• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Looking for *Cheap* upgrade ($80-120)

aerosaaber

n00b
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
28
I was thinking about updating my video card.
I've got a radeon 9000 128mb AGP card now and I'd like something that can handle dual monitors a little bit better. When I play movies and things it gets choppy at times.

My computer
P4 2.8
1GB ram
7200 rpm HD
128mb radeon 9000 AGP

So I'm looking for something a little newer with 256MB on it.
It's gotta be AGP as I have no PCI-e slot.

I prefer new stuff but it can be OEM or retail. I don't need a shiny box to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Please throw out some input so I can get some education on the current options.

I was looking at radeon 9800 pro 256mb agp (by sapphire I think) at new egg IIRC it was about $100.
 
rfwinters77 said:
A tad over your listed budget but:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122212

That card, plus some tweaking has mine running somewhere between
the performance of a 6800 and 6800GT. :D
How tall is that card, those pics make is difficult for me to tell.
And how difficult was the tweaking? Is the heat sink sufficient to tweak this thing? I have a small form factor box, but the AGP slot is right on the side and I've already added a "vent" for my current agp card with a fan on it.

I also found the radeon x800pro 256MB on clearance at ATI for $179. For the money that one seems to be a steal.
 
The Leadtek 6800LE is about standard height (a tad taller due to the
heatsink "clamp" on the top), and about an inch or so longer than
my previous cards.

And the cooling is definitely sufficient. The card weighs a good few pounds
because of how much copper the heatsink is made of.
 
Question: if you run a single monitor, does it still lag a bit when you run movies and other things at the same time? if it does, then you may be spending your money in the wrong place and better processor would do the trick. I know nothing about P4's so yours may be just fine but consider what part you actually need for what you want. if your not playing games, a better vid card isn't gonna do you much good.

 
i say 6800LE, i just ordered one. 129$ not bad..
I've had a 6800NU then a 6800Ultra so hopefully this unlocks at least to the 6800NU which i got to 12/6..
 
For your setup I believe the best card you could get would be the 9800pro. I have one myself similar to your setup and many games ran really well on it. :cool:
 
ricetek said:
i say 6800LE, i just ordered one. 129$ not bad..
I've had a 6800NU then a 6800Ultra so hopefully this unlocks at least to the 6800NU which i got to 12/6..


I got mine to 12/6 @ 376/850.

Someone said I could probably overclock it even more with a volt mod, but
I don't feel like bothering with all that.
 
well price drop $124 for the 6800LE get it!


nice.. ya my 6800Nu was a leadtek too tho hopefully this one is better. I've always had good luck with leadteks not always in the overclocking dept. My 6800U went to 460/1200 no prob tho.
 
ill sell u my 9800 256mb flashed to xt for 110shipped. it would come with a pentium 3 cooler milled out to fit ont he card.
 
I've decided to get the 6800 from newegg and unlock it (as long as it unlocks).
I don't think I could use the board with a P3 cooler on it, there's very little room between the top of my car and the side of my case. (it an icebox or whatever they're called)

but thanks for all the input. I decided I don't really need 2x the memory but a better gpu and whatnot.
 
Back
Top