Looking for Advice

minni14

n00b
This group helped me out a few years back when I was looking to put together a home server ESX whitebox, and everything work wonderfully. Until a few weeks ago.

Here is basically what the box was made of:

BX80623I72700K – CPU

F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM – 2 Packs of RAM (16G total)

GA-B75M-D3H – MOBO.

Some disks, some nics and some fans.

Something went wrong and I am having a hard time pinpointing it, swapped all the disks, the NICS, PSU, tested the RAM. Everything will boot and I can load an OS but it will eventually turn off with no apparent trigger. Pulled everything out ran it on a cutting board to make sure it wasn’t grounding out, replaced the thermal paste. I guess that leave me with a likely failed MOBO.

I am trying to figure out if it is worth the cost to replace the mobo with and stick with the old LGA 1155 chip or swap the chip the board and the RAM?

I use this for some dev work, and some testing and tinkering. Nothing is production on it, and all the specs of the old box really did what I needed them to do. 16G RAM and no hardware pass though was fine.

It looks like people have moved more to enterprise class hardware, and there isn’t a lot of info on consumer grade builds.

Can I get an opinion on if it is worth buying one of the limited LGA 1155 boards out there, or if I should go with a new board, RAM and CPU. Also if the latter makes more sense I would love suggestions. Trying to keep this around a $300-$400 fix.

thanks!

IMO it sounds like the board. It may be the processor but doubt it. Replace the board if you can. Heck, for your budget I could easily put you into enterprise class hardware with 16gb ram.

Back