Looking for cheap case feet - suggestions?

jamsomito

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
3,202
I'm currently modding my case by cutting holes in the bottom of it to add an intake fan. I need some taller feet to improve the airflow, but most of the "good" ones I've seen are $20-30 for a set of four. I'd like to spend as little as possible. The thought occurred to me of buying a wooden dowel of decent size and slicing the feet to height, but I don't think I like the idea of wooden feet on a metal case. Any suggestions?

Also, because I'm putting the fan on the bottom of my case, it's right over top of where my current feet penetrate the bottom for fastening, so I can't have anything protruding through the bottom metal... I was thinking just some double sided mounting tape would do. If anyone has any suggestions here I'd appreciate it too. Thanks!
 
Now THAT'S the price I'm talking about! Thanks, Manny.

I think those specific feet you found look sweet... really cool. I'd be worried they would puncture my poor wood desk though :(. This looks like a great site to get started looking around though.

Also, I can't mount the feet through the bottom of the case so I'd have to chop of the threaded portion and tape them on... maybe there's a better alternative.
 
two sections of 6-8" 2x4, length wise under the front and back of the case :)
 
86, that thought had crossed my mind, but I'm not sure I want to mix wood with a plastic/metal case. I thought about things like painting the caps off of my wife's hair spray bottles and stuff like that, but no 4 of them are all the same!

If my life depended on it, I could weld some metal together, but it wouldn't be pretty, and it would probably break. I don't have the equipment for it though... all my experience was in a 1-semester high school metals course :rolleyes:

I guess I'm looking to buy something, but paying more than a dollar or two per piece seems way overpriced to me for some reason... it seems like they should be able to make a rubber foot for $0.03 IMO.

Does anybody have good ideas for things that may be common to find around the house that would work (besides scrap wood), or another site or two with cheap hardware accessories? Thanks for all the ideas so far... its on the right track.
 
86, that thought had crossed my mind, but I'm not sure I want to mix wood with a plastic/metal case. I thought about things like painting the caps off of my wife's hair spray bottles and stuff like that, but no 4 of them are all the same!

Mix wood and metal/plastic? I don't get it what's the problem? My p180 is fine atop a wooden stand. Caps from hair spray bottles??? Please visualize this for me...
 
86, that thought had crossed my mind, but I'm not sure I want to mix wood with a plastic/metal case. I thought about things like painting the caps off of my wife's hair spray bottles and stuff like that, but no 4 of them are all the same!

If my life depended on it, I could weld some metal together, but it wouldn't be pretty, and it would probably break. I don't have the equipment for it though... all my experience was in a 1-semester high school metals course :rolleyes:

I guess I'm looking to buy something, but paying more than a dollar or two per piece seems way overpriced to me for some reason... it seems like they should be able to make a rubber foot for $0.03 IMO.

Does anybody have good ideas for things that may be common to find around the house that would work (besides scrap wood), or another site or two with cheap hardware accessories? Thanks for all the ideas so far... its on the right track.
im not the best welder either, shop class isnt the best training you can have, but the spikes are very cool
 
Mix wood and metal/plastic? I don't get it what's the problem? My p180 is fine atop a wooden stand. Caps from hair spray bottles??? Please visualize this for me...

I guess I never specified this in the OP, but I'm trying to stay away from the ghetto mod thread with this. I just feel like using wood and painting it, no matter how much varnish you use, it'll still look like wood. Even a cheaper hard wood like oak would dent and ding over time... I'd like something that would stand the test of time (at least a little time anyway). With regards to the bottle caps, they're about 1/2 - 3/4" in diameter and about 3/4" - 1" long... almost exactly the size I'm looking for. The plastic can be easily painted to match the rest of the case, and unless you crack them somehow, they'll maintain their form better.

Idanno, but I guess I'm just not sold on the wood idea. Maybe you can convince me otherwise?

Mod some hockey pucks?
To be completely honest, I'm not making this up, this was the first thought that crossed my mind. I do know somebody with a band saw, so this might work if I can find some. I originally threw the idea away because they're too big in diameter for what I want, but now that I think about it, I have seen people cut them up with band saws before...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Keep 'em coming if you think you have a good idea.
 
I guess I never specified this in the OP, but I'm trying to stay away from the ghetto mod thread with this. I just feel like using wood and painting it, no matter how much varnish you use, it'll still look like wood. Even a cheaper hard wood like oak would dent and ding over time... I'd like something that would stand the test of time (at least a little time anyway). With regards to the bottle caps, they're about 1/2 - 3/4" in diameter and about 3/4" - 1" long... almost exactly the size I'm looking for. The plastic can be easily painted to match the rest of the case, and unless you crack them somehow, they'll maintain their form better.

Idanno, but I guess I'm just not sold on the wood idea. Maybe you can convince me otherwise?

mmmmm I see, what case are you using?
 
hmm... you know that could work. I'd have to rig up some kind of way to bend the metal though...
 
Angle iron from home depot they will cut it to size normally and you can use jb weld on it to attack to your case You would be able to add 4 wheels to it later on ya needed lol using the hole in the middle for a place to hold the axles lol
It wont be a smooth ride though
 
Personally, I think the easiest solution would have been to go to Home Depot (or Lowes, or wherever), buy 4 PVC pipe caps (the slip style), paint them whatever color you wanted, and glue them to the bottom of your case (best way would be a bead of adhesive around the opening, then glue them on so the rounded, closed end was what rested on the table when you're done).

Total cost? $2 or less. :cool:
 
Back
Top