• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for advice on audio setup for my PC

zadillo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 15, 2005
Messages
140
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can give me some advice on the best way to enhance my audio setup.

Currently, I have an MSI K8T Neo2-FISR motherboard with Realtek AC'97 on-board audio. My case is an Antec SLK3700BQE which doesn't have any front audio jacks. I have JBL Creature II speakers, and a Logitech Precision Gaming headset/mic (which I think I'd like to replace since it isn't comfortable for me to wear).

I'm interested in getting an X-Fi card, but I have some concerns. I've been reading some of the posts here to try and learn more about it, and the part I'm especially concerned with is the whole "FlexiJack" thing. It sounds like you either have to use it for speakers or a mic, but you can't use both.

At this point, I'm thinking that the X-Fi Platinum makes the most sense, since I could use the X-Fi's audio jack for my Creature II speakers, and then the jacks on the front I/O port for a headset.... and this would be pretty nice, since again, my current case doesn't have its own front audio jacks. But I also don't know much about this, and wonder if there's a better way (i.e. with other cables, could I hook the Creature II speakers up using some other method). $200 does seem like a bit much to me to spend, but I get the impression that you get your money's worth.

Aside from that, if I get the X-Fi, is there a better audio connection to use to hook my speakers up to it, or would that only come into play with higher end speakers?

If anyone also has any good advice on a good headset that I could use (ideally I'd like something that had good audio quality so I could use the same headset just for audio even when I didn't need the mic), I'd also appreciate it.

The other option I was thinking of was to just buy the XtremeMusic, and get a USB headset, so if anyone has any good recommendations for doing that, please let me know.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can offer!

Thanks,

Zadillo
 
I sadly can't advise on any headsets, but the flexijack connection should be no problem. The flexijack can only be set to either digital out or microphone, which means that you can in fact have an analogue speaker system and mic at the same time with no problem with the cheapest X-fi. I myself have several times played Civ 4 with 7.1 on and Ventrilo on in the background. This is as far as I can help you.. :(
 
TheManko said:
I sadly can't advise on any headsets, but the flexijack connection should be no problem. The flexijack can only be set to either digital out or microphone, which means that you can in fact have an analogue speaker system and mic at the same time with no problem with the cheapest X-fi. I myself have several times played Civ 4 with 7.1 on and Ventrilo on in the background. This is as far as I can help you.. :(

I see. How does that work exactly? I mean, how would I hook up my headset (which has two jacks) and my speakers? Right now I use an audio switcher device that I got (which lets me press a switch to switch from headset+mic to speakers), but even that has to plug into the headphones and mic ports on my onboard audio.

If there's a simple way for me to hook up my speakers and my headset to it, then I think I would just get the XtremeMusic.

EDIT: Ahh, nm. So I would use the FlexiJack for the mic, and Line level out for the spakers (and if I continue using my audio switcher, I'd just plug the mic port to the mic, and the audio portion to the line level out, and use it like my onboard audio)? That makes sense. For some reason I was thinking that wouldn't quite work.

-Zadillo
 
i don't think its worth purchasing an x-fi w/ the current speakers you have
 
Xeero said:
i don't think its worth purchasing an x-fi w/ the current speakers you have

Really? I had thought they were decent speakers.... I mainly bought them because of the excellent reviews they had. There's really no point in the X-Fi? (I was thinking sound quality would still be better, and I'd get some improvement in game performance compared to using the Realtek AC'97 on-board audio).

Just what sort of speakers do you need to have then? JBL Creature II 2.1 speakers wouldn't see any benefit?

-Zadillo
 
Even with the worst speakers you'll hear an improvement, but maybe not as big as with fancier speakers. Don't forget that you'll get CMSS Virtual with X-fi, which creates pretty good virtual surround in 3d games with 2 speakers.
 
Back
Top