Looking for: Best Quality Speaker Setup

Zetherin

Gawd
Joined
Jan 21, 2008
Messages
765
Upon getting my new box (including my Auzentech Prelude), I've been craving high quality sound. While the system I currently have, the overly popular Logitech 5500's, are good for all around gaming and movie watching, I've decided I want to take this to a new level. I'm not opposed to buying individual pieces if it isn't that troublesome.

Budget: $800
Seeking: High quality speaker setup for computer
Specs, if needed:

Q9450 @ 2.66
4GB PC6400
280GTX
Auzentech Prelude
1000W Silverstone


Thank you for any suggestions you may realize.
 
Do you have a seperate budget set aside for the amplifier/receiver, or do you own one already? An amp can take a good bite out of that $800 budget.

Personally i recommend you take your sweet time researching the speakers, even audition some if you can, then wait for a good liquidation deal to pop up (liquidation would mean a 40-75% discount off the regular price).

Here's a receiver to research: The Onkyo TX-SR605...just a few months ago you couldn't touch one for less than $400, but they've since been discontinued, hence the refurbs popping up. Unlike computer hardware refurbs, audio refurbs are highly desired and accepted by the audio community. Not to mention the TX-SR605 has most of the latest features a tech-geek would want (it isn't pass-thru HDMI either, it's the real deal).
 
I'd recommend the Panasonic XR-55/57 line of receivers. They are just fantastic, from a sound and usability standpoint, and should set you back somewhere between $200-250, I believe. Also, I'm not recommending these speakers (since I haven't heard them) but the hearsay is that the Onix X-CS Encore is a very fine set of speakers for its price point ($320). It was on sale for 60% of that price earlier, but unfortunately, the sale is over. I'd recommend you read up on them and look for opinions from people that have heard them.
 
Sherwood 6500 Receiver for $120 and these speakers

http://av123.com/index.php

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-392

If I had $800 this is what I would get. The ELT monitors are slayers for real. That sub is a killer. There are a few other choice for subs but the speakers should be ELTs. Nothing else out matches them for do-everything-ness in the under $500 monitor category.

The Sherwood 6500 is a new, audio focused receiver. It is cheap to buy but the build quality and sound is better than any receiver I have had. This includes the Onkyo 805, Pioneer 515-K and Yamaha 363. They were all good but I like the Sherwood best.
 
It was on sale for 60% of that price earlier, but unfortunately, the sale is over. I'd recommend you read up on them and look for opinions from people that have heard them.

Of course if price is a big issue AFAIK they're still trying to practically give away their remaining old stock of X-CS originals at $69 ea.

The difference between original and encore would not be enough to move me to pay $100+ more per unit.
 
Ah, I did not see the H-100 for that price. Yes I would go with that sub over the 10" HSU.

The ELT Monitors are better than the encores for do-everything duty. They are the latest and greatest budget buy from av123. That means something in the audio world believe me. MLS (av123 owner and spiritual leader lol) lives to knock people out with his products.
 
I have the Onkyo TX-SR605 ordered and shipping. Watch out for ecost, they're freaking idiots, just like (nearly) every web retail outfit.
 
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Subwoofer: BIC Acoustech H-100
Receiver: Sherwood 6500/ Panasonic XR-55/57 line/ Onkyo TX-SR605 (I'll narrow this down through extended research, but any other suggestions would be helpful)
Speakers: The speakers that were suggested (the ELT's) seem to be a bit out of my price range. With a budget of about $1000 for the sub, receiver, and speakers, I may not be able to afford that right now. However, can someone instruct me on which pieces to buy? I assume I need 4 of these monitors ($299 each) to do 5.1 surround, or am I wrong?


What it comes down to is: Would it be in my better interest to wait when I have more money and spring for these beauties? And more importantly, are they really worth the very high price tag?

I'm considering these suggestions, though I don't want to pay for shit. If they aren't going to sound better than these Logi5500's, it's a waste; I'd rather wait and spring for something of much better quality.

Thanks again, all.
 
they will wax, slice dice and poop all over the 5500s.

good enough?

you can find out more if you search the av123 forums. there is a classified section there too.

http://av123forum.com/
 
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
What it comes down to is: Would it be in my better interest to wait when I have more money and spring for these beauties? And more importantly, are they really worth the very high price tag?

