Looking for an easy to use and cost effective back up system

Ayoralyn

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone!

As the title says, I'm looking for a fairly easy to use and cost effective way to store data.

I have a lot of videos for my YouTube channel, and have so far been backing them up on external harddrives. (Specifically the Toshiba Canvio Basics 4TB). I bought 2 back in the day (One for raw footage, and one for the edited footage).

I'm at the limit now with the first one, and got to thinking, if there's a better way to do this.

I'm not really looking for anything overly complicated. At the moment, I just plug in the harddrive, copy, and back to business. I fully realise that this might just be the best and easiest way to do it. But maybe one of you have a much better and simpler solution (One that doesn't require some monthly subscription somewhere to a cloud service).

You can sync directories to a plugged external USB harddrive or a pre-made NAS a la Synology like those you will see offered in NAS section of newegg type website:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/386344189721?epid=4026724686&hash=item59f3e87f19:g:64gAAOSwRixla7OX

What OS do you use, MacOS, Linus, Windows will offer different automatic backup tools out of the box, while there a vast array of third party option.

I did use in the past, one of the opensource folder sync software than can do incremental copy (only what new or changed from a source is copied to the destination, you can copy only (never delete stuff on the destination because they were deleted locally) or you can sync them if you want local deleted file to also get deleted on the external drives, etc...)

https://freefilesync.org/tutorials.php

You can save a task, in schedule it in windows to run at any given time or event (or make you a keyboard/taskbar shortcut to make manually the backup when needed):
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=schedule-batch-jobs

You can keep the harddrive plugged

Last edited:
You can sync directory to a plugged external USB harddrive or a pre-made NAS a la Synology like those you will see offered in NAS section of newegg type website:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/386344189721?epid=4026724686&hash=item59f3e87f19:g:64gAAOSwRixla7OX

What OS do you use, MacOS, Linus, Windows will offer different automatic backup tools out of the box, while there a vast array of third party option.

I did use in the past, one of the opensource folder sync software than can do incremental copy (only what new or changed from a source is copied to the destination, you can copy only (never delete stuff on the destination because they were deleted locally), you can sync, etc...)

https://freefilesync.org/tutorials.php

You can save a task, in schedule it in windows to run at any given time or event (or make you a keyboard/taskbar shortcut to make manually the backup when needed):
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=schedule-batch-jobs

You can keep the harddrive plugged
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm on Windows 11 at the moment. I do like the idea of keeping the harddrives plugged in, and just syncing it automatically to the backup drive straight away. I'll definitely look into that.

I did consider, and I've had a NAS previously. I love the idea of having it, and just buying internal harddrives and hotswapping them. Maybe I just never set it up right, but I just never found it super easy to use the NAS. I did have a QNAP though. I don't know if there'd be a big difference between those and Synology for instance.

you probably really do not need hotswap capability from your description, nothing would happen if you need to reboot the device, it is not in continous operation like a critical company server, bank, web service, etc...

To keep things really simple you can expose the NAS drives on the network via old SMB service.

Then from your backup program, it will be a drive destination like an external usb.

Was it, doing something like this that didn't work for you:
https://www.qnap.com/en-in/how-to/faq/article/how-to-set-up-shared-folder-on-qnap-nas

Not being visible on your machine (with both device on the same network firewall wise ?)

NAS for the win. I've had several over the years. Just set and forget really. QNAP or Synology? It's like Ford or GM, not much in it.

A two bay SOHO NAS in RAID1 with two 8TBs in it...

Now that 14TB, 18TB are among the cheapest option that exist (at $0.014 the TB) and not that they are many big name brand bad drive when you go at those size they tend to be always serious, it make for someone starting new with "reasonable" need the NAS option easier than ever, no need to wait for deals on 4TB and stacking them, expending SATA capability over time.

