Looking For Advice - 4GB@1T

Pulse.01

n00b
Greetings,

Here's the rub: I am currently running 4GB of DDR2 RAM on my Windows 7 machine. It is 2GB of Mushkin black, 1GB of OCZ, and 1GB of Super Talent generic. I am running this setup at 5-5-5-18 @ 1T and 2.3v. They are running a 1:1 ratio with my processor, which is overclocked to 3.6 from 2.66, which brings them to 900MHz.

For me, the 1T setting seems to bring the greatest noticeable increase in speed. I can tell that windows pop up faster, the OS is snappier, etc. Unless someone can tell me of a better solution, I need to get some new memory, 4GB worth of DDR2. I am planning on running these @1T if possible. Currently, I am starting to get some random crashes and I am pretty certain it is the RAM. The Mushkin sticks previously failed me and these are my RMA'd pair, likely that they might not be able to handle the voltage or whatever else the reason might be. Previously, I was running only the 2GB of Mushkin with XP Pro. They failed and I RMA'd them, and was using the other two sticks with 0 problems. I just recently installed Windows 7 x64 and added the Mushkin. Everything was silky smooth for some time, but recently I have been getting crashes. Coincidentally or not, it actually seemed to start happening once I stopped using my headphones and started using my 5.1 Z5500 Logitech speakers with which to play Dragon Age: Origins. Either way, I still need to order some new RAM.

I would welcome some suggestions that anyone might have on a 4GB set that can run nicely at 1T, unless someone has a suggestion that I might find to make the new RAM faster than it would be running at 1T. Thank you for your time.

Pretty much any 2 x 2GB kit is going to run 1T "IF" your chipset can handle it. Command rate is chipset dependent, not RAM dependent.

That said,if you are stable, changing memory to go from 2T to 1T will only benefit you in synthetic benchmarks. In real world usage, you will not be able to tell the difference between 1T and 2T.

Well, that is the reason I actually want to run it at 1T is because I do see a difference in real world usage.

I'll test it out again 1T vs. 2T but last time I did I found a noticeable difference in Windows response time. Granted, that was XP Pro and I now run 7 x64.

Well, I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered:

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

They were selling for $100.99 + sweet $20.00 mail-in rebate.

I knew I should have ordered a bunch of extra RAM a couple months ago when it would have been half this price, of course hindsight is 20/20. Thought I just might have a DDR3 rig built sooner than this, but oh well.

Well, my OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 2x2GB arrived today. Installed and working just right. They are some hefty, solid feeling sticks considering the nice thick heatsinks that they come with. I must say I am rather impressed thus far with them. They are installed currently running 5-5-5-18@1T 2.2v 1:1 Ratio 900MHz. So far no problems, silky smooth performance, even seems smoother than with the 4 sticks populating every slot of the MoBo's RAM. I swear the Windows is running just that little extra bit better, perhaps it's just my mind, or the fact it isn't 4 slots populated with 3 different types of manuf. RAM, or that I drank some really good coffee from Indonesia, who knows?

Back