I'm considering these suggestions, though I don't want to pay for shit. If they aren't going to sound better than these Logi5500's, it's a waste; I'd rather wait and spring for something of much better quality.

Thanks again, all.

Comparing good bookshelves to Logitech Z5500's is like comparing a high-end graphics card to integrated graphics. There's just no comparison. Also, yes, you need 4 speakers (2 pairs) to do 5.1. You also need a center. But, what you can do is start with 2.1 and expand from there as you go.
 
I just setup a Denon 1709 Reciever and Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers. Let me tell you that I'm amazed these speakers sound as good as they do for $600. I did tons of research for months and came to the conclusion that after reading tons of reviews that these speakers were hard to beat at that price point. They are the "cream of the crop" when it comes to sub $1000 speaker packages.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/satellite/energy-take-classic-review
 
It says those Energy speakers are easy to overdrive in the cons list. That's not the case with the Energy RC-Mini. They are very good little speakers and can handle a fair amount of power (150w). They have a really nice black piano finish to choose from too. Just get 2 for now because they cost more than the ones listed above and expand later to 5.1. Should be able to get 2 for under $400.00 or less. They make a center channel in the same series which is also quite small. RC means Reference Connoisseur series.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-line.php?id=318
 
It says those Energy speakers are easy to overdrive in the cons list. That's not the case with the Energy RC-Mini. They are very good little speakers and can handle a fair amount of power (150w). They have a really nice black piano finish to choose from too. Just get 2 for now because they cost more than the ones listed above and expand later to 5.1. Should be able to get 2 for under $400.00 or less. They make a center channel in the same series which is also quite small. RC means Reference Connoisseur series.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-line.php?id=318

I agree, these are definately a great set of speakers, You can get them for around $225.

Other than that, I would suggest checking out the Paradigm atom monitors.
 
I agree, these are definately a great set of speakers, You can get them for around $225.

Really, that low of a price? Cripes, up here in Canada they are $500.00 CAD and lowest I have seen them on sale for is $400.00 CAD. I knew they would cost less in the U.S. but not that much less. And they are a Canadian speaker too! We get butt raped on audio equipment prices even though our dollar is near par with yours. I had to buy the Onkyo SR505 reciever because the 605 was a bit out of my price range but if I was in the U.S. I would have been able to afford owning one. SR505 has passthrough HDMI and bit less power but otherwise they are the same. I use HD LCD projector so the HDMI 1.3 on the SR605 would be useless to me anyway.

Yea, Paradigm Atom's are very good but bigger than RC-Mini's.
 
If you are getting two good speakers the av123 ELT monitors $300 + shipping are the best out there. I have heard all of the small Energy, Paradigm, Totem, Klipsch, Tannoy, RBH, Regga, etc and they are good for the money true. Just not as good as a MLS creation.

Energy was the choice a few years ago but they have fallen behind imo.

AV123 owns bang for the buck audio atm. I am firm on that.
 
If you are getting two good speakers the av123 ELT monitors $300 + shipping are the best out there. I have heard all of the small Energy, Paradigm, Totem, Klipsch, Tannoy, RBH, Regga, etc and they are good for the money true. Just not as good as a MLS creation.

Energy was the choice a few years ago but they have fallen behind imo.

AV123 owns bang for the buck audio atm. I am firm on that.

I'm assuming even 2 of these ELT's will blow my whole shitty Logi5500's out of the water.

I really wish I could hear these in person before purchasing.
 
Energy was the choice a few years ago but they have fallen behind imo.

But have you seriously listened to the RC-Mini? Don't compare them to the Energy C series because they are not the same thing at all. We are talking about a speaker with a kevlar mid-range driver and not silk polymer or something like that. I'm not doubting what you say but just want to make sure you are not comparing the cheaper C series to your choice. Being in Canada I have never heard of or seen the speakers you say for sale up here so can't even audition them. I would never buy a speaker that I can't hear before purchase because what one person likes another may not. We all hear differently and have varying tastes so take that into consideration. For all we know spaceman may be tone deaf. ;)

@Zetherin, I would seriously stick to only speakers you can hear for yourself before purchase. You should be able to find a store easy enough that sells Paradigm and Energy so at least go give the Energy RC-Mini and Paradigm Atom a listen to.

