Looking for amp for 2channel

LeninGHOLA

Vladimir Hayt
I'm planning on setting up a 2.1 system with a pair of Behringer B2031P's and haven't looked at amps in a couple years. I'm looking for something sub-$150, drives 60+ watts into 4ohm, clean, and has RCA line ins and outs. Only 2ch needed.

I already have the sub I want, but other opinions for bookshelves are welcome.

thats going to be tough without going used...even then...im assuming you want an integrated amp?
is there an absolute necessary reason to need the line outs?
and do you want line outs or pre outs?

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8255B-TX-8255-Stereo-Receiver/dp/tech-data/B001AMSPQI/ref=de_a_smtd
line outs, but not pre outs.
also i checked the manual and it supports 90W into 4ohms with the caveat that you DO NOT run in A+B mode. (basically, it would be line running 2 ohms on the amp)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah. The dayton is more desktop size though. I think it is a bit more flexible too. Partsexpress has a forum with a fostex section. Might be worth it to post a wtb. Also check out audiogon for some sweet used amps.

you can get some rotel rb 960 or 970s in your price range on audiogon, but no outputs. and im still not sure why you want outputs on a power amp...id imagine youd want it on your pre... if any thing.

Last edited:
you can get some rotel rb 960 or 970s in your price range on audiogon, but no outputs. and im still not sure why you want outputs on a power amp...or at all really.

Because I'm not using a reciever with this set up. Titanium HD to amp going to Behringer 2031P's and a Hsu STF-2. It's just a bedroom 2.1. The goal is musical accuracy.

Because I'm not using a reciever with this set up. Titanium HD to amp going to Behringer 2031P's and a Hsu STF-2. It's just a bedroom 2.1. The goal is musical accuracy.

but you said you didnt want an integrated amp? why? an Integrated amp would be perfect for you.

i dont understand why you want a power amp without a pre amp.

also, i dont understand why you dont use high level inputs on the subwoofer instead of RCA. thats the better way to musical accuracy. wire it in parallel if you want your speakers to get full range.... your not asking for a pre amp with bass management, so natually you intend for the sub and speakers to recieve full range and then use its own crossover. if thats the case, using the high level inputs in the way to go IMO..als

alternativley you could use a integrated amp with pre outs for the subwoofer. that way the volume control affects the subs volume also. on the dayton and the amp 100 they are just pass throughs. so youd have to adjust volume in windows. YUCK. windows volume should be maximum always, and adjusted on your amp. one more thing is if you plan to adjust volume on the PC, your going to want to set your amp to unity gain for highest fidelity, where is unity gain on the dayton dial? or audiosource dial? i certainly dont know.

if you want high fidelity for $150, your setup screams "integrated amp"

Last edited:
What makes using high level better? I've never heard that. I'm not against getting an integrated amp, I just don't think I need one. The speakers are internally crossed over, and the sub can be too. Volume would be adjusted via the Creative console.

ok, even if you adjust volume through the creative console, i would not necessarily look for amps with a line level pass through.

not better per se, but it suits your setup.
a) you dont have to go looking for an amp with pre outs or bass management which can get pricey, atleast $300
b) the volume will change with the speakers volume.
c) sub will always be in phase of speakers.
d) the impedance of the subwoofer amp will be in the 10s of thousands of ohms so putting it in parallel will make zero difference to your speakers or the amp. most of the time i hear people not wanting to use high level connections are fear that it will rob power that should be going to the speakers. it will do no such thing.

consider this, REL, who makes high quality subwoofers and are considered to be some of the most musical subwoofers ever, reccomends high level connections in parallel over line level.

ive got an energy csw-c8 wired in parralel with psb alpha b1s to a 25 year old NAD integrated amp and i tell you, its god damn magical.

He is right about using windows volume control.

I would look for a receiver in this case actually. I thought that you had a dac already. A receiver would give you the best sound quality with it's external dac and flexibility. In your price range, that is the best bet.

not sure a $150 reciever with a dac would be better than the titanium hd unless you go used...

I wasn't too woried about volume control, but easier is usually better. I planned on setting it and forgetting it, once the levels were adjusted properly. Easy enough to bump it up or down if I need to. The DAC in my card is actually pretty darn good, and I wasn't that interested in flexibility. This setup will probably always be a 2.1 separate from my HT.

I do already have a reciever in the living room, this will be just for games and music really. I don't ever plan on using headphones, somewhat hearing impaired and it doesn't give me quite the imaging and soundstage to be as enjoyable as a speaker setup.

I'll look into using the high level wiring, I never had any hangups about it like some do.

I still have a couple weeks to decide. Thanks

that sony has pre outs. so you can connect the L and R to the RCA inputs of your HSU and the volume will go up and down with the speakers.

Back