1 drive now, maybe 2 for very large user if it is for backuping something that will be on your machine or having 2 version (not sure if raid is better than having both be single drive and mirroring them with a software solution instead ?), 2x14 or 2x18 would do for a lot of people need.

That fit easily on the cheapest NAS or regular computer case-psu cable you already have- sata cable and port your already have even on a mATX board.

That said if the usage would be only to always use it from always the same computer, will not run automated action on the data with your computer close, never from the Internet, ethernet nas would just be slower than an simple external USB box no ?

You would get the synology Apps to do stuff for you in a easy way I guess, but reading the description of the op (we are talking drive usually not powered or plugged which suggest there is no case of a second user) what would be the NAS advantage over the external USB solution ?

NAS for the win. I've had several over the years. Just set and forget really. QNAP or Synology? It's like Ford or GM, not much in it.

I have seen some with front panel USB3 ports, those can be used for ingestion, correct? If you only have gigabit ethernet, the initial copying of the data will be limited to 110MB/s vs the actual speed of the hard drive, some of mine can do almost 250MB/s..

I have seen some with front panel USB3 ports, those can be used for ingestion, correct? If you only have gigabit ethernet, the initial copying of the data will be limited to 110MB/s vs the actual speed of the hard drive, some of mine can do almost 250MB/s..
We are talking ease of day to day backup, not speed. Once you have stuff copied then its incremental. You just need to keep the data safe and with redundancy somewhere accesible.

you probably really do not need hotswap capability from your description, nothing would happen if you need to reboot the device, it is not in continous operation like a critical company server, bank, web service, etc...

To keep things really simple you can expose the NAS drives on the network via old SMB service.

Then from your backup program, it will be a drive destination like an external usb.

Was it, doing something like this that didn't work for you:
https://www.qnap.com/en-in/how-to/faq/article/how-to-set-up-shared-folder-on-qnap-nas

Not being visible on your machine (with both device on the same network firewall wise ?)

I don't quite remember anymore what the issues exactly was. It was a long time ago. I ended up selling it, since one of the bays also died unfortunately, and QNAP quoted me a price that was almost the price of a new one.

My NAS wouldn't necessarily need hotswap capabilities, no. If it was a 1-bay, then I'd need, since I store different files on different harddrives. So if one dies, I have the data on another, and vice versa. A 2-bay NAS would do fine though, and the drives would just be replaced whenever they're full.

Yeah, I really love to have a NAS. It is however also quite the investment here and now. The harddrive prices here are not that different comparing internal vs. external.

The geek in me loves the idea of a NAS. I could of course also use it for other things then just backup. But I'd like to keep my backup drives separate from other services I might run. And then I fear it's going to be even more expensive. The cheapest NAS I can buy here, form new, will cost around 160 USD, converted from danish crowns. Same for a single 8TB harddrive. And I'd need 2. And not that I have to, but say I wanted to get what data I already had stored there as well, I'd need 4, or buy some larger ones, since I already have 8TB worth of data.

How many devices to you have that need access to your data?

What type of back-up do you use?

How many devices to you have that need access to your data?

What type of back-up do you use?
Just my own PC needs the access. At least for now.

I'm uncertain as to what you mean by what type of back up I use. I just copy the files manually at the moment at random intervals whenever I have a lot to copy. It's not done automatically at the moment, as they're on external harddrives I don't have hooked up all the time.

Just my own PC needs the access. At least for now.

I'm uncertain as to what you mean by what type of back up I use. I just copy the files manually at the moment at random intervals whenever I have a lot to copy. It's not done automatically at the moment, as they're on external harddrives I don't have hooked up all the time.
Ideally you want a back-up copy on a separate media immediately after you create and/or change a file you don't want to lose on your computer. If your computer drive dies before you back-up files you might lose the latest version.

If your only dealing with one computer then adding an additional drive and setting it up in a RAID configuration to automatically back-up files could be an option.