I made that mistake with my Sennheiser HD595 headphones. I bought based on user opinions without hearing them and while they are decent they are not really the kind of sound I prefer. Now I want to lighten my wallet some more and get better headphones when I should have auditioned various headphones first and then bought them. Problem was that no stores near me sold HD595 and they don't even let you audition headphones anymore because it is unhygienic. You don't have that problem with speakers though so go listen to them first and do not buy speakers you can't audition.
 
I'm looking for a speaker system for my computer as well and before reading this thread I was firm on getting the new computer speakers from Axiom

They are getting fantastic reviews, but they are 2.1.

Although 5.1 is tempting, I didn't want the Z5500 for some reason. But now I'm interested in this Energy Classic system. Is that meant for computers as well or just home theater ?
 
Really, that low of a price? Cripes, up here in Canada they are $500.00 CAD and lowest I have seen them on sale for is $400.00 CAD.

Crap, I misread the futureshop tag, its $225 per speaker, BUT, I have seen them go for $299 per pair on sale (Futureshop, early january, I was about to pick a pair, but...)
 
Yea, those RC-Mini speakers are sold individually and not in pairs. That's good because if one gets damaged you can just go buy one more instead of having to fork out for another pair. I've only ever seen them that cheap if you are buying a surround system. Maybe boxing day they would be that low but not usually so you should have bought them then because you won't see that price again until next boxing day maybe. Of course in the U.S. I bet they are only $300.00 to $350.00.
 
I'm looking for a speaker system for my computer as well and before reading this thread I was firm on getting the new computer speakers from Axiom

They are getting fantastic reviews, but they are 2.1.

Although 5.1 is tempting, I didn't want the Z5500 for some reason. But now I'm interested in this Energy Classic system. Is that meant for computers as well or just home theater ?

The sub is self powered but you would need a receiver for the satellites. Satellites don't draw much power so you don't need a powerful amp. 30-60w per channel would suffice. Any satellite+sub combo is good for computer use so long as you have an amp for them but stick to small satellites because they work much better for near field listening than bigger speakers.
 
The sub is self powered but you would need a receiver for the satellites. Satellites don't draw much power so you don't need a powerful amp. 30-60w per channel would suffice.

Ok, let me get this straight.

I'd need
A.) Receiver
B.) Sub
C.) Amp (Noone has recommended any of these yet, are they required?)
D.) Speakers

Everything would be plugged into the receiver, and then I'd simply use some plug connecting the computer to the receiver?
 
Best way is to use digital out on soundcard to a receiver with digital in and you want a soundcard that is meant for surround sound, DTS etc. I only use 2.1 though so my setup is easy to do over digital or analog from a computer. I have 2 computers and both feeding into 2 amps on 2 separate speaker systems and both with analog or digital options, well they do share the sub.

You don't need an amp because the receiver has 5 or 7 channel amp, pre-amp and radio tuner in the one box. Yes, you just need a soundcard with optical or coax digital out, most have that now, including the soundcards built into motherboards. The receiver has digital in, usually more than one too so you can hook up more than one device to the receiver digitally.
 
Even though I would like a 5.1 system, I feel more secure buying something that's specially made for computer use. That's why I think I'll stick with my first choice, the Axiom 2.1 computer speakers for $581 USD with a sub and an amp.
 
Sure, if that is what you are comfortable with but it looks like the sub they give you is a bit on the small side so probably doesn't have great bottom end.
 
Ok, let me get this straight.

I'd need
A.) Receiver
B.) Sub
C.) Amp (Noone has recommended any of these yet, are they required?)
D.) Speakers

Everything would be plugged into the receiver, and then I'd simply use some plug connecting the computer to the receiver?

Not quite. You can get a receiver OR a dedicated amp. Personally, if you're going for a small setup like 2.1, you could get a nice, compact amplifier like the Sonic Impact T-Amp Gen 2

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-958&CFID=7886478&CFTOKEN=21692982

I use these for my 2.0 bookshelves and it works great. A receiver is good for large setups like 5.1 or 7.1 and/or for hooking up a bunch of peripherals like gaming consoles and DVD players all to one source.
 
Even though I would like a 5.1 system, I feel more secure buying something that's specially made for computer use. That's why I think I'll stick with my first choice, the Axiom 2.1 computer speakers for $581 USD with a sub and an amp.

Why do you feel more secure buying only speakers that say computer?

I mean, the only difference with most computer speakers is that they sound shittier and the out in the back is different (in order to hook up to a computer with ease), no?
 
Best way is to use digital out on soundcard to a receiver with digital in and you want a soundcard that is meant for surround sound, DTS etc. I only use 2.1 though so my setup is easy to do over digital or analog from a computer. I have 2 computers and both feeding into 2 amps on 2 separate speaker systems and both with analog or digital options, well they do share the sub.

You don't need an amp because the receiver has 5 or 7 channel amp, pre-amp and radio tuner in the one box. Yes, you just need a soundcard with optical or coax digital out, most have that now, including the soundcards built into motherboards. The receiver has digital in, usually more than one too so you can hook up more than one device to the receiver digitally.

I have the soundcard covered (I noted earlier I have the Auzentech Prelude)

So, I don't need a seperate amp - I just need a receiver that has an integrated amp?
The 3 pieces I need are:
A.) Receiver with integrated anp
B.) Sub
C.) Speakers

Correct?
 
Do those T-Amps really sound ok?

Sounds great to me. Certainly better than the Klipsch PC speakers I upgraded from. I've never tried any other amps or receivers so I can't say how good it sounds in comparison to anything else.
 
Onkyo makes a ClassD integrated amp that is supposed to have sound rivaling the likes of Audiolab 8000A ClassA amp but it costs a bit more than those T-Amps. Use to be ClassD amps were very efficient but sounded like crap, I guess things have changed. ClassD amps switch on/off as power is required and ClassA amps don't, that's why ClassD is more efficient and ClassA run hot. The thing is the ClassD would have to switch on/off very fast to rival a ClassA amp. I'm sure there is more to it than that but that is the basic differnece between ClassA and ClassD. Those T-Amps are some sort of hybrid ClassD design so not sure how they work exactly.

I'm sure someone will soon correct me if I am wrong about the difference.
 
With a budget of $800 here is what I would do.

Purchase a used Cambridge Audio 540a which can be had for about $300 (check audiogon). This is an integrated amplifier. You said you had a soundcard right? Depending on which one you should or shouldn't buy an external USB DAC.

Purchase whatever speakers and sub you want but I agree with spaceman, ELT525 Monitors are beautiful and sound amazing near field. I have a pair right now I'm listening to. For a sub I have an x-sub but there are better offerings at the moment so I'll let someone else handle that one.
 
With a budget of $800 here is what I would do.

Purchase a used Cambridge Audio 540a which can be had for about $300 (check audiogon). This is an integrated amplifier. You said you had a soundcard right? Depending on which one you should or shouldn't buy an external USB DAC.

Purchase whatever speakers and sub you want but I agree with spaceman, ELT525 Monitors are beautiful and sound amazing near field. I have a pair right now I'm listening to. For a sub I have an x-sub but there are better offerings at the moment so I'll let someone else handle that one.

Again, my soundcard is the Auzentech Prelude.

What exactly is a USB DAC?

As an update, I'm leaning more to just saving up and buying 4 of those ELT's. In other words, the $800 budget may be out the window.

Also, for 5.1 surround, I would need 1 center speaker and 4 of those monitors? Or, would I need 2 of the $699 'Tower Pairs' to accompany 2 of the monitors and the center?
 
A USB DAC is basically an external USB soundcard. Converts digital signal to analog. You don't have to use a USB DAC as you could use the digital out on your Prelude to feed any DAC so you can buy one that doesn't have USB too.
 
I have the soundcard covered (I noted earlier I have the Auzentech Prelude)

So, I don't need a seperate amp - I just need a receiver that has an integrated amp?
The 3 pieces I need are:
A.) Receiver with integrated anp
B.) Sub
C.) Speakers

Correct?

Which is any receiver that I've ever seen.
 
Back
Top