• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for affordable subwoofer for computer use

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
2FA
Joined
Oct 11, 2001
Messages
34,262
Most of all, it needs to take a dedicated subwoofer in line. I made the mistake of buying one of the acoustic audio subs that someone else recommended in here without checking, and it doesn't take a dedicated sub-in line, so I can't use my setup in 5.1 mode. :(

Anyone have a good sub out there that's actually affordable? Cheaper the better right now :-/
 
It seems like you have some specific needs regarding your sub (budget which is not known and thus hard to suggest a sub, dedicated sub in port, other stuff that may be important that we don't know (such as room size, type of application (PC, HT, audio, etc)). Have you checked the basic list of sub manufacturers out there? Just browsing the threads shows the basic companies known,

Acoustic Audio (as you seem to have tried them out)
TSC (suggested above)
Dayton
BIC
Polk
Yamaha
Energy
SVS (Edit: LOL my mistake ...its SVS and not SVC, been buying too many computer parts :p )
Ascend
Atlantic Technologies
HSU
Velodyne
Def Tech
AV123
Axiom
Elemental Design
Aperion Audio
Outlaw
JBL/Infinity


just to name a few.

These subs have been discussed to death in this forum. Prices, type, SQ and features vary all over the place. Have you checked out these companies and have a few you are interested in (at least in price and features)?
 
Last edited:
It's a small room, replacing a Klipsch promedia sub that had the amp die. I just want something that doesn't sound like marbles in a can, and has a dedicated subwoofer-in line. :p

PC audio/games/occasional movies and music.
 
You still haven't told us your budget. What have you found from the due diligence you have done so far?

If you want, you can go HSU. I can say even their lowest line cheapo sub the STF 1 has a dedicated sub in. I can also say it doesn't sound like a bunch of marbles in a can. :D The STF 1 can fill a room about 10 x 10 and slightly larger. It is about $300 but they had and may still have a 10% discount sale going on.
 
Last edited:
As cheap as I can get :( Lots of house repairs to do.

I don't know shit about subs, I tend to ignore them and just buy the cheapest I can. All I know is that the acoustic audio I just bought sounds like total horse crap using the L/R passthrough it has. I just want my klipsch mains not to sound like tinny $5 cheap junk anymore.

My due dilligence has told me that best buy and ultimate electronics want $400+ for a sub and that they don't make the promedias anymore, and it's a flawed design anyway.

edit: I don't know subs. I know headphones and actual monitors/etc, and instruments. I just tend to buy whatever sub and throw it in the mix most of the time.
 
Last edited:
tin is probably due to the promedia's rather than the sub to be honest. I would replace them first and see if you still need a sub. Get a good pair of monitors like the M-audio AV-40's or Swan d1080's (both around $100) and you should have your problem go away.

The #1 mistake in audio is to expect your sub to fix all your problems. A sub can't cover weak speakers that can't hit low enough. That sounds like what the problem you have is, as most pc speakers have weak speakers and a sub desperately overcompensating to cover the huge gap.
 
No, trust me - it's the sub. This thing has the WORST cutoff I've ever heard. No LFE connection, it only pulls from the stereo connections, and it's VERY abrupt and very harsh, on any setting. In addition, it's extremely muddled, even for a sub. It doesn't blend in at all. I've been working for almost 5 hours now trying to get it to sound decent, with 4 different sets of speakers, and it doesn't - it's junk.

It sounds like a cheap piece of equipment.

All it does is thump - almost NO tone out of it at all. I tried attaching it in my actual home theater, and it didn't do any better - the $300 Yamaha I have down there blew it away in every sense.

The klipsch mains/center are clean, sound very clear, and have good range for what they are.

The promedias sounded ~perfect~ for what I wanted till the amp died.



edit: All I want is a CHEAP sub with a LFE connection that doesn't sound like that piece of shit I just threw out the window. That's it.
 
Last edited:
Maybe something like this would fit the bill? http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW-10-10-Subwoofer-P62.aspx

Good thing about the speaker comp. is that it's free shipping and free return shipping if you don't like it.

