anaxagoris
n00b
- Joined
- Jun 26, 2012
- Messages
- 8
<functional requirements>
Here are some boxes or functions I want to compress:
Firewall/router running pfSense
File Server with cifs/nfs interface (i'll probably migrate to zfs or unraid): will have at least 2 arrays 1 with high fault tolerance for irreplaceable data, 1 with low fault tolerance for replaceable media such as movies.
Asterisk PBX (I run a home side business and do my own PBX, but if it's down I can get by with out it I mainly use it for call recording purposes)
torrent seed box
uPnP media server like ps3MediaServer or MediaTomb
a test environment that includes 4 linux servers minimum that I use for work.
I'll probably want to add or play with some more things as time goes on, those are just the things I do right now.
</functional requirements>
<goals>
Reduce power consumption
Reduce foot print
Enterprise reliability is not a major concern. i don't need five 9s.
I also don't want to break the bank, but since i like my fancy toys I know i'll be dropping some coin.
</goals>
<New Parts I have>
I got a SuperMicro 836 e16 chassis for a deal about 50% off open box, the chassis seems to be in great condition.
I also have about 50 gigs of ddr3 Registered ECC RAM that I got on the cheap from a computer recycling company. mostly 4 gb dimms, some 2 gb.
</New Parts I have>
<what i'm looking for>
I'm looking for a good motherboard and cpu to pair with my chassis.
I want to try and use a supermicro board so I won't have any compatibility issues with the chassis form factor or fan shroud
Possibly an array controller if i don't have an onboard one.
<what i'm looking for>
<what I think I need but is open for discussion>
Since I have the ecc ram i want a Xeon.
Since i want to "future proof" i'm looking at socket 2011 dual socket boards.
something with IPMI because i'm spoiled by playing with this stuff at my job
something with 4 nics because i'll also be using this as a router and supporting 2 internal networks (1 wired that i use for work and then 1 wifi, separate isolated networks)
</what I think I need but is open for discussion>
<what I've been looking at>
<motherboard>
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DR3-LN4F_.cfm
This is nice because of the form factor and the location of the ports seems to be ideal for my chassis, the extra dimm slots and the fact I have a ton of ram, seems to have better availability for fast delivery.
Negative - the onboard sas is not lsi based, supermicro confirmed that the bios will not be able to see any of the drives off the port expander on boot, however once in the OS it should be fine. This means i'll need to use 2 fixed internal 2.5" drives to boot off of, or get an M1015
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DR7-LN4F.cfm
This guy is not only more expensive, but also seems to be special order everywhere I look. LSI based sas controller means I could run my boot drives off backplane and thus the hotswap bays.
</motherboard>
<cpu>
E5 Xeon 2609 2.4ghz 4 core, no ht, no turbo
E5 Xeon 2620 2.0ghz, 6 core, yes ht, 2.5ghz turbo
</cpu>
</what I've been looking at>
<final thoughts>
If you're still reading thank you. I'm not sure if all of this is entirely overkill and my perceptions of reality are skewed thanks to working with high end servers all day long. I'd like to have the best performance/power ratio I could get as I want to cut down the electric bill substantially, yet still have enough power to run everything I want to run and not have performance issues. Maybe I could get by with a single socket ivy bridge e3? Or maybe something entirely different? I'm open to suggestions and discusstion.
</final thoughts>
Here are some boxes or functions I want to compress:
Firewall/router running pfSense
File Server with cifs/nfs interface (i'll probably migrate to zfs or unraid): will have at least 2 arrays 1 with high fault tolerance for irreplaceable data, 1 with low fault tolerance for replaceable media such as movies.
Asterisk PBX (I run a home side business and do my own PBX, but if it's down I can get by with out it I mainly use it for call recording purposes)
torrent seed box
uPnP media server like ps3MediaServer or MediaTomb
a test environment that includes 4 linux servers minimum that I use for work.
I'll probably want to add or play with some more things as time goes on, those are just the things I do right now.
</functional requirements>
<goals>
Reduce power consumption
Reduce foot print
Enterprise reliability is not a major concern. i don't need five 9s.
I also don't want to break the bank, but since i like my fancy toys I know i'll be dropping some coin.
</goals>
<New Parts I have>
I got a SuperMicro 836 e16 chassis for a deal about 50% off open box, the chassis seems to be in great condition.
I also have about 50 gigs of ddr3 Registered ECC RAM that I got on the cheap from a computer recycling company. mostly 4 gb dimms, some 2 gb.
</New Parts I have>
<what i'm looking for>
I'm looking for a good motherboard and cpu to pair with my chassis.
I want to try and use a supermicro board so I won't have any compatibility issues with the chassis form factor or fan shroud
Possibly an array controller if i don't have an onboard one.
<what i'm looking for>
<what I think I need but is open for discussion>
Since I have the ecc ram i want a Xeon.
Since i want to "future proof" i'm looking at socket 2011 dual socket boards.
something with IPMI because i'm spoiled by playing with this stuff at my job
something with 4 nics because i'll also be using this as a router and supporting 2 internal networks (1 wired that i use for work and then 1 wifi, separate isolated networks)
</what I think I need but is open for discussion>
<what I've been looking at>
<motherboard>
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DR3-LN4F_.cfm
This is nice because of the form factor and the location of the ports seems to be ideal for my chassis, the extra dimm slots and the fact I have a ton of ram, seems to have better availability for fast delivery.
Negative - the onboard sas is not lsi based, supermicro confirmed that the bios will not be able to see any of the drives off the port expander on boot, however once in the OS it should be fine. This means i'll need to use 2 fixed internal 2.5" drives to boot off of, or get an M1015
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DR7-LN4F.cfm
This guy is not only more expensive, but also seems to be special order everywhere I look. LSI based sas controller means I could run my boot drives off backplane and thus the hotswap bays.
</motherboard>
<cpu>
E5 Xeon 2609 2.4ghz 4 core, no ht, no turbo
E5 Xeon 2620 2.0ghz, 6 core, yes ht, 2.5ghz turbo
</cpu>
</what I've been looking at>
<final thoughts>
If you're still reading thank you. I'm not sure if all of this is entirely overkill and my perceptions of reality are skewed thanks to working with high end servers all day long. I'd like to have the best performance/power ratio I could get as I want to cut down the electric bill substantially, yet still have enough power to run everything I want to run and not have performance issues. Maybe I could get by with a single socket ivy bridge e3? Or maybe something entirely different? I'm open to suggestions and discusstion.
</final thoughts>
Last edited: