus makes the best-looking one but if you've ever had to deal with the Asus warranty department...MinisForum has a decent long-term rep but they're Chinese if that matters to you.

Right now you can get a fully kitted-out AMD top-flight APU build with 32 gigs/1 terrabyte SSD for $600: https://store.minisforum.com/collec...s/minisforum-um790-pro?variant=43865372786933 <--Seriously, this is a fire sale price. All it needs is a display, a keyboard, and a mouse.

It's the same price for the lower-spec models so there's no reason not to get that one. Needs an OS, but you can get cheap Windows keys that are legit for usually less than $20, if you even want to roll Windows.

NVM it comes with Windows 11 which is still cheaper than the Manjaro version. Get it even if you want to downgrade to Windows 10 or any other OS.

Last edited:
When competition is strong and something became a bit of a commodity, you will tend to get a good deal, they are not making good margin on those.

Both option are perfectly fine and a personal choice, quicksync can be nice to have, but when you have that much CPU like that AMD mini pc.....

For second life, a SFF like that will not be particularly good to turn into some large volume NAS and a mini-pocket pc can always some plug-it to a tv hidden behind it for emulator-old game.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Do you have any CAD recommendations to make for a mini-PC or small tower?

MinisForum
Hmmm well, I'm from Canada, how difficult will it be to deal with MinisForum? Shipping is probably gonna be pricey and if anything happens with the computer, won't it be a pain in the ass for me to deal with? Nice lookin' case though.

Hmmm well, I'm from Canada, how difficult will it be to deal with MinisForum? Shipping is probably gonna be pricey and if anything happens with the computer, won't it be a pain in the ass for me to deal with? Nice lookin' case though.

Shipping from Minisforum to Canada for me was free (rural Manitoba), so I'm thinking as long you're not in the Territories, shipping should be free for you. They have a shipping calculator at their checkout if you wanted to see for yourself.

I don't have any experience with Minisforum, but I like the look of their hardware and reviews I've read/watched about them have been positive.

I purchased this from Minisforum March of last year. Runs 24/7 at home. It was shipped fairly quick, shipping was free. I did notice a Tariff Insurance fee of $35. Canada may not have that, but it's easy to check.
Popped in some sodimms, nvme, and a 4tb ssd, runs Win 11, has USB 4 so I can use an egpu. It's been solid.
Plenty of competitors to choose from in this world of SFF boxes.

Do you have any CAD recommendations to make for a mini-PC or small tower?
My CanadaComputer from above (good list to pick-from on it) was it, that one canadian store still open that I do buy from time to time, newegg.ca seem perfectly fine to me and will have refurbish section of SFF, dell refurbished (dell great customer support in general for a big box), amazon.ca refurbished will have them: https://www.amazon.ca/refurbished-computer/s?k=refurbished+computer

SFF computer like you want made to do almost exactly want you father do power wise are popular in enterprise, well maintain and well resold in batch, turning them into a competitive commodity.

Desktop computer in the last years gained quite a lot of capacity in low watts so going for the small relatively new options, people suggest here is not a bad one at all, as you will never need to put in an internetl HDD in it or that type of option you loose vs a SFF. At those price point there not a need to overthink it too much, the $1000 dollar for a browsing-email-youtube computer was quite the generous price, in general recent enough (to have recent enough quicksync as well) core-i5 or above, SSD, 16gb of ram, wil do

Ok, since I don't know shit about Mini-PC specs, can someone pick me a low-end and high-end Beelink here.

Last edited:
i was going to suggest one of these but the other one i linked was $30 cheaper. if you want beelink https://www.amazon.ca/Beelink-Ryzen-Graphics-Display-Computer/dp/B0B423NMSY get that for a low end one or click on the $800 option if you really want to spend more.
Interesting. My picks were these:
$367.20
$495.20

Edit: Are these easy to open up/clean out and repair or do they have proprietary parts?
And yah, the one you recommended is about $28 cheaper. Is it the same spec as the $367.20 Beelink? Does Trigkey have a good reputation?

Last edited:
Back