BTW, a couple things that can work to create an lfe - just running a single rca in on either L/R. The other thing and/or you can do is to set the crossover on the sub higher than you want it to let the receiver do the work. Probably 15-20 hz or so higher probably would work well.
 
Maybe something like this would fit the bill? http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW-10-10-Subwoofer-P62.aspx

Good thing about the speaker comp. is that it's free shipping and free return shipping if you don't like it.

BTW, a couple things that can work to create an lfe - just running a single rca in on either L/R. The other thing and/or you can do is to set the crossover on the sub higher than you want it to let the receiver do the work. Probably 15-20 hz or so higher probably would work well.

I tried tried several wiring schemes - got almost no sound out of it with the single RCA into L/R from the Sub-out line on the receiver - it simply didn't make a peep. I tried speaker wire out, that sounded bad too. Best I could get was doing a passthrough of FL/FR from the soundcard, to the sub, to the receiver, with the crossover set as high as it'd go. And even then it was at best bad :(

Doesn't look like that one has a dedicated LFE in, does it? I like the return policy though.

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=ESW-10 D50093&source=fr

Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but anywhere you go usually that sub goes for 80-150USD. Not too bad for what you get.

Never heard of energy - looking them up. That have a dedicated LFE in, or is it also supposed to take speaker level RCA in?
 
all right. I'll try one of those two - leaning towards the energy, since they're actually made by Klipsch now, they might match the others decently well. Thanks :)
 
all right. I'll try one of those two - leaning towards the energy, since they're actually made by Klipsch now, they might match the others decently well. Thanks :)
That sub is sold out, and it's more expensive elsewhere. Check out these related posts 1 + 2

The TSC ASW-10 has an LFE input (shared).
The Speaker Company said:
Power ratings for the ASW-10 are 100 watts RMS, 200 watts peak, and an amazing 400 watts dynamically. What that means to the listener is a great experience when listening to music or movie soundtracks, particularly on multi-channel media with a dedicated LFE channel!

surprise surprise :D
 
In terms of extremely cheap, like < $100 subs, I can't help, I don't know of any. In the $100-200 category, Yamaha YST subs are what I'd recommend. They sell them with some of their HTIB setups. I'm not overly impressed, but they are fine for the money. If you can spend $250-500 or so, then I'd look at JBL's ES subs, in particular the ES150P and ES250P. I am extremely pleased with the quality of these over all. My roommate had an ES150P out in the living room and it did quite a good job. Plenty of bass, didn't get all muddy, not bad for the cash at all.

If you are looking at $500 or more, then I have only one answer: SVS. Their subs are just awesome. They don't have anything super cheap, but the subs they do have give you tons for the money. I'd recommend them all the way up to the $3000-4000 range. I realize they don't make subs costing that much, but their subs are that good that they compete with ones costing that much.
 
I tried tried several wiring schemes - got almost no sound out of it with the single RCA into L/R from the Sub-out line on the receiver - it simply didn't make a peep. I tried speaker wire out, that sounded bad too. Best I could get was doing a passthrough of FL/FR from the soundcard, to the sub, to the receiver, with the crossover set as high as it'd go. And even then it was at best bad :(

If you are not connected to a sub in, are you using the high L and R inputs on the sub? In other words did you connect the sound card analog out to high L and R connections?
 
If you are not connected to a sub in, are you using the high L and R inputs on the sub? In other words did you connect the sound card analog out to high L and R connections?

I had it hooked up to the sub-out for a while, and when that didn't work well or at all, I hooked it up the way you describe, which got the closest, but still suonded horrible.
 
Thanks lopoetve. I was just wondering this because I am not sure if one can connect the analog output of a card to the high ins of the sub to get a good signal since the card's output is a low level output. I don't know enough about subs to know. I am hoping there is still a possible option to connecting to the sub you already have.
 
... Well... yeah... I don't think it'll work anymore...

>_<

There was... an incident :p
 
Back
Top