Looking for better Wifi Coverage (New Router) Looking for range experiences

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm looking to increase wifi range and strength in our 1953 house. It's single story 1100sq ft. Back when we were on AT&t DSL several years ago we were using one of the better end of Linksys routers with one antenna. I don't remember the model as it ended up dying but we were able to achieve great speed and signal throughout the house and even outside about 5-8 feet from the outside of the house itself in the front yard.

I would like to be able to achieve that again. Currently if I'm outside I have to be standing at the front door with my phone pointed toward the door to pick up signal. It's also spotty just in the kitchen. I'm using this currently since it came with the Motorola cable modem for free. The previous router I had was built into the modem (Timewarner Leased gateway unit) It was a little better but not much. When we got Timewarner I gave the better (still not as good as the old linksys) netgear open source wifi router to my fiances parents as theirs died and I had no use for one since the gateway.

For inability to run cat lines without being a complete PITA (1953 house) I need something that I can have central location of the house BUT on an outside wall as this is the location of the office. In other words I need something that has a great coverage signal over distance since I can't locate the router in the actual middle of our house.

The front deck is only 3 walls away (passes through a hall then through the front living room wall of the house) The width of the house is probably 34'-40' and the office opens to the hall which has a cased opening directly into the living room. IE I can see the living room tv (which is against the outside garage wall of the house) with the door open. So the router is at one end of the house while the router is at the other.

Let's just say the computer to tv usb converter things that are supposed to show your computer screen on the tv don't connect with the receiver at the tv. That was hooked to the computer 4' from the office door with the door open. So this house either has some serious interference built into the walls or these products just suck that bad. I ended up having to crawl under the house and drill holes into the base plates to run a cat 5 line for hdmi over cat 5e to the tv for my server. This is something I don't want to do again!

So a good strong signal full coverage wireless router is my only option. We had one before so they have to be out there. I just prefer not to do the order and return lottery and get some input from fellow [H] members

Back