Last edited:
My NAS wouldn't necessarily need hotswap capabilities, no. If it was a 1-bay, then I'd need, since I store different files on different harddrives. So if one dies, I have the data on another, and vice versa. A 2-bay NAS would do fine though, and the drives would just be replaced whenever they're full.
Maybe you do not mean hotswap capatbilites in the usual term and just mean swap capabilities, hot swap is about being able to change a drive for a new one without even having to reboot the OS, let alone the machine.

In your case, closing the NAS, changing the drive, opening the NAS again should not be an issue, hotswap is for server-datacenter type of usage.
Hot swap, hot swappable, or hot swapping is the process of replacing or attaching computer components into the running system without the need to pause, power off, or reboot the entire system. Industrial deployments reap the benefits of hot swap ability to simplify system configuration changes or reduce maintenance time during the reparation of computer components.

I am almost certain you do not need or even want hotswap capabilities.

Ideally you want a back-up copy on a separate media immediately after you create and/or change a file you don't want to lose on your computer. If your computer drive dies before you back-up files you might lose the latest version.

If your only dealing with one computer then adding an additional drive and setting it up in a RAID configuration to automatically back-up files could be an option.

It is certainly an option to just have them inside my case as well. I don't know why necessarily, but it just sounds easier to me to have it separate/externally. But I'll definitely take it into consideration as well.

Maybe you do not mean hotswap capatbilites in the usual term and just mean swap capabilities, hot swap is about being able to change a drive for a new one without even having to reboot the OS, let alone the machine.

In your case, closing the NAS, changing the drive, opening the NAS again should not be an issue, hotswap is for server-datacenter type of usage.
Hot swap, hot swappable, or hot swapping is the process of replacing or attaching computer components into the running system without the need to pause, power off, or reboot the entire system. Industrial deployments reap the benefits of hot swap ability to simplify system configuration changes or reduce maintenance time during the reparation of computer components.

I am almost certain you do not need or even want hotswap capabilities.

You are correct, sir! I didn't know there was a difference between the two. No, I don't need hotswap capabilities. Just to be able to easily swap out the harddrives. If I do end up getting a NAS, I more then likely wouldn't even have it running 24/7 anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm on Windows 11 at the moment. I do like the idea of keeping the harddrives plugged in, and just syncing it automatically to the backup drive straight away. I'll definitely look into that.

I did consider, and I've had a NAS previously. I love the idea of having it, and just buying internal harddrives and hotswapping them. Maybe I just never set it up right, but I just never found it super easy to use the NAS. I did have a QNAP though. I don't know if there'd be a big difference between those and Synology for instance.
Do you like to tinker? QNAP. Do you want to set it and forget it ala the Apple approach? Synology.

If I do end up getting a NAS, I more then likely wouldn't even have it running 24/7 anyway.
I think your analysis that you do not need a NAS would be in the right direction here, if as you say it is really just for backup and you will always access it from a currently running and same computer, external USB drive are perfectly fine for that, you remove all possible issues and cost added from a NAS, you have USB 3 5bits/s speed instead of 1gb/s network if they have enough cache and file small enough to ever matter.

NAS would allow to add future use to it and if it is low power it can be nice to have a 24/24 running computer you are not actively ever working on for background task (long or scheduled), you can add media server and other capability to it, etc... And you can buy a premade solution a la Synology too keep things extremelly simple (maybe even more simple that even automating yourself the backup on external usb drive, they will have application and wizard for you to use)

But if you really just want to manually back-up file (by hands or with one of the https://freefilesync.org/tutorials.php) external USB drive will do that quite fine, you can create a single big drive with them would you want, have them be mirrored to each other, etc...

Backups = 3-2-1 rule. Just using a single NAS, is not really a backup if that is the only copy of the data. Just having USB drives connected to your main computer all the time, is not a backup. Your main PC gets infected, or your power supply spikes and fries the connected drives...

How much do you care about this data?

1703116425125.png

Back