Looking for an excellent 23" Gaming Monitor

TheRaoh

n00b
I'm an illiterate when it comes to these things, so please help me out.

I need a good 23" monitor for gaming, it must have the following:

-Excellent Colors and Image Quality (Must be FullHD too)
-Excellent response time and very low input lag
-Excellent Viewing Angles
-Under $250

Preferable features:

- Built-in speakers.

I have a few concerns, some people say this technology "IPS" causes some weird glows on the edges of the screen, true or not?

The second concern is I've heard some say that 1080P won't look good on a 23" Monitor, true or not?

Eager for your responses.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of Asus MX239H? Will 1080P look good in it? (I understand this is a very dumb question, but I'm ignorant. :p )

Not sure what type of gaming you do, but have you considered 120Hz monitors?

You can pick up a ASUS VG248QE 24-Inch 144Hz monitor for exactly $250 on amazon. The color quality may not be up to IPS standards, but i have used both and the clarity of gaming at 120Hz + Lightboost (to me atleast) easily makes up for having slightly worse colors than an IPS screen. I was amazed at how much of a difference clarity makes in overall image quality, your colors can be perfect, but when its a blur fest every time you move the mouse it doesn't really matter.

Also to answer your question, you seem very concerned about 1080 on 23 / 24" screens. Generally 24" is considered the max for 1080, Larger than that and things start to get pixelated if you are too close to the screen. Personally i have used 27" / 24" and 21" 1080 monitors. To me 24" and below look very good were as my 27" is getting a bit large for 1080. To be honest though, you don't have any other options for 23 / 24" screens, its either 1080 or move up to a 27" 1440 monitor.

Last edited:
Not sure what type of gaming you do, but have you considered 120Hz monitors?

You can pick up a ASUS VG248QE 24-Inch 144Hz monitor for exactly $250 on amazon. The color quality may not be up to IPS standards, but i have used both and the clarity of gaming at 120Hz + Lightboost (to me atleast) easily makes up for having slightly worse colors than an IPS screen. I was amazed at how much of a difference clarity makes in overall image quality, your colors can be perfect, but when its a blur fest every time you move the mouse it doesn't really matter.

Also to answer your question, you seem very concerned about 1080 on 23 / 24" screens. Generally 24" is considered the max for 1080, Larger than that and things start to get pixelated if you are too close to the screen. Personally i have used 27" / 24" and 21" 1080 monitors. To me 24" and below look very good were as my 27" is getting a bit large for 1080. To be honest though, you don't have any other options for 23 / 24" screens, its either 1080 or move up to a 27" 1440 monitor.
I plan on using it for Console Gaming, so I don't think 120hz will do me any good, would it?

Thanks for the info about 1080P, I thought it was the opposite (Someone told my 1080P on "23 would look ugly).

It looks like the Asus MX239H is not available in my country... Any other monitor recommendations based on the requirements I listed in the first post?

ASUS VG248QE for pc

120hz will be useless on consoles.. consoles never push that many frames.

What country are you in?

If outside the US, check out prices on the Eizo 2333, as it may be a bit cheaper in certain countries. It'd probably be around 290 Euros though if in the UK ... or $380-$400 in the US.

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/foris/fs2333/

If in the US, you could alternatively consider a refurb 2332 direct from Eizo for about $180. I don't think that version has a height adjustable stand though.

Last edited:
^ Eizo 2333 costs about $666 where I live (And that's from its official distributor!!) :eek:

^ Eizo 2333 costs about $666 where I live (And that's from its official distributor!!) :eek:

Gah, that's insane. You checked the Eizo Foris 2333, right? That price almost seems like it should be a typo or error from the company. I guess depending on where you are, you could order it from Fnatic and maybe have it shipped, although it depends if they even ship to your country.

Gah, that's insane. You checked the Eizo Foris 2333, right? That price almost seems like it should be a typo or error from the company. I guess depending on where you are, you could order it from Fnatic and maybe have it shipped, although it depends if they even ship to your country.

Having it shipped will probably make the price the same anyway, and can't really afford anything more than $250 (I'm from Saudi Arabia by the way)

I plan on using it for Console Gaming, so I don't think 120hz will do me any good, would it?

Thanks for the info about 1080P, I thought it was the opposite (Someone told my 1080P on "23 would look ugly).

It looks like the Asus MX239H is not available in my country... Any other monitor recommendations based on the requirements I listed in the first post?

If you're using it for consoles you want it to be 1080p, consoles don't output anything higher than that and it would actually be much uglier if you had a higher resolution monitor because it would be doing scaling.

Back