Looking for AT&T residential customers with resold/3rd party ISPs

AreEss

2[H]4U
Hey all. Subject says most of it. I've discovered something rather, well. Okay, fine, if I'm right, we're talking at least half a dozen Federal statutes and that's without actually searching.

I'm specifically looking for folks with resold ADSL/ADSL+ in the Midwest region (OH/MI/IL/IA) who are seeing strange or inconsistent problems specifically with BitTorrent traffic, or simply what seems to be hard caps at or around 30K/s, or any number. This would be most helpful if you also have a work VPN you can access, and can get your network administrator to let you perform testing with a legitimate Torrent for several minutes.

The observed behavior here has been that BitTorrent traffic, both encrypted and unencrypted, is being capped at 30K/sec download. Can't test upload due to a line problem they still refuse to even investigate. Same torrent, same peers, inside a VPN connection would max out the line within 30 seconds. (Insurgency mod for HL2.) I've confirmed verbally and visually with my ISP that no QoS is configured at the routers, and their lone PacketShaper was moved to a remote location. (If traffic was passing through it, my speeds would be worse than dialup for everything.)

Comcast part deux? Boy, don't we all wish - this is worse. This is occuring on resold DSL lines. This is where AT&T bundles various DSL circuits into a single ATM transport up to the ISP, who actually carries all the IP traffic. Which is why I'm looking for other folks who are seeing the same behavior. I have a suspicion as to what exactly is going on, but would like to get confirmation from others before taking a metal bat to AT&T's face over the repeated denials.

Innit tho?
I've gotten confirmation from two other people that their Torrent traffic is being throttled to exactly 30KB/sec too, and neither of them uses my ISP, but both are AT&T customers. I also have a third who is an AT&T subscriber, with the "Elite" DSL package, who is NOT seeing their Torrents capped.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we've just witnessed AT&T kneecapping DSL resellers.

Don't mean to bother, but could you explain what's happening more specifically?

edit: I see what's going on.

Cool...better quality internet for the rest of us to enjoy! :cool:

who says people are using it illegally, that is pretty selfish comment to make, they pay for their service, why shouldn't they get what they pay for, same as you.

why should they be punished because ISP are over selling bandwidth and dont want to upgrade their system to handle what THEY sold.

I have an AT&T ADSL "Elite" connection and when I last used a BitTorrent noticed no cap on my end. I guess that's at least one good reason to have AT&T over the shitty local cable company where I live.

Bump.. looks like they added some more areas, and lo and behold, the FCC apparently thinks they don't regulate what they just did with Comcast. Or telephone companies period according to the email I got. Also hearing reports of it spreading; key symptom found in victimized areas? High choke and loss in online games, ESPECIALLY TF2 and WoW.

EDIT: Oh, and Stonecat? You are welcome to blow me. One, see above. Two, see hybridized.org and insmod.net. I guess I must be a total thief, since I bought my hybridized subscription (and so glad I did now) and they give away Insurgency, amirite